04-08-2016, 09:40 AM   #1
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

Picked up a code on the car today. I haven't found a definition for it. P12E3

Anyone have a defintion?

I would spend time looking for I am traveling. Nothing unusual noted in how the car is running.

edit: I have since spent some time looking and have not come up with anything. If E90Fleet or someone else has access to vehicle specific code look up and can share that would be great. My Actron code reader and data logger says it is manufacture specific and not in their system. I've clear it and it hasn't returned but would still like to know what it is incase that knowledge provides some foreshadowing.

I did capture the data frame from the vehicle for the event time that the code was logged. I'm happy to provide that if someone thinks it would be meaningful on the thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 11:04 PM   #2
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep

I drove the car yesterday. No re-occurrence of the error. Still no joy on getting a definition of the prior DTC. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 09:39 AM   #3
DaveCM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Sapphire Black

In looking online I couldn't find BMW reference but found Corvette and Volkswagon. Although it's probably no help here they are:

Corvette:
DTC P12E3
Cylinder Deactivation Exhaust Flow Valve Control Circuit Open

Volkswagon:
P12E3
Fault description

Camshaft position actuator cam, exhaust A cylinder 1 - outage

Last edited by DaveCM5; 04-13-2016 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 09:49 AM   #4
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntomferg
I drove the car yesterday. No re-occurrence of the error. Still no joy on getting a definition of the prior DTC. Anyone?
Any exhaust mods, specifically the exhaust flaps?

DaveC above is in the same zone I am...I believe it's a Bosch Code, definitely exhaust related but I'd expect it to be tied to a fault code with Cyl 6 on the opposite bank if its anything to do with VANOS or anything ahead of the Cats.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep

Just the exhaustmeister control box but have had that for years and no recent software updates. Fortunately I have not seen the error again.

edit: Thanks for the responses though... I was starting to think my thread wouldn't get any love since it didn't involve sexy cosmetic items. <wink>
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 11:02 AM   #6
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Just the exhaustmeister control box but have had that for years and no recent software updates. Fortunately I have not seen the error again.

edit: Thanks for the responses though... I was starting to think my thread wouldn't get any love since it didn't involve sexy cosmetic items. <wink>
It's most likely that being switched just as Cyl 1 closes the exhaust valves but the back pressure changes unexpectedly with the exhaust flap opening or closing.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 04:13 AM   #7
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten View Post
It's most likely that being switched just as Cyl 1 closes the exhaust valves but the back pressure changes unexpectedly with the exhaust flap opening or closing.
I'm going to go with your theory. Haven't had the code again so it seems very plausible that I opened the valves at just the right moment and won the CEL lottery.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 12:29 PM   #8
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten View Post
I'm going to go with your theory. Haven't had the code again so it seems very plausible that I opened the valves at just the right moment and won the CEL lottery.
Out of curiosity, what is your build date?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 02:09 PM   #9
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep

I picked up October 1, 2012 in Munich. I was in the first US bound M5 batch to NOT BE affected by the oil pump recall.
Appreciate 0