BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Why are you thinking about replacing your M5/M6? Why is it freaking hard to do?

As for me
Why?
1. Too much maintenance trips for the beast, though knock on wood no ticking rotors for 2 months
2. Missing some options that I should have ordered (Not gonna make much difference now though)
3. RWD + 600 HP makes me feel unsafe in rainy and snowy situations as much more fun as it can be during spirited nice weather day driving.
4. About time to change as it's been a year already and my clock keeps ticking higher (Not the car though to those who know about my ticking problem-
5. I feel like I will get in trouble soon because of having such an over powered car!! Needs a lot of self control !Goose Frappa! 20 times before firing it up!
6. Didn't get the CP - difference wasn't even 100$ -

Why not easy to pull trigger?
1. Don't like AMG 63 looks or transmission and can't do CLS 63 and need a sedan period and RS7 hasn't grown on my like I thought it would and there's no RS6 this side of the pond!!
2. It is so much fun when you wanna have "fun" and no other sedan will do this for me and I know it, as I tried Panamera Turbo and AMG's and even Maserati GTS 2014 and nothing was as balanced all around like the M5 when you are looking for a sedan.
3. My car is a lease and can be hard to get out of, though I would let it go for 1099$ a month which is 2500$ incentive and has 850 miles/month x 24 months remaining with CP Mufflers and Exhaust Meister and Resonators deleted like 2000$ work.
4. I am used to be swept head over heels by any potential new car and can't see this happening anytime soon in any other sedan less than double the price of the M5 and still doubt it even up there barring Exotics -
5. There was no other interior that I liked more or even close.
6. As naughty as the car has been at times but the experience with BMW dealership has always been more than stellar !!

What about you?

Last edited by soooma; 12-07-2014 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 09:55 AM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Don't bother. I have thought about this and concluded that there is nothing better as far as saloons go.

Right now I would wait and consider one of the following when available:
1) Next-gen E63
2) Next-gen CLS63
3) Next-gen M770
4) Next-gen XFR

FWIW I am very happy with way my car is optioned and upgraded and I would do the same again if my car were to be stolen or something.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Don't bother. I have thought about this and concluded that there is nothing better as far as saloons go.

1) Next-gen E63
2) Next-gen CLS63
3) Next-gen M770
4) Next-gen XFR

FWIW I am very happy with way my car is optioned and upgraded and I would do the same again if my car were to be stolen or something.
LOL
I like your "Next-gen" suggestions which proves me right about how hard it it stealth.pilot and I know my bank account would welcome NO Change till end of lease but I can't seems to be able to wrap my head around it that I can live with one car not even downgrading for 3 years !! It can about than more than getting a better car, but the BEAST ain't letting go without collateral damage it seems
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post

1) Next-gen E63
2) Next-gen CLS63
3) Next-gen M770
4) Next-gen XFR

LOL
I like your "Next-gen" suggestions which proves me right about how hard it it stealth.pilot and I know my bank account would welcome NO Change till end of lease but I can't seems to be able to wrap my head around it that I can live with one car not even downgrading for 3 years !! It can about than more than getting a better car, but the BEAST ain't letting go without collateral damage it seems
Just do what I do and have 2 cars just for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
As for me
Why?
1. Too much maintenance trips for the beast, though knock on wood no ticking rotors for 2 months
I hear you, but there is no guarantee for others cars. Today's cars are equipped with lots of electronic technology as well as high performance parts and this means more maintenance trips!

2. Missing some options that I should have ordered (Not gonna make much difference now though)

I believe the current generation of M5/M6 has a lot standard features to offer than those handful options you are missing.

3. RWD + 600 HP makes me feel unsafe in rainy and snowy situations as much more fun as it can be during spirited nice weather day driving.
Be careful with MDM or DSC OFF in rainy or snowy weather. It's not about your M5, it's about any powerful car with this much power and torque unless you go for AWD or lower power.

4. About time to change as it's been a year already and my clock keeps ticking higher (Not the car though to those who know about my ticking problem-
Change this rule and stop the clock

5. I feel like I will get in trouble soon because of having such an over powered car!! Needs a lot of self control !Goose Frappa! 20 times before firing it up!

Keep turning on DSC and don't push the gas hard at curves... you will be safe

6. Didn't get the CP - difference wasn't even 100$ -

You can spend 3-4K and make your car close to CP

Why not easy to pull trigger?
1. Don't like AMG 63 looks or transmission and can't do CLS 63 and need a sedan period and RS7 hasn't grown on my like I thought it would and there's no RS6 this side of the pond!!
Agreed!

2. It is so much fun when you wanna have "fun" and no other sedan will do this for me and I know it, as I tried Panamera Turbo and AMG's and even Maserati GTS 2014 and nothing was as balanced all around like the M5 when you are looking for a sedan.
As much as I love the AMG, I hate the interior of Benz. It gives me the feeling of over 60-70 years old man. Hopefully AMG GT-S is not like this.

3. My car is a lease and can be hard to get out of, though I would let it go for 1099$ a month which is 2500$ incentive and has 850 miles/month x 24 months remaining with CP Mufflers and Exhaust Meister and Resonators deleted like 2000$ work.
So keep it for another 24 months

4. I am used to be swept head over heels by any potential new car and can't see this happening anytime soon in any other sedan less than double the price of the M5 and still doubt it even up there barring Exotics -

5. There was no other interior that I liked more or even close.
That's what I figured out even with Maserati ...

6. As naughty as the car has been at times but the experience with BMW dealership has always been more than stellar !!
My experience was not that bad, but I guess I know what you are talking about...

What about you?
I believe the current M5/M6 are the best cars in market for the money you spend... lots of power/torque and ultimate driving experience. I don't see any car in their class close to these two as the whole package.
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #6
Seanmag
M-enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
I believe the current M5/M6 are the best cars in market for the money you spend... lots of power/torque and ultimate driving experience. I don't see any car in their class close to these two as the whole package.
+1

For me, these are subjective values for comparison. With that said, my other option was a Pano GTS where lease payments would have upwards of ~2x

M5 FTW!
      12-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #7
gmfive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 AW

Garage List
2014 M5  [0.00]
Likewise, for what our M5 can pull off, no peers at the moment. I do get tempted by the M6 Gran Coupe time and again when I see one on the road. That is one helluva sweet looking beast - overall lower height and sleeker and that ass, oh my! Hope I don't swap my M5 for it!
      12-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Enjoy your car.

As Stealth suggested, I would check out the next generation CLS63, when it arrives. As Vic has shared, the RS7 can be beastly. Personally, I'm not crazy about its appearance, though Vic's mods have definitely improved it over stock.

Another car to consider, not mentioned, is the M6GC. It's grown on me over time. A little long-appearing, and perhaps feminine compared to the M5, but still an excellent vehicle.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #9
bimmer-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330 e46 Vert, Bmw ind F10

Sooma, points: 3 & 5 of the "why" section, are two reasons to keep the car! Lol

Rwd 600hp
And getting you in trouble

All plus points

Malcolm X
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #10
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer-boy View Post
Sooma, points: 3 & 5 of the "why" section, are two reasons to keep the car! Lol

Rwd 600hp
And getting you in trouble

Hilarious
All plus points
But can be true for some
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #11
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Your reply managed to calm my urge down and I may be able to live may be 6 more months with the beast -

Thank you sir for such a nice detailed well thought out reply -
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #12
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
Enjoy your car.

As Stealth suggested, I would check out the next generation CLS63, when it arrives. As Vic has shared, the RS7 can be beastly. Personally, I'm not crazy about its appearance, though Vic's mods have definitely improved it over stock.

Another car to consider, not mentioned, is the M6GC. It's grown on me over time. A little long-appearing, and perhaps feminine compared to the M5, but still an excellent vehicle.
I am enjoying it no doubt
And to be honest the only car that may be a potential replacement seems to be convertible M6 - but I need a sedan, but what's encouraging me is my kids and wife hate to ride with me because I drive it on mostly sport mode all the time and they feel like being in a blender when riding with me -

So rarely they ride with me
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #13
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
I am enjoying it no doubt
And to be honest the only car that may be a potential replacement seems to be convertible M6 - but I need a sedan, but what's encouraging me is my kids and wife hate to ride with me because I drive it on mostly sport mode all the time and they feel like being in a blender when riding with me -

So rarely they ride with me
So if this is the case, forget about M6 since it's stiffer and less comfy than M5 and has no enough room in back seats...
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #14
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Sooma, it IS very hard to do. Trust me, I know.

I've thought about letting my Mika go many times. In fact, I think there are only a handful of owners from the original 24 Euro Delivery September 2012 who still own their original 2013 M5's, and then probably less of a percentage who drove their 2013 M5's off the showroom floors back in August 2012. No car can do exactly what the BMW M5 can do as well as it does it, although some cars come very close. Vic's RS7 is one. The F80 M3 comes in probably 3rd place.

I've run the numbers multiple times, and each time I conclude that it wouldn't be worth it to get rid of my M5 for another car that is currently in production or a used car.

The two biggest issues I have with my 2013 M5 is that it has no adjustable side bolsters and when I look at the car and wash it, it's just such a big car.

My suggestion to you, is if you are really getting the itch, is to consider maybe a new 2015 M5 with all the options you want, or maybe even find a 30 Year Edition M5 and then sell it at a decent price when the next M5 comes out.

I also, kind of agree with Stealth on his advice for waiting for the next generation of cars. If the current 2015 S63 AMG Coupe is any indication, the next generation CLS63 AMG-S might be very promising. And I'll also throw in the soon to be released next generation Cadillac CTS-V, if you want performance. I have a feeling that car is going to be significantly lighter than the F10 M5, but it'll suck at almost everything else.

On second thought, if you can swing it. Just get a 991 GT3 and never look back.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #15
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Sooma, it IS very hard to do. Trust me, I know.

I've thought about letting my Mika go many times. In fact, I think there are only a handful of owners from the original 24 Euro Delivery September 2012 who still own their original 2013 M5's, and then probably less of a percentage who drove their 2013 M5's off the showroom floors back in August 2012. No car can do exactly what the BMW M5 can do as well as it does it, although some cars come very close. Vic's RS7 is one. The F80 M3 comes in probably 3rd place.

I've run the numbers multiple times, and each time I conclude that it wouldn't be worth it to get rid of my M5 for another car that is currently in production or a used car.

The two biggest issues I have with my 2013 M5 is that it has no adjustable side bolsters and when I look at the car and wash it, it's just such a big car.

My suggestion to you, is if you are really getting the itch, is to consider maybe a new 2015 M5 with all the options you want, or maybe even find a 30 Year Edition M5 and then sell it at a decent price when the next M5 comes out.

I also, kind of agree with Stealth on his advice for waiting for the next generation of cars. If the current 2015 S63 AMG Coupe is any indication, the next generation CLS63 AMG-S might be very promising. And I'll also throw in the soon to be released next generation Cadillac CTS-V, if you want performance. I have a feeling that car is going to be significantly lighter than the F10 M5, but it'll suck at almost everything else.

On second thought, if you can swing it. Just get a 991 GT3 and never look back.

Porsche isn't far from the horizon and I may be waiting for the right deal,
But then I will miss the sedan amenities and how I can haul pretty much anything I want in this M5 that does it all for me -
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 08:44 PM   #16
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Ah man. Get yourself a Volkswagen station wagon and call it a day!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #17
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

I thought about it and I was close to selling mine, but every time I drive it everything changes. I have driven many other cars in the same category and honestly no other car is as wild and fun as the m5.
The reason I wanted to sell it is because I wanted to build a crazy 1800hp TT lambo or a GTR. This is my 3rd m5 after e39 and e60 and I dont expect to leave BMW for another brand, but life is full of surprises and we never know what comes at us.
      12-07-2014, 09:58 PM   #18
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Soooma, it's indeed hard to replace the M5 with something equivalent that is worth the while. Like Stealth said, best is to have a second fun car. I must admit that i was guilty of loosing my love for the M5 after the Speciale. I am glad that I have gotten over the initial euphoria and appreciating the M5 all over again. I even commit some stupid usage issue on my own part by driving the M5 in auto mode and lamenting its laggy response esp when moving off. All that was idiocy on my part. I am now driving the car the way it's meant to be driven and I am enjoying it a lot more and can't see any point in replacing it with anything else that ferries 5 in comfort and yet drives like a fat sports car
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 07:51 AM   #19
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
How did I not think about that -?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 07:52 AM   #20
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
Soooma, it's indeed hard to replace the M5 with something equivalent that is worth the while. Like Stealth said, best is to have a second fun car. I must admit that i was guilty of loosing my love for the M5 after the Speciale. I am glad that I have gotten over the initial euphoria and appreciating the M5 all over again. I even commit some stupid usage issue on my own part by driving the M5 in auto mode and lamenting its laggy response esp when moving off. All that was idiocy on my part. I am now driving the car the way it's meant to be driven and I am enjoying it a lot more and can't see any point in replacing it with anything else that ferries 5 in comfort and yet drives like a fat sports car
Nice feedback
I agree for now -
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 07:53 AM   #21
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #22
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
How did I not think about that -?
Or get a 2016 Mazda 6 and go zoom zoom. Great looking car, nicely appointed cabin, 4 pot doesn't have enough power to get you into trouble EVER, and has plenty of tech. All for 1/4the price.

In all seriousness, thinking of getting one for my parents to replace their old 5 series (they are not fans of BMW tech, expensive maintenance, and cramped back seats). The 6 drives pretty well and 2016 fixes all the " tech wrongs" of the 14 and 15.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0