M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

10-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Dinan & Downpipes

Guys, why do you think or does someone know exactly why Dinan doesn't produce or promote DPs.

Seems common knowledge that Steve Dinan had Noelle DPs in his F10 M5 but since DPs (especially catless or with sport cats) seem to produce significant power gains why would they not want to go that route and include it with their warranty etc

Is it simply being 50 state compliant with emissions etc?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #2
EuroKar
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Good question.
Maybe someone from Dinan will chime in on this.
I hope that they bring out some more engine performance products for the S63T engines.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #3
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMD View Post
Guys, why do you think or does someone know exactly why Dinan doesn't produce or promote DPs.

Seems common knowledge that Steve Dinan had Noelle DPs in his F10 M5 but since DPs (especially catless or with sport cats) seem to produce significant power gains why would they not want to go that route and include it with their warranty etc

Is it simply being 50 state compliant with emissions etc?
This is a quote from them from a few months back when I enquired about Headers.

"While power gains are possible, we would advise against replacing any part of the exhaust system ahead of the catalytic converters on legal grounds, unless the car is strictly used on the race track."

It's a respectable response. I do understand their perspective, but in motorsport... most companies also offer "off-road only" products as well. Maybe we will see them work on these later down the road once the new product lines are out and if they see that the community wants a set of headers. I know i do.

The new headers will most likely throw a CEL, so they would need a proper tune to counter that.

Last edited by Spinny02; 10-02-2014 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

It's essentially, as Spinny pointed out, a legality issue. I'm sure there is a PR/legal approved version of that statement that is more elaborate but that is the jist of it.

We do plan on having a true "racing" section in the near future however it would mostly be comprised of engine rebuilds, turbos, dry-sump kits, etc. I would be extremely surprised if any form of DP was included.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
It's essentially, as Spinny pointed out, a legality issue. I'm sure there is a PR/legal approved version of that statement that is more elaborate but that is the jist of it.

We do plan on having a true "racing" section in the near future however it would mostly be comprised of engine rebuilds, turbos, dry-sump kits, etc. I would be extremely surprised if any form of DP was included.
Thanks so much for taking the time and answering our questions.

Since allot of us either have or will be getting DPs (Noelle, catted & non-catted) especially allot of us in FL where there are no emissions or inspections & also either have or want to get the Dinan piggyback tune is there:

1. Any conflict with the Dinan piggyback or will it adapt along with the car's ECU

2. Any issue or conflict with the Dinan Warranty?

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 06:13 PM   #6
EuroKar
Banned
Rep

I am running Dinan stage 2 with GT Haus catless exhaust system.
Car is performing great. Better then with BMS tune I had prior.
Still check engine light for catalytic convertor obviously.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #7
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroKar View Post
I am running Dinan stage 2 with GT Haus catless exhaust system.
Car is performing great. Better then with BMS tune I had prior.
Still check engine light for catalytic convertor obviously.
Does stage 2 require the intakes?
Other than the CEL seems like you haven't had any issues which is great.

Is the smell bad?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #8
EuroKar
Banned
Rep

Yes stage 2 requires intakes.
Smell doesn't bother at all. Yet again I'm used to it by now lol
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #9
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

1.) Will it work. Absolutely. I think Spinny02 and wrsbmw can attest to that. The one thing I would note is that any CEL related to the DP would still be present as our device does not clear codes. The whole premise of our tuning solution is we do not create codes so there is nothing to clear. If a tertiary device creates a code then our device is not adjusting for it. As I have mentioned in other threads our device is meant to be emissions legal and keep the safety protocols that BMW implemented in place. We will not go out of our way to bypass such features for reasons of safety as well as legality.

2.) Yes/No. The Dinan warranty is still in place and it is not voided. However you do potentially create a loophole in the system if the downpipe or whatever other non-Dinan 3rd party part can be blamed directly for whatever the issue may be. We obviously warranty our parts and how they perform but not other vendors parts. =)
Appreciate 0