BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-28-2016, 10:46 AM   #1
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

European market?

I was on the hunt for a new or slightly used M5... I just got the word that I am moving to Amsterdam for a couple of years for work.

I will be issued a car allowance which would cover a basic 5 series or A6.

I know the US is the cheapest car market in the world... and I also know an M5 is about 175k euros in The Netherlands.... yikes!

What is the used market like? any suggestions on how to get a reasonably priced M5? Import? Ideas??

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 10:56 AM   #2
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
I was on the hunt for a new or slightly used M5... I just got the word that I am moving to Amsterdam for a couple of years for work.

I will be issued a car allowance which would cover a basic 5 series or A6.

I know the US is the cheapest car market in the world... and I also know an M5 is about 175k euros in The Netherlands.... yikes!

What is the used market like? any suggestions on how to get a reasonably priced M5? Import? Ideas??

Thanks!
When does this assignment begin? The Netherlands has different options for transient persons and their goods as well as EU/Non-EU origination, duties and excise taxes.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 11:25 AM   #3
avi8tir
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten View Post
When does this assignment begin? The Netherlands has different options for transient persons and their goods as well as EU/Non-EU origination, duties and excise taxes.

Likely June 1st.... have to get my house sold and sort some things before I can go
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #4
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
Likely June 1st.... have to get my house sold and sort some things before I can go
It has to be owned for more than 6 months prior to arrival to qualify for tax-free importation and tax-free registration of household removal goods (1 car is allowed per household on the first relocation).
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 11:50 AM   #5
avi8tir
Captain
Rep

So, no tax breaks as a non-citizen once I arrive?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 12:31 PM   #6
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir
So, no tax breaks as a non-citizen once I arrive?
With cars, there isn't much really, especially for a US Citizen. What comes with you on arrival and declared tax-exempt goods (this all has to be pre-arranged and granted) has to leave with you as well. Even if the prerequisites could be met, anything not on the NHTSA Approved Non-Conforming lists or more than 25 years old cannot come back. There are subtle differences with local taxes depending on the district of residence within The Netherlands.

It's one of the more restrictive EU States because there are far more mid-upper class transient foreign workers in relation to the national population than most of the other EU states.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 05:22 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

A used F10 M5 will run around 100K euros. My suggestion would be to get a 535d or even a 520d. Driving on the Dutch highways is not that nice. Everyone parks their cars in the left lane. You have to come visit Germany for some "real" drivers. And once you see how much the Dutch charge for gasoline and annual taxes on their cars... you will thank me later!

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/se...500%3B46&cn=NL

http://occasions.autoscout24.nl/?aty...k-Button&dtr=s
Appreciate 0