08-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #45
135Eye
Accountants have fun 2!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Silber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower View Post
This may be a rumor, but it seems that they are planning on offering 2 variants of the M5, a V8TT and a V10TT. Not sure what the power they will put out, but both should be more powerful than the current E60.
Hmm, that is certainly interesting but I don't think in the end it would happen only because the M5 is not a volume car and I don't think BMW could afford too produce two exotic engines like that at such low volumes (basicly cut the volume of a single m5 engine in half), I think it would be too costly for too little volume for them to realisticly do something like that.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #46
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

As I said before, the 4.4l V8 TT should go in to the M5 and the 5.5l V10 TT should go in to the M7.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #47
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Eye View Post
Hmm, that is certainly interesting but I don't think in the end it would happen only because the M5 is not a volume car and I don't think BMW could afford too produce two exotic engines like that at such low volumes (basicly cut the volume of a single m5 engine in half), I think it would be too costly for too little volume for them to realisticly do something like that.
That was true in the past, but now the V8TT is shared in the X5M, X6M, and will be shared in the upcoming M5, M6, no longer making it a low volume engine. Granted they will not be common as the lesser BMW's but in no way are they as rarified as before. Also, the V10TT will be the halo car, and hopefully this is only available on the M5. This will keep the legacy of the M5 solid and will negate the allegations of dilution of the M brand
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #48
Corinthian
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5 Sepang Bronze

Did anyone notice the nav hump on the "new" cars, according to some other leaked photos the new 5er will spare the double hump. What gives ?

I think the new X M's were a mistake for BMW, they dilute the M image for BMW without offering much, the new FFRR with the 500hp is more expensive and will outsell the XM's 1000:1

Maybe they are testing the new 550 alongside the new M, another possibility seems to me.

M5 is the iconic car for BMW and I think they will make sure that it's superiority will be preserved, notice how the outgoing E60 still outguns anything else in the regular range and even the E39 after so many years still bests most of the range. I think this will continue.

Cheers
      08-17-2009, 11:08 PM   #49
Ryan(e92)
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG M6 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsfoto View Post
No offense to e92 M3 owners, but if the new M5 is as unspectacular as the current M3 is...I for one will be extremely disappointed. The new M5 will most likely be heavier than the e60, and if they don't give it a significant HP bump it's going to be plagued by the same lackluster performance compared to the non-M TT cars that BMW is offering.

Getting the torque required to move a heavy sedan while still undercutting the EPA regulations is going to get harder and harder with naturally aspirated engines. These cars are going to continue to be packed full of more and more technology and weight. I am a huge fan of the V10 E60 M5, but things have to change...and if going boosted is the answer to a faster car with better gas mileage and less weight, then so be it.

I will be surprised if the new M5 is going to be an N/A V10. In order to make it faster than the E60 it is going to need quite a bit more power, which means larger displacement and more gas needed for a reliable road car. I can see a V10TT, or even a V8TT. Only time will tell!

Funny I thought my modded 335 was "unspectacular". And with mods I spent more on my 335 than my M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 12:07 AM   #50
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

Quote:
I think the new X M's were a mistake for BMW, they dilute the M image for BMW without offering much, the new FFRR with the 500hp is more expensive and will outsell the XM's 1000:1
Totally agree with you. IMO, M should be about weight and handling limits with 3400lbs being the "cut". If BMW wants to have a performance line of FI vehicles they should just negotiate to use the Alpina nameplate. Alpina kinda conjures images of a forced induction vehicle anyways, no?

With that said, I still like the idea of a supercharged S65 in the new F10. Gosh I hope it weighs less than the pig that was the e60 M5. Gladly would have traded 100 hp to lose 500lbs on that car.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 08:40 AM   #51
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
That was then, people bought cars because they were good, not because they were special (bragging rights). BTW the S54 in the E46 M3, especially in the CSL configuration in my opinion is far more special than any V8 BMW engine. V8's are so overused.

BTW #2, the M54 and S54 were completely different beasts, just like the M62/S62, the displacements were different, the redline was higher, etc. Even the materials used were different, S54 was made from iron, while the M54 was aluminum. The X5/6 M engines have the same displacement and if I'm not mistaken the same redline as the regular V8TT's in the 750i and X6 5.0i, nothing special there.
Have you ever driven any of these "nothing special" vehicle? I doubt it because both engines you are commenting on are leaps and bound better than their past generations. The V8 in the ///M3 just wins engine of the year honors and is probably the best high rev on the planet that is not build by Ferrari.

Back on topic- I would not be surprised that new ///M5 sees a variation of the KERS system in some form, the main reason BMW went with an electrical system in F1 was so that the development could translate to a street vehicle. It would be part of the Efficient Dynamics branding, providing an afterburner effect of a boost button on the steering wheel. Much like the Power button drops/activates two cylinders currently this button would activate the electronic drive system for a quick burst of power for overtaking etc.

Some sources point to the exit from F1 as sign this system will not be fully developed for street use, but there is testing on-going in mules. Really what is going to make the final decision on these vehicle configurations is the Marketing department and focus groups... what best makes a BMW a BMW to the masses. The ///M5 is a low number car in the grand scheme and has a higher sticker price and appeals to a niche group of customers as well as serving as a "halo" of what a super sedan is.

The next year will be interesting on many levels; the F10 being just one of them. The X3 should begin to lose its camo very shortly and then the F10....
      08-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #52
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsfoto View Post
No offense to e92 M3 owners, but if the new M5 is as unspectacular as the current M3 is...I for one will be extremely disappointed. The new M5 will most likely be heavier than the e60, and if they don't give it a significant HP bump it's going to be plagued by the same lackluster performance compared to the non-M TT cars that BMW is offering.

Getting the torque required to move a heavy sedan while still undercutting the EPA regulations is going to get harder and harder with naturally aspirated engines. These cars are going to continue to be packed full of more and more technology and weight. I am a huge fan of the V10 E60 M5, but things have to change...and if going boosted is the answer to a faster car with better gas mileage and less weight, then so be it.

I will be surprised if the new M5 is going to be an N/A V10. In order to make it faster than the E60 it is going to need quite a bit more power, which means larger displacement and more gas needed for a reliable road car. I can see a V10TT, or even a V8TT. Only time will tell!
I don't know where to start but I'll bite. You hate the M3 we get it but as others have pointed out BMW will be building lighter cars going forward so they can easily use smaller displacement engines to achieve the desired effect.

On a side note, isn't it funny that it's always the 135/335 owners that find the M3 "lackluster"? Yet they yearn for M3 mods that make their cars look like the M3. I'd bet my paycheck that every one of the x35 owners would ditch their cars in a second for a M3. You guys are lame.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 07:33 AM   #53
MachineDriver
Family Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3

Having owned a Ferrari V8, I can say that the S65 is the closest thing to a high revving italian engine you can get outside of Maranello. That said I recently purchased an R8 and am completely floored by that engine (more low end torque yet still a high revver and a very nice sound). The R8 has made me appreciate what a fantastic car the M3 is. It handles better that any other BMW and is super low profile compared to the class of exotics in which it's performance places it. It is less a super sedan and more of a super car pretender (with 4 seat). Somewhat off topic M3 apology but please don't hate on your brand's greatest car yet.