M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

01-26-2017, 02:09 PM   #23
Lennon997
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Really I would love to see your facts on this....I owned one and sold it for over msrp 8 months later. Do you have tangible data?

Yes PDK is prevalent but GT3's are not.

Bimmer6 Is an owner of an RS and previous "pdk" owner- what say you sir?
I sold my launch gt3 for considerable over MSRP, when the engines were blowing up.

I've had about 7 mates with GT's sell them for the whiff of a rumor of a manual version.

these PDK 991s will drop, and if you believe that a lot of porsche owners whom own these cars wouldn't want a manual version well then.............idk..

Time will tell but in 2-3 years revisit this and look at the value versus the values of the 997's
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 02:19 PM   #24
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennon997 View Post
I sold my launch gt3 for considerable over MSRP, when the engines were blowing up.

I've had about 7 mates with GT's sell them for the whiff of a rumor of a manual version.

these PDK 991s will drop, and if you believe that a lot of porsche owners whom own these cars wouldn't want a manual version well then.............idk..

Time will tell but in 2-3 years revisit this and look at the value versus the values of the 997's
I agree with your premise some what in 2 to 3 years, but th 997 did go up for a couple of reasons. One owners couldn't get an allocation for a GT3 or RS without paying a premium 50k to 100k, and because some people want the new toy. Maybe my circle of friends are slow because more than ten have no desire to sale, and one is a racecar driver ownening more than 20 Porsche's. He owns or owned every Porsche GT car, and received a R yesterday which is not a track car for him but a good mountain driver through the twisties.

I have some seat time in a 997 RS, and it feels like a dinosaur to the 991 but a great car indeed!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 02:24 PM   #25
Lennon997
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
I agree with your premise some what in 2 to 3 years, but th 997 did go up for a couple of reasons. One owners couldn't get an allocation for a GT3 or RS without paying a premium 50k to 100k, and because some people want the new toy. Maybe my circle of friends are slow because more than ten have no desire to sale, and one is a racecar driver ownening more than 20 Porsche's. He owns or owned every Porsche GT car, and received a R yesterday which is not a track car for him but a good mountain driver through the twisties.

I have some seat time in a 997 RS, and it feels like a dinosaur to the 991 but a great car indeed!

Going from a manual to PDK or PDKS is like watching black and white tv versus 4k. I agree in most part, if using purely for race track or DE I don't see a reason why you would want a manual anymore, but just the FEELING you get from rowing gears is just different.

The prices on the 997s also went up because porsche said they are not making a manual, before this a gt3rs could be had for way less and then right after they jumped (i swear my bro got the timing absolutely perfect)
but my point is, now that they have a manual and consumers have a choice it will naturally put downward pressure on the .1s that only came in auto.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 02:28 PM   #26
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
beautiful.... you may not trade for it but if both were available at time of purchase would you have thought about it?

I get that it could be an 80k bill if you money shift but i mean if you do that you really don't have any business being in a manual anyway

but hey that tech is dead....
Honestly, if I had the choice I would have gotten the PDKS. I had a 991S manual and it was fun, but I actually drove my M5 DCT more. For me it was a easy choice , and no regreats. Money shift happens a lot if you spend time on the track, and I have seen pro drivers do it, and I can't say any of us are not immune to it. Manual cars now with HP north of 500 weren't build to handle that kind of power and torque. Each to his own, but many die hards are eating crow they under estimated the PDKS. Can I ask have you driven one yet, not a PDK but PDKS? Not resisting your opinion, but the whole depreciating argument is old. Their is less than 50 RS left for sale in the US ranging from 40k to 100k over and we are in the middle of winter when many predicted MSRP. They still have no car waiting for MSRP? Last time I checked no one told me the day I would die so I enjoy cars for what they are, and a financial instrument that some try to use them for.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #27
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Going from a manual to PDK or PDKS is like watching black and white tv versus 4k. I agree in most part, if using purely for race track or DE I don't see a reason why you would want a manual anymore, but just the FEELING you get from rowing gears is just different.

The prices on the 997s also went up because porsche said they are not making a manual, before this a gt3rs could be had for way less and then right after they jumped (i swear my bro got the timing absolutely perfect)
but my point is, now that they have a manual and consumers have a choice it will naturally put downward pressure on the .1s that only came in auto.
You know many on this board said the M5 would tank without a manual option. I think the manual, sales dropped more than the DCT. There is no wrong or right answer here, a hedge on future evaluations which we don't know the answer too. Just hold the thought if your have a RS it's less than two thousand owners in the US. Small group for a car not manufactured every year.
Appreciate 0