01-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
BMW M School - 2 Day Performance School - Review by an F10 M5 Driver

I had the opportunity to attend the 2 Day M School last week. I will share my thoughts but don't have much video since the M5s and M6s were not equipped with video cameras, and I didn't bring a go-pro.

The M School is a first class program - truly top notch in every way - the instructors, the cars, the facility, the meals. Everything. The instructors - Andy, Donny, Jim, Tommy to name a few were all superb.

Summary
There is a famous Pirelli slogan which says "Power is nothing without control". Control is what the M School teaches you. Control at the limits, control in the wet, control under acceleration and braking, control of the racing line. We learned to control M Cars at the limits, and it is astonishing what these cars can do - every one of them M3, M5 and M6 - are capable of superb speeds and mind blowing cornering speeds with the right control. They say a car is nothing without its driver. The school put me on the path to be the driver worthy of an M Car, and I'm not there yet.

This is a must attend program in my opinion and I would highly encourage people to do the 2 day M School and not the 1 Day - in the first day you learn a lot. But the extensive track time on the second day, and the more complex track layout helps you really pull it all together. On the first day I kept thinking about every maneuver, on the second day it started to become second nature. That's why 2 days are important.

I will cover three things in this write-up: Skills learned, perspectives on the cars, and what I thought of the program.

What I Learned
1) A strong understanding of the mechanics of driving. Anyone who has done PCD understands the mechanics of traction, however at the M School you learn to apply that in a variety of settings - different types of corners, chicanes, etc.
2) Instinctive rapid car control. Most M owners know how to deal with oversteer or understeer, and how to correct. But on a track at the limits, you need to correct very quickly otherwise you're in the barrier. My car control skills went to a much higher level during this school. I could drive the car on the edge, and rapidly correct oversteer and understeer. It enabled me to establish a much more dynamic driving style. Nowhere near the level of the M Taxi drivers, but up there. Rapid arm movement just becomes second nature, you correct powerslides without knowing that you're doing it.
3) Braking and accelerating - managing traction with MDM and DSC Off. On the first day in the morning, one of the first things I did was spin an M6 by going full throttle with MDM on while accelerating out of a corner. I also clipped a barrier in an M5 (it had to be repaired) because of aggressive exit throttle. I'm glad this happened at the M School and not in my own car! I learned a lot about how to manage throttle through corners and accelerating out of corners in MDM mode, and I really believe it saved me an accident at some point in the future.
4) Choosing the right line. We learnt a lot about the right line. It is not always obvious.
5) Problem solving the lap times. This is what I enjoyed most. Seeing the laptimes of my peers, figuring out where they were faster and I was slower. Leveraging the knowledge the school provided to problem solve the gap, putting it into practice and then lowering my times. I really enjoyed this process and my lap times tumbled.
6) Drifting. The wet skidpad session with Donnie was awesome, and for a short moment I was able to establish a drift. However not for long. Needs more time to practice.
7) Wet weather driving. We did a race on a wet figure 8 with DSC fully off. Its so easy to spin the M5 in this setting, so it gives you a sense of how well we learned to control the car at the limits. I was able to set the second fastest time in my group without a single spin, although with some need for oversteer corrections here and there.
8) Eyes up and look where you want to go. I think I could have avoided clipping the barrier during the M5 time trial if I had not started to look at the barrier. The instructors really drilled this home, and with that exception, it really helped me to drive better lap times and precision.

Here is a video of me doing a reverse turn using skills Donnie taught me.

Impressions on the cars
1) All three of these are ultimate M Cars. The M3 is lighter, but I was amazed that the M5 and M6 were up there in terms of cornering speed and actually in many ways much more forgiving on the track. I found the M6 and M5 easier to control on a wet skidpad than the M3 - which really surprised me - and I think gives you a sense of how well balanced these cars are and also how good the Michelin PSS are. At their full potential the M5 and M6 are among the best M cars ever made.
2) M5 and M6 require much more patience with the throttle as indicated above, and will leave a less experienced driver spinning out.
3) The M6 was a great drive and much more balanced than the E62 M6 - you notice the lower center of gravity when cornering. It just seems very easy to drive. However the M6 is noticeable less comfortable than the M5. The M6 seats are pretty poor being narrower and firmer - you don't get the cradled feeling of the M5 seats. However the M6 cabin is gorgeous.
4) M5 most impressive of the three. I was the only M5 owner in the class, but the other guys seemed to be most impressed by the M5 because it seems to match the M3 and M6 in performance while delivering substantially more comfort. It was the car that you felt like you could go longest in on the track.
5) Settings. On the M5 we mostly ran Sport Plus, Sport, Sport with MDM mode. In the wet we set shocks to comfort which gave more stability. The instructors seemed to only put steering in Comfort mode because they felt that offered the best feedback. However I found feedback to be optimal in Sport Plus, however found Sport easier for rapid movement. I think Sport Plus steering is best suited when driving a Corniche or a Hill Climb, but Sport is best for track. I asked what PSI they were running on the tires but they didn't know.
6) M3 is the best sounding car. I am finally coming round to the fact that the Turbos may be too quiet in terms of engine sound. The M3 sounds superb under WOT.

Thoughts on the program
1) Awesome track. Its a fantastic track. Awesome 70mph high speed corner, couple of really nice chicanes, a corkscrew, great elevation changes. It is quite technical, but also fast. Just exhilarating.
2) There is a lot of classroom education but its good. We probably spent about 90 minutes in the classroom on the first day, and 60 on the second. This is good because it seems to enhanced your understanding of what you should be doing.
3) The instructors give instruction over the radio. It would have been nice if they spent more time with you in the car - maybe they do this at the Advanced school. However you do feel you get feedback lap after lap, and you do see your lap times getting progressively better, so the coaching model is working well.
4) The insurance is comprehensive. When I clipped the barrier in the M5, they asked me if I was okay. They asked a few questions on what happened. Then they put me in another car. There was no paperwork, no hassle, and no deductible. I felt bad for the faculty because I'm sure the instructors had to do the paperwork.
5) It is very safe - at no point was I worried about my safety. There is a lot of space on the track for mistakes, and the one area where a barrier exists, it is necessary. They also watch you closely and guide you over radio if you are about to make a mistake. They also space the cars very carefully so there is no danger of collision.
6) Lots of gifts - a helmet, a fleece, a t-shirt, a polo and a cap. All with the BMW M Performance School badging.
7) Superb instructors. Really good guys. Enjoyed having lunch and dinner with them. They are very thoughtful, good coaches and good people. Andy also did my PCD on my previous car, the 550i, and he remembered me.
8) Value for money. The program was a bargain. After 15% BMWCCA discount, it's $3050. For that you get a 2 days of school, 2 days of hotel and all meals, no damage liability, using up the tires on 3 cars, and a race helmet worth $600 and other goodies worth around $100.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 01-08-2013 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
chong0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 5.0

great review.

One kid spun out on the high speed corner and almost hit the side wall but didn't. Impressive you hit something but good to know you are not responsible for it!

It is highly worthwhile bringing your own GoPro to this- do not listen to the people that booked your school because the teachers don't care about your own camera. The USB stick is nice but not easy at all to get the racekeeper software to work correctly.

I loved it and seriously considering the ViR course but it is very pricey (but at least now there is a goal to beat the C&D time)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
chudak18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335, W463 G55

Garage List
Bravo! Superb write up!
      01-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
jump
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 - Alpine White

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Great write up! I can't wait to attend the school.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
Un Gato Malodoro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Azurite Black F10 M5

Great review. Question: were you able to apply the one-day M school compensation voucher for the oil pump recall (if applicable) towards the two-day school? I know there's a string on this topic but don't recall a final resolution.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Hoping to start a new thread where we can get a group of us from the board to go.
April 4th arrival for 5th/6th is wide open. I think I am going for that date. Any others interested. This sounds amazing.
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Nice! Thanks for the write-up.

@BarryB, I'm definitely in for this.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Un Gato Malodoro View Post
Great review. Question: were you able to apply the one-day M school compensation voucher for the oil pump recall (if applicable) towards the two-day school? I know there's a string on this topic but don't recall a final resolution.
I actually had already booked the 2 day school when they offered me the voucher so they agreed to cancel the voucher and send me a check for $1450. However when I spoke with them on the phone they seemed to imply they would have credited the voucher if I had one.

Also and THIS IS IMPORTANT:

BMWCCA members get 15% off. So it was $3055 instead of $3595.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 01-07-2013 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Hoping to start a new thread where we can get a group of us from the board to go.
April 4th arrival for 5th/6th is wide open. I think I am going for that date. Any others interested. This sounds amazing.
They are willing to do special events. If you can round up a group of say 8 or more (that was the size of our class), they may be able to do a class with only M5s, and a date of your choosing.

Also there are some BMWCCA only dates available too in addition to the ones on the website.

http://www.bmwcca.org/node/5085

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 01-07-2013 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
runningthingz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Frozen White M5

I'm in for this.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I had the opportunity to attend the 2 Day M School last week.
Great write up. Thanks for taking the time to do it. It just might inspire me to open my wallet a little more than I had planned on doing and get some track time in an M other than mine. Their policy on your damage to the car is more than most schools will deliver.

I just called the Performance Center and the advanced school at VIR is scheduled for two two day sessions, 4-29/30 and 5-1/2. They take 15 students per class, and at this time have only two students in the first class and none for the second. They require at least one day in their M school as a prerequisite to the advanced school, or proof of having taken a comparable driving school such as Barber, etc. The BMW CCA discount also applies.

Last edited by Used2be; 01-07-2013 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: added school info
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Quote:
Count me in tentatively
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
Hothonda
***EX-NSX***
Rep
Drives: 2015 991 TT

I can tell you put a lot of thought into your review.

Sharing stuff like this helps everyone...

Thanks!

991 TT, 200 Land Cruiser
2 prior BMW 3 & 5 series & 2013 Limerock M3
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #14
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

Great write up.

Quote:
I felt bad for the faculty because I'm sure the instructors had to do the paperwork.

Don't feel to bad about hitting something...
When I was there they were hosting a repair class for technicians to come to and learn how to repair the body parts. I have to assume that some of the cars being repaired were other victims of the classes.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #15
Rohardi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Q50S Hybrid

Great review Stealth!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #16
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

excellent review! thx 4 sharin

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #17
mdm0515
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 2013

Wonderful. Just confirmed the April 13/14 event and they happily applied my one-day M school certificate as 50% compensation. Can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

Very nice write up!

Did the M5 fleet have the Carbon Ceramic brakes? If so, could you notice a difference?
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #19
mgallen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Azurite Black

Quote:
I'm in for April 5th/6th.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #20
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgallen View Post
I'm in for April 5th/6th.
Cool look for a new thread
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #21
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokke
Very nice write up!

Did the M5 fleet have the Carbon Ceramic brakes? If so, could you notice a difference?
No they had the standard brakes. And they were brand new cars. Just broken in and deployed in the school for the first time. By the end of the 2 days the tires were worn to the cords.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #22
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Stealth,

Thanks for the write up and the info. I didn't know about the CCA discount, been a member for years. I gotta figure out a time for me to cash in my free 1 Day voucher. But, it sounds like I really should do the 2 day school.

Appreciate 0