M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

03-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #23
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjackson1906 View Post
If you go by just stats, you could make the argument that the S6 is a M5 competitor. However, there's much more to driving and owning a car than just stats. For example, the steering feel in the S6 is loose IMO compared to the M5. The interior in the S6 is nice if you want to feel like you are in upgraded VW CC or Passat. The free maintenance pkg (4yrs/50k miles) BMW includes in the price of the car is well worth it. Even though Audi has improved it's reliability, it still will cost the buyer a nice bit of change every time there is an issue. The list of non-stat related variables are numerous (AWD vs RWD; lag time; handling; ride feel; price; etc.) and probably outweigh raw stat numbers for most consumers. An S6 feels cheap to me and doesn't look anywhere near as professional, sexy and downright nasty as my M5. But hey, that's just my $0.02, but please don't use stats alone as a measure of whether two cars are in the same class...
THIRDED! If that's a word. :P

I've sat in an S6 and an S7 before and the steering wheel feels fake, the interior materials are not near the quality of luxury as the M5's, and the amount of extra stuff you get with an S isn't comparable to that of the M5. S's and RS's are much more understated than BMW ///M's in my opinion, which can be a good thing if that is what you are looking for, but it's just not for me. The F10 Chassis is understated enough as it is with its soft body lines and such, I couldn't handle driving an S around that looks just like a base model A6 to the untrained eye. Not that I like the chome that is all over the M5 or anything but at least it looks different enough to the untrained eye.

Also consider if the S6 did not have all wheel drive. How would the performance on paper look then? Probably a lot worse. Additionally from what I've seen Audi hasn't made drastic improvements in other areas that have plagued previous S6 and RS6 models. One being placement of the engine so high and so forward in the chassis. Even the newest RS5 still suffers from bad understeer due to these things. Have you ever driven the previous generation Audi RS6? It handled like shiite compared to the E60 M5. I'll never believe that an S6 can outhandle a rear wheel drive F10 M5. One more thing, you could probably throw a simple Dinan Stage 2 Tune on a F10 550xi and it will be faster than an S6. We haven't even seen the performance numbers of the new upcoming 2014 LCI F10 550xi which will come with 45hp more horsepower stock. Come on Peter Pan, Count Chocula! We've seen a million Audi S cars and we've rocked them all! (Bonus points for those who can guess the movie!)

Last edited by RPiM5; 03-13-2013 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #24
bimmer-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330 e46 Vert, Bmw ind F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I don't see why the S6 is not a competitor to the M5.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...s6-test-review

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 3.7 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.2 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 16.1 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 4.9 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 2.1 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 2.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.1 sec @ 115 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 155 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 157 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.87 g

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

If stats were black and white buying a car would be easy.
Stats tell you 2% about the car
98% is through your own experiences with that car.
And that's where bmw always pull it off!

All audi's feel The same or at least similar. I owned a 3.2 07 Quattro tt, I sat in a r8 a yr later, and despite The beauty of that car outside, inside just sitting in the cabin was a anti climax, very similar closed feel and interior.and a Audi s5 was the same . I'm sure The car engine wise is different but I want something that tries to deliver on every level
BUT
I owned a 330 e46 cab, loved the interior and feel of The car, had a cousin who had a e30 I used to drive, great drive! Even my missus 1 series, albeit the drive isn't astonishing, the interior the feel. It all makes driving a pleasure.
I've only sat in a m5 f10 so far, and I was pretty impressed by the way the car despite being so big, is molded around the driver.
That's where bmw are miles Apart IMO.

Driving experience
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #25
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: People crazy

This kind of sums it up: lol
      03-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #26
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
OMG EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #27
kiwistu
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: Black F82 M3

After a lot of hard work and 9 years, my business partners and I refreshed our fleet late last year....ended up with an M5, an S6 Wagon and a Panamera D. They are all great, in fact I'd be perfectly happy in any of them, driven all of them of course.

Luckily the M5 is mine :-)
      03-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #28
///Michael
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13/F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwistu View Post
After a lot of hard work and 9 years, my business partners and I refreshed our fleet late last year....ended up with an M5, an S6 Wagon and a Panamera D. They are all great, in fact I'd be perfectly happy in any of them, driven all of them of course.

Luckily the M5 is mine :-)
That's kinda all I was saying. To say they are not comparable cars seems a bit self-congratulatory to me. They are roughly the same price (with options and maintenance), same performance, same size, etc. They're both very nice cars. To me they are comparable. I compared them, and I chose the M5. :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #29
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post

I've sat in an S6 and an S7 before and the steering wheel feels fake, the interior materials are not near the quality of luxury as the M5's, and the amount of extra stuff you get with an S isn't comparable to that of the M5. S's and RS's are much more understated than BMW ///M's in my opinion, which can be a good thing if that is what you are looking for, but it's just not for me. The F10 Chassis is understated enough as it is with its soft body lines and such, I couldn't handle driving an S around that looks just like a base model A6 to the untrained eye. Not that I like the chome that is all over the M5 or anything but at least it looks different enough to the untrained eye.

Also consider if the S6 did not have all wheel drive. How would the performance on paper look then? Probably a lot worse. Additionally from what I've seen Audi hasn't made drastic improvements in other areas that have plagued previous S6 and RS6 models. One being placement of the engine so high and so forward in the chassis. Even the newest RS5 still suffers from bad understeer due to these things. Have you ever driven the previous generation Audi RS6? It handled like shiite compared to the E60 M5. I'll never believe that an S6 can outhandle a rear wheel drive F10 M5. One more thing, you could probably throw a simple Dinan Stage 2 Tune on a F10 550xi and it will be faster than an S6. We haven't even seen the performance numbers of the new upcoming 2014 LCI F10 550xi which will come with 45hp more horsepower stock. Come on Peter Pan, Count Chocula! We've seen a million Audi S cars and we've rocked them all! (Bonus points for those who can guess the movie!)
Dave, I have just one question for you ... Are the built for comfort or are the built for speed?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #30
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS
Quote:

Dave, I have just one question for you ... Are the built for comfort or are the built for speed?
Both! Haha!

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #31
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
I lol'd too hard at that
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 03:40 AM   #32
Ahmed
Private First Class
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG

Garage List
1999 BMW M5  [1.00]
I'm considering an RS5, but finding it very difficult to accept it!

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #33
AGS
Major
Rep

Quote:
Both! Haha!
You motorboatin' son of a bitch! You old sailor you!
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #34
AGS
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
I'm not crazy about the RS5. I think the A5 / S5 is a beautiful car, but when I first saw the RS5 something was off. I finally figured out it's the trunk line - Audi raised the level of the trunk to accomodate the active spoiler and in my opinion it throws off the lines of the car.
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #35
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
Just bend over a bit further you will accept it then OK
You will need to rev the balls off it to get anywhere.
      03-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #36
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
You motorboatin' son of a bitch! You old sailor you!
It feels so good when he jokes!

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #37
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #38
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
I'm not crazy about the RS5. I think the A5 / S5 is a beautiful car, but when I first saw the RS5 something was off. I finally figured out it's the trunk line - Audi raised the level of the trunk to accomodate the active spoiler and in my opinion it throws off the lines of the car.
I actually think the car looks great but Audi screwed up by not placing the TT V8 in the car. One reason I didn't get the one I had on order and purchased the M5 instead.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #39
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

I'm in the Chicago area and drive an M5 daily. I drove in all the worst days this winter so far.. The M5 handled it no problem. Would I like to have an AWD M5? He'll yes! But would I settle for an Audi, no. I can say that without a doubt the M5 with proper winter wheels/tires will get you to the office and back as well as the Audi would. Like others have said, there is more to a car than stats but once you've driven an M5, the really is no comparison the the S6.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #40
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

The S6 is a good car but I don't think it is in the same league as the M5. If you only want a single personality car, i.e. luxurious maybe home to office bound car then the S6 would be it especially if you are in your senior years (65+ years old) but if you want a car with a "Jekyll and Hyde" character, then the M5 is the one. That was the reasoning I had when I chose to get the M5 and I have tried many models from other car manufacturers. It's just a matter of preference.
      03-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #41
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan View Post
The S6 is a good car but I don't think it is in the same league as the M5. If you only want a single personality car, i.e. luxurious maybe home to office bound car then the S6 would be it especially if you are in your senior years (65+ years old) but if you want a car with a "Jekyll and Hyde" character, then the M5 is the one. That was the reasoning I had when I chose to get the M5 and I have tried many models from other car manufacturers. It's just a matter of preference.
Well I am 64 and NOT quite "an Old tosser" yet, I intend to order the M5 for July/August time.
I had the S8 V10 and found it "the thirstiest car" I ever owned and handled like a Barge with over steer.
Age should not come into it IMO. Most old money men buy Mercedes cars here and they are crap.
      03-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #42
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Well I am 64 and NOT quite "an Old tosser" yet, I intend to order the M5 for July/August time.
I had the S8 V10 and found it "the thirstiest car" I ever owned and handled like a Barge with over steer.
Age should not come into it IMO. Most old money men buy Mercedes cars here and they are crap.
Sorry, I did not mean that Seniors should only go for the S6 -- I just want to explain that usually, Seniors (aged 65+) want cars that are comfortably reliable and do not have plans on driving a car the way that Jeff Gordon did with a car salesman and can be seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=Q5mHPo2yDG8#! Watch this as it is so funny.

The M5 can definitely do these things (with MDM and DSC off). Personally, I have done those "pirouettes" on a slick pavement (not with my own car) during the 2-day M Performance school -- it is a lot of fun!
      03-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #43
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan View Post
Sorry, I did not mean that Seniors should only go for the S6 -- I just want to explain that usually, Seniors (aged 65+) want cars that are comfortably reliable and do not have plans on driving a car the way that Jeff Gordon did with a car salesman and can be seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=Q5mHPo2yDG8#! Watch this as it is so funny.

The M5 can definitely do these things (with MDM and DSC off). Personally, I have done those "pirouettes" on a slick pavement (not with my own car) during the 2-day M Performance school -- it is a lot of fun!
I was only messing , I was not offended in any way
      03-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #44
Fixinbones
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ‘22 911 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
My wife just got rid of her S8 V10 for a CLS 63. That Audi was the biggest piece of crap. I honestly couldn't find much in that car that I liked aside from the Quattro for getting to work in a snow storm.
Appreciate 0