M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

04-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Post Official US M5 Dealer Experiences, Allotment, and Pricing

As the M5 order banks open up this week in the US there have been various questions around which dealer to work with, who has what allotment, and pricing for the 2013 M5. Each dealer has the ability to offer their own price. We have heard of some dealers being more greedy while others being fair and reasonable with pricing. This thread is to share dealer experiences, individual dealer pricing, and any allotment information one may have on their dealer. Let's leverage the power of our group to help reward the good dealers while calling out the bad ones.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
ihc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2103 F10 M5

I sent an email to my dealer (in Westmont, IL -- a western suburb of Chicago) that I did not want to pay over MSRP, or I would consider Euro delivery. My dealer subsequently emailed back that they would not be charging over MSRP. He also stated however that a Euro delivery order needs to come out of their dealership's car allotment. Given the fact that Euro delivery is discounted $6K, I am considering this nonetheless!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
davidvahn
X-wing Fighter Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2103 M5 - I'm from the future.

Here - Take My Money

Hello,

Here is a snapshot of my dealer experience so far. This should be titled. "Here - take my money."

I went through multiple dealers (in all but 1, through the Internet department) before I finally settled on dealer which is going to get my money. Your experience may very.

*Santa Monica BMW*
Very presumptuous. I'd rather you just ask me for my W2 statement and get it out of the way. I'd probably even be ok with that if it meant you started treating a customer who is actively trying to spend 6 figures well.

*Nick Alexander BMW*
Nice enough guy, but 100% clueless about the M5, how to order one, where BMW was in the process. Promised answers but never got back to me.

*South Bay BMW*
Complete waste of time. Arrogant and clueless.

*BMW Encinitas*
This guy had my business and lost it. Ray P. (sales manger) was referred through a mutual friend. He was pretty on the ball for the longest time. Not the quickest with emails, but they came and they were accurate and concise. He was very knowledge about the //M line overall.

Then the M5 Order Bank opened up and he didn't respond to any of my mails.

It's sort of a shame, really. The guy earned and had my business but didn't want it. *shrug*

*Steve Thomas*
I have 1 week of experience with them and I gave them $5 deposit. Here is how it went.

One very heavy M5 message board poster promotes Steve Thomas like he is Steve Thomas himself. I'm skeptical of this kind of thing, but after my frustration not getting return contact from the Encinitas dealer I emailed them and thus began a relationship with Ryan A.

He emailed me back within minutes early on a Saturday or Sunday morning a week ago and said, "Call me." So I did. We chatted briefly. I told him what I was wanted and emailed him some details. I asked him to contact me as soon as I could place an order.

1/2 through the week, we had a brief hiccup that almost ended our affair.

I think Ryan was testing me when he called me mid-week to say that "Steve Thomas family had not decided if they are going to sell the car at MSRP or $5k over." I simply said, "I could probably do that."

And, I could, but probably would not.

Later that week, Ryan emailed again to say, "We had a meeting and have agreed to sell the car at MSRP."

I am happy enough with the experience that I gave them $5k deposit yesterday. I'm 100% sure that if I had met Ryan before I went through all the drama with the other dealers, it might not be going so well. That experience taught me a lot and made it easier to be concise with Ryan what I wanted to do about the M5.

David

Last edited by davidvahn; 05-06-2012 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Formatting. Readability.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
hakaida442
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS

Thanks for sharing your experience. The M5 is one of 3 cars that I am considering to buy within the next month or few months from now and it helps knowing which dealers are bastards and which ones are fair.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
cmhsam
Major
Rep

It's sad to hear that in this economy that when someone is trying to buy a six figure car they can't spend the money or get treated poorly.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
Merc1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AW

Can someone tell me what my realistic wait time is to even order? I'm #14 out of the 15 that my dealer has available. Classic BMW in Plano TX, right outside of Dallas. All dealers in the state have about the same length waiting list for the M5.

This waiting has me discouraged and thinking of other BMWs, or even outside of the BMW family.

M
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1
Can someone tell me what my realistic wait time is to even order? I'm #14 out of the 15 that my dealer has available. Classic BMW in Plano TX, right outside of Dallas. All dealers in the state have about the same length waiting list for the M5.

This waiting has me discouraged and thinking of other BMWs, or even outside of the BMW family.

M
Why do you have to order for in state? There's plenty of dealers in the country especially in smaller markets that have much shorter lists. And you can just have the car shipped to your local dealer for delivery

Nobody will be able to tell you how long you will have to wait right now because allocation info hasn't been sent to dealers yet. Once yours gets their allocation info we'll be able to better guess how long your wait will be.

My suggestion is call all around and get on a much shorter list. Don't lose faith and bail.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 01:45 AM   #8
davidvahn
X-wing Fighter Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2103 M5 - I'm from the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1 View Post

M
Do you mean 14 out of 15 in line?

AFAIK, and most have confirmed, dealers don't have allocation. If they told you they would get 15 allocated, I declare shenanigans and so should you.

I'm no expert but some of the highest volume dealers in CA don't have a waiting list, let alone one 14 deep.

David
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #9
cmhsam
Major
Rep

I believe there is a small dealership near Charlotte, NC in Hickory that has a small waiting list, less than 5
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
Merc1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09BlkSapphire View Post
Why do you have to order for in state? There's plenty of dealers in the country especially in smaller markets that have much shorter lists. And you can just have the car shipped to your local dealer for delivery

Nobody will be able to tell you how long you will have to wait right now because allocation info hasn't been sent to dealers yet. Once yours gets their allocation info we'll be able to better guess how long your wait will be.

My suggestion is call all around and get on a much shorter list. Don't lose faith and bail.
Yeah it is looking that way, may have to go out of state. I just don't want no funny business from the local dealer if I go that route and have to bring the car to them for service etc.

M
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #11
Merc1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidvahn View Post
Do you mean 14 out of 15 in line?

AFAIK, and most have confirmed, dealers don't have allocation. If they told you they would get 15 allocated, I declare shenanigans and so should you.

I'm no expert but some of the highest volume dealers in CA don't have a waiting list, let alone one 14 deep.

David

There is so much money in north Dallas, you wouldn't believe the Dallas North Tollway in the evenings. All types of exotics and S-Classes and 3-Series everywhere. Both dealers here have about 15 people waiting with paid deposits, ready to order. I have calls into some other dealers to find out what their lists look like. Oh, yes I mean 15 on their list waiting to order, he doesn't know what the actual allocation is yet.

M
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
Merc1
Private
Rep

"We have 10 allocated so far, with others on the waiting list. So I’m afraid you won’t fare any better here – Sorry!

Larry Stenson
BMW of Austin"

Got 2 more emails back like this. Sigh....

Time to head out of state.

M
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #13
matthewEW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TT RS

Quote:
I just don't want no funny business from the local dealer if I go that route and have to bring the car to them for service etc.
M
Are you worried that if you buy your BMW from another State that you won't be able to have it serviced at a local dealer -- that's total BS. I am sure even a lowly Kia bought at another Dealership will be serviced at a local (Kia) Dealership what more a BMW. If that local BMW Dealer will not service your out of State bought BMW then you can certainly lodge a complaint with BMWNA!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
Merc1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewEW View Post
Are you worried that if you buy your BMW from another State that you won't be able to have it serviced at a local dealer -- that's total BS. I am sure even a lowly Kia bought at another Dealership will be serviced at a local (Kia) Dealership what more a BMW. If that local BMW Dealer will not service your out of State bought BMW then you can certainly lodge a complaint with BMWNA!
Nah its not that, I know they will service it, but the treatment isn't the same sometime, like with loaner cars and such. Some dealers tend to get pissed when you service with, but don't buy from them. Just my experience.

M
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #15
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
I called BMW of North Haven 2 weeks ago - spoke to some guy named Jim. I explained that I had purchased two cars from them and was looking for info regarding the M5. I gave him my email and number to get back to me with any info he had, his wait list etc. I've still yet to get a call back. Also of note, when I brought my e46 M3 into service back in 2006, they returned it with an SMG warning light I'd never had before. Until the day I traded it in, it never was fixed. So I would steer clear of BMW of North Haven. Here I am trying to give this guy $100k and he doesn't even call me back!
      05-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #16
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Nah its not that, I know they will service it, but the treatment isn't the same sometime, like with loaner cars and such. Some dealers tend to get pissed when you service with, but don't buy from them. Just my experience.

M
This is very true here in NJ - one dealership I used to go too would not give me a loaner because the car wasnt purchased there.
      05-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #17
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
I always go straight to Derek Dicker @ Shelly BMW. No bullshit, straight up guy. I've done 4,5 deals with the team for the past 5,6 yrs. When the order bank opened up, he texted me, time to order