M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

11-23-2016, 05:25 AM   #1
kapfel
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

B&O Sound

I have a 2016 with B&O and I'm not sure if it's a setting I need to adjust or a speaker issue. Two things I've noticed is the center channel when I'm on the phone sounds like the speaker is rattling. I adjusted the volume to half and adjusted the bluetooth volume to half as well and it still makes noise. I've tried putting a little pressure on the top of it during conversations and it seems to stop. The second issue is the driver side rear door speaker also sounds like it's rattling when I'm playing music from a USB stick. The dealer said they found no issue. I'm positive I've also heard it rattle when going down the highway with the music off on rough road. Anyone experience the same?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 08:19 AM   #2
evilb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: McLaren MSO 570S, 18 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapfel View Post
I have a 2016 with B&O and I'm not sure if it's a setting I need to adjust or a speaker issue. Two things I've noticed is the center channel when I'm on the phone sounds like the speaker is rattling. I adjusted the volume to half and adjusted the bluetooth volume to half as well and it still makes noise. I've tried putting a little pressure on the top of it during conversations and it seems to stop. The second issue is the driver side rear door speaker also sounds like it's rattling when I'm playing music from a USB stick. The dealer said they found no issue. I'm positive I've also heard it rattle when going down the highway with the music off on rough road. Anyone experience the same?
Take a picture of your B&O Equalizer settings and post them for me please. Also your Bass/Treble settings. Remember, if using the EQ, your bass/treble should be flat. Also note that you should only attenuate the EQ. Do not raise frequencies above the midline.

As for the center speaker, there is a TSB for this. Rattling center generally results in a new speaker cover first, then a full replacement if that doesn't work.

Your EQ settings are likely the culprit of rattles and resonance.

Best,
Brad
      11-23-2016, 03:51 PM   #3
kapfel
Rep

OK lets see if I posted the pics correctly. I appreciate you looking at this for me!

- Keith
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 08:25 PM   #4
evilb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

100hz (low freq) and 10khz (highest freq) are eq'd to their highest settings. Pull those back to the middle bar. Move the other eq frequencies to the same spot, but below the middle bar. Anything above midpoint adds gain to those frequencies, essentially amplifying them to 'abnormal' levels.

Your bass and treble settings are also above the mid point. Try dropping them back a bit. What you'll do is add more range of volume to your sound system. Yes, you will lose boomy bass at lower volumes, but that's artificially boosted bass. Your ears will adjust.

I guarantee the reduction in 10khz will fix the perception of center channel rattle. What you were likely hearing was tweeter distortion.

Best,
Brad
      11-23-2016, 08:36 PM   #5
evilb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Once you adjust these down, it's perfectly fine to have maybe 1-2 bar adjustment above the middle bar for 100hz or 10khz. BUT, keep overall bass/treble flat if possible. And keep in mind as you add gain to certain frequencies, you reduce the amount of volume adjustment prior to reaching distortion of the speakers.

I prefer adjusting EQ's based on max volume level when I hear distortion on reference material (e.g. a very well recorded and mastered album), then adjust things down a mark or two from there.

Also I would recommend using "Expanded" mode, not "Studio."
      11-25-2016, 12:54 AM   #6
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

I prefer Studio over Expanded, but otherwise good recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 06:40 AM   #7
kapfel
Rep

Spot on! Sounds a little on the flat side but I'll tweak it. I didn't realize how off the setting were. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 08:21 AM   #8
evilb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapfel View Post
Spot on! Sounds a little on the flat side but I'll tweak it. I didn't realize how off the setting were. Thanks again!
Outstanding! Play with it gradually... play a few albums that you really like and listen to regularly. Make sure those are being streamed from Spotify at "High Quality," or that your MP3's are 192k-320k (or FLAC, preferred).

Remember, this just means the volume level that you'll hear the same level of bass will just be higher.

Another tip. Make sure to disable ASD either through a JB4 or coding via eSys.

Any questions, LMK and I'll try my best. Curious to see if you still have rattling or buzzing issues.

Brad
      12-02-2016, 07:14 PM   #9
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F13 M6 Coupe

You should be able to fix this one without going to the dealer.

Here's the SIB:
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/attachm...5&d=1385460069
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #10
ConsumerFanatics
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

FWIW and IMO, except to alleviate your rattling issue, there is no technical reason to keep your EQ frequencies at or below the midpoint. It's all preferential and it really depends what you're listening to and how the system and your ears responds.

I have certain frequencies, including low and high, above the midpoint, but nothing too high. That's what I believe evilb is trying to say; don't overdo it.

I definitely prefer Studio over Expanded. Expanded sounds too artificial, like a digital rendering of surround sound. I think it might work well with classical and music that was recorded live or in a big auditorium.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 12:36 PM   #11
evilb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsumerFanatics View Post
FWIW and IMO, except to alleviate your rattling issue, there is no technical reason to keep your EQ frequencies at or below the midpoint. It's all preferential and it really depends what you're listening to and how the system and your ears responds.

I have certain frequencies, including low and high, above the midpoint, but nothing too high. That's what I believe evilb is trying to say; don't overdo it.

I definitely prefer Studio over Expanded. Expanded sounds too artificial, like a digital rendering of surround sound. I think it might work well with classical and music that was recorded live or in a big auditorium.
'Technically,' you're right, there is no technical reason to not put the EQ levels above the midpoint, or they wouldn't offer that as an option. However, you're simply electronically boosting the source material and potentially coloring the sound. And, the higher you go, the more risk you have of resonance, rattles, buzzing, and potentially speaker damage at higher volumes or even just by using different source material (such as hardcore rap vs. jazz).

Your ears won't lie to you... but overdoing it will definitely create those nasty sounds at certain volumes that you just don't want.

Best,
Brad
      12-28-2016, 12:47 PM   #12
ConsumerFanatics
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilb View Post
'Technically,' you're right, there is no technical reason to not put the EQ levels above the midpoint, or they wouldn't offer that as an option. However, you're simply electronically boosting the source material and potentially coloring the sound. And, the higher you go, the more risk you have of resonance, rattles, buzzing, and potentially speaker damage at higher volumes or even just by using different source material (such as hardcore rap vs. jazz).

Your ears won't lie to you... but overdoing it will definitely create those nasty sounds at certain volumes that you just don't want.

Best,
Brad
I agree with you. EQing does color the sound. It's not a bad thing. Why have an EQ if you can't move it both ways?

You're suggesting to not move it past midpoint or close to it, which I think is a little extreme. I think the best advice is to experiment, but remember not to overdo it.

Not trying to argue with you, just providing another point of view on EQing. In my experience with the B&O system, it responds well to boosting certain frequencies for certain types of music. I think we're on the same page.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 01:17 PM   #13
evilb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Best,
Brad
I agree with you. EQing does color the sound. It's not a bad thing. Why have an EQ if you can't move it both ways?

You're suggesting to not move it past midpoint or close to it, which I think is a little extreme. I think the best advice is to experiment, but remember not to overdo it.

Not trying to argue with you, just providing another point of view on EQing. In my experience with the B&O system, it responds well to boosting certain frequencies for certain types of music. I think we're on the same page.
Yes sir, I think we are on the same page! Like I said above, I like to tune my systems for maximum volume w/o distortion. Not everybody listens like that. I'm a windows-down, metal blaring, drive fast guy
      12-28-2016, 01:20 PM   #14
ConsumerFanatics
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes sir, I think we are on the same page! Like I said above, I like to tune my systems for maximum volume w/o distortion. Not everybody listens like that. I'm a windows-down, metal blaring, drive fast guy
I think you're using the M5 correctly
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #15
evilb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I think you're using the M5 correctly
Hahaha yeah! I'm pretty sure anyone tuning the B&O for best sound quality on NPR should be banned.
Almaretto2374.00
      04-05-2017, 11:36 PM   #16
RomeoFranchino
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M 2017

Hi Guys,

i'm looking for a best Bang & Olufsen setting for some hip hop music & need a good bass to

anyone can post me there best settings for a BMW X5M 2017

Thanks to all
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 12:16 AM   #17
BMWAUDIO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Frozen Gray , 997 C4S

You are boosting the bass and the treble in the eq and then boosting again with the bass and treble.
pull the bass and trable down to the middle position and start w/ the eq flat
from there you can make 1 increment changes in the eq
good luck
Appreciate 0