Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
saflang
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Engine Vibrations 2000-3000RPM

Finally after 9000km I was able to take my 2013 M5 on some nice open mountain highways pushing it up some nice long inclines for a good 3 hours or more. (the posted speed limits are just a suggestion, right ?)

Anyhow I then realized that on some long straight stretches (ever so slightly uphill and flat) the car would shudder (vibrate) while in 7th (later in 6th as well) starting at 2000 rpms all the way up to 3000 rpms. Below and above this range everything felt fine. And it's not wheel balancing as downshifting keeping the same speed cured the problem.

Just as a check I put it into D1 and sure enough the car chose to stay in 7th gear (at 2000 rpm I'm doing about 126 Kph) without automatically downshifting into 6th. Checks on Oil temperature showed everything was normal and the levels were fine as well.

The vibrations were enough to shake the rear view mirror so I was forced to downshift into 6th and sometimes into 5th for the car to run smooth.

It really felt as if it were lugging and under-powered which is almost unbelievable.

Anyhow, has anyone else felt this? Is this normal? If not, how can the dealership test for this as locally we don't have any stretches long enough to keep between these rev's in 7th gear (legally).

extra info - I mainly do city driving and oil consumption has been horrible. Normally consuming a quart every 900 to 1300km. But I've done some long trips lately 500-700km stretches (the above being the last one) and although I pushed it hard up lots of hills etc. not a drop of oil was consumed (2200km+). So it would seem the M5 does not like short trips.
      07-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
saflang
Private
Canada
Rep

No one has felt this vibration? aarrgghh, I'm hoping it's just dirty fuel injectors, although the vibrations were more pronounced with the engine hot (driven for a few hours)
      07-02-2014, 06:13 PM   #3
sham
Private
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

Hi saflang,
finally someone like me.
I have the same and i got the following changed by my dealer: rims, tires, 4 front Control arms but the vibration is still noticable in 7th gear between 2k and 3 k rpm.
see my post in that matter. i will paste it here.
My dealer replaced the parts under warranty but they think it is rather the drive shaft or the diff which is causing vibration not the engine.
regards
sh

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=986783
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
saflang
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sham View Post
Hi saflang,
finally someone like me.
I have the same and i got the following changed by my dealer: rims, tires, 4 front Control arms but the vibration is still noticable in 7th gear between 2k and 3 k rpm.
see my post in that matter. i will paste it here.
My dealer replaced the parts under warranty but they think it is rather the drive shaft or the diff which is causing vibration not the engine.
regards
sh

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=986783
Well I hope my issues are nothing like yours, that would be quite the surgery to go the next step and replace the other items under consideration.

I'm thinking my is still closer to engine fuel management as I only feel the vibrations while trying to hold speed or slowly accelerating through the RPMs from 2000 to 3000 in 6th and 7th. Taking my foot off of the gas completely alleviates the problem.
      07-04-2014, 05:11 AM   #5
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

I have the same thing and have had it since I bought the car. I believe its just that the car struggles on low rpm in auto mode. only happens in 7th gear, and also i think 6th gear for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 10:36 AM   #6
mchgcp
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Hello,
Like many, I have the famous vibration. But mine looks like the one described in this post. From 140km / h and accelerating, the vibration is very present on the report 7. on the report 6, I feel less. Someone already had this type of vibration and how did it solve?
Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 07:17 PM   #7
KrumS63
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5, BMW X5 E53 4.8is

Hello, this sounds a lot like an issue i've had with my 2013 M5, did any of you manage to figure out what the cause is?

I got the car at around 80k kms 3 years and put around 40k km since then, over that period i have changed injectors, coils, spark plugs twice, mafs, O2s, engine mounts, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft guibos, rear axle shafts but the mentioned vibration still persists.

It is most noticeable when throttle is applied at around 1900rpm in 5th/6th/7th gears, vibration is felt through steering wheel, seats, center console, and starts subsiding at around 2800rpm. Once the gas pedal is released when in that range the vibration disappears, i.e. if i coast in any of those gears between 1900-2800rpm there is no vibration, until throttle is applied.

Does not trigger a check engine light. Would do it in auto or manual mode, seems to be more pronounced in sport plus setting.

Thanks

Last edited by KrumS63; 01-02-2024 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0