Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-13-2015, 01:04 PM   #1
Karthigan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M5

Getting an 2016 F10 M5

Hi everyone,

Continuing my debate from getting a M4 or M5 (as per my previous posting on the M4 thread), I finally decided to acquire a 2016 BMW M5 (F10).

I am so excited!

So, the expected delivery date is: March 2016 (I wanted to avoid the winter season, here in Canada).

Transmission: 6-speed Manual

Options / Packages: None Selected - the premium package and/or the ultimate package wasn't my cup of tea, and wanted to spend the money on "aftermarket" mods in due time.

Exterior Colour: debating between Azurite Black Metallic ($1000.00 CAD option) and going with Singapore Gray (I am leading towards this one, as to why ... you'll see my reasoning below) ... unless someone else can justify the Azurite colour. I have until end of November 2016 to decide on the colour. Bear in mind, I can't select any of the individual colours options as I would need to elect the ultimate option add-on ($25,000.00) option on top of the MSRP.

Interior Colour: Black Extended Merino Leather

Now, here are my consideration for "mods":

Tint: to be completed by http://www.lazertint.ca/ ; HIGH PERFORMANCE CERAMIC FILM ; deciding between Pinnacle 30 or Pinnacle 35 (depending on the exterior colour I need to decide) ... any recommendations?

Rims: two choices ...
Sizing: 21x9.5 at the front ; 21x11 at the back

PUR WHEELS MONOBLOCK FORGED ORIGIN SERIES - 2WO
Finishing: BLACK DIAMOND or MODERN BLACK
Link: http://www.purwheels.com/wheels

OR:

Vorsteiner Flow Forged V-FF 103

Tires: I would be going with Michelin Tires ; I would like to have the rear with wide tires
and front - standard
- any recommendations?

I am thinking about: 265/30/21 and 305/25/21

Aero/Body/Lip Kit: Exactly like this from Vorsteiner - see link: http://www.vorsteiner.com/bmw/m-series/f10-m5/

Tailpipe / Diffuser: I have no clue what to do here ... perhaps I'll wait out until I get some mileage on my new car. I heard from others that the stock pipes / diffuser / muffler - is heavy and with an aftermarket option , straight pipe or what ever it is, it would be good and I'll definitely need to get a professional installer and a tuner to avoid any warranty and engine light issues - that I heard off, so, if anyone can shed some light, it'll be appreciated it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 07:33 PM   #2
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Id highly suggest you drive a 6MT M5 first.
I am a die hard 6MT Fan and I personally think the M5 is just way to big for a manual. She's a big pig...

Manual M3/M4 or DCT M5 if you ask me.

But you do you Boo-Boo.
      10-14-2015, 12:09 AM   #3
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
I am a die hard 6MT Fan and I personally think the M5 is just way to big for a manual. She's a big pig...

But you do you Boo-Boo.
And I also read with 6MT the turbo lag is more obvious, where's it's almost non-existent with the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 12:38 AM   #4
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat
Quote:

But you do you Boo-Boo.
And I also read with 6MT the turbo lag is more obvious, where's it's almost non-existent with the DCT.
There is also that awesome popping noise under boost and max load when DTC shifts. God I love that crack of the whip like noise.
      10-14-2015, 03:32 PM   #5
FnK SnK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
There is also that awesome popping noise under boost and max load when DTC shifts. God I love that crack of the whip like noise.
Yup, its an addictive noise
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2015, 05:51 PM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

these wheels are gonna look sweet! reminds me of my old skool BBS Moda's! especially flossin' 21's! what color?

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 05:44 PM   #7
Lerxst M4
Command Sergeant Major of the Army
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnK SnK View Post
Yup, its an addictive noise
I love it! It sounds like a shotgun now with the Dinan tune! CRACK!!!
2008 E90 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 11:53 PM   #8
sdf10m5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT-R

The noise truly is addicting ! It's just as prevalent with the manual btw.
And to the op- Congrats, you will love the 6 speed.. The dct is phenomenal no doubt, i just prefer the third pedal.. The acceleration is absolutely brutal, and the manual is butter smooth for driving around town.
      10-18-2015, 09:38 PM   #9
Karthigan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks...

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinion and feedback.

I am so excited as well.

I want the PUR wheels to have a carbon black and/or gray metallic finish, just like the photo that I posted.

I know the M3/M4 has a "more aggressive" looking bumper (wish the M5 did as well), so, I want to "deck"out the wheels' tires outside the fender a bit, so, it adds to the aggressive look and feel.

I am definitely looking forward to the 6-speed, oh how I wish BMW incorporated their patent for the 7-speed manual transmission (google it for those who don't know about it), but who knows if they scrapped that idea or holding out for a future car. Only time will tell.

Now a question: if I choose to keep the stock suspension and springs / shocks, given the front wheel at 21x9.5 and rear at 21x11, how much space would there be between the tire and the fender. Because looking at some springs / suspension - it doesn't drop the car height that much from looking at H&R as an example, any thoughts?

I will eventually progressive myself with DINAN tuning (stage 1 then stage 2), including the carbon fibre cold intake, the full tailpipe / muffler change along with eveything else that would cost approx.$16K, but that's in due time. Summer 2017 or Summer 2018
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 07:43 PM   #10
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthigan View Post
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinion and feedback.

I am so excited as well.

I want the PUR wheels to have a carbon black and/or gray metallic finish, just like the photo that I posted.

I know the M3/M4 has a "more aggressive" looking bumper (wish the M5 did as well), so, I want to "deck"out the wheels' tires outside the fender a bit, so, it adds to the aggressive look and feel.

I am definitely looking forward to the 6-speed, oh how I wish BMW incorporated their patent for the 7-speed manual transmission (google it for those who don't know about it), but who knows if they scrapped that idea or holding out for a future car. Only time will tell.

Now a question: if I choose to keep the stock suspension and springs / shocks, given the front wheel at 21x9.5 and rear at 21x11, how much space would there be between the tire and the fender. Because looking at some springs / suspension - it doesn't drop the car height that much from looking at H&R as an example, any thoughts?

I will eventually progressive myself with DINAN tuning (stage 1 then stage 2), including the carbon fibre cold intake, the full tailpipe / muffler change along with eveything else that would cost approx.$16K, but that's in due time. Summer 2017 or Summer 2018

Here is my car on 21 ADV1's on stock NON competition edition suspension. I continue to hear people say HR are way too soft. I honestly think you should keep it stock. Its such a nice car out of the box. With 21's you hardly have any gap. If you are set on lowering it, I would get KW V3s or something on that level.

When I see my car in car's next to me paint reflection, my tires look dead even no gap from what I can tell. Only when moving though.

Parked gap.
http://i57.tinypic.com/10yqder.jpg

Rolling gap.
http://i57.tinypic.com/2yjo9rm.jpg

Sorry for bad quality. Both iphone 5 pics.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 10-24-2015 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 08:58 AM   #11
freezey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I am in a similar debate about the 6MT M5. I have the F80 M3 in 6MT and looking to trade up but haven't had the chance to test it yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 08:22 PM   #12
Karthigan
Enlisted Member
Rep

The photo from PUR wheels (my first post), that colour is Black Sapphire Metallic, correct?

I wonder how the PUR wheels will look with Singapore Gray Metallic.

Also, I need some people's opinion on spending $9000.00 on Premium Package (in Canada), this what would come:

1. BMW Individual Reading Lights
2. Side Sunshades
3. Electric Rear Sunshade
4. Active Seat for Driver and Front Passenger
5. M Multifunctional Seats
6. Ventilated Seats, Front
7. Speed Limit Info
8. Surround View
9. Active Blind Spot Detection
10. Lane Departure and Collision Warning
11. Head-Up Display
12. Active Protection
13. Automatic Trunk
14. Soft Close Doors
15. SiriusXM Satellite Radio Tuner (plus 1 yr prepaid subscription)

Now, can anyone tell me if all this is worth $9000.00 CAD and also, can someone provide reference for comparing the standard seats with the "M" multi-functional seats?

Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2015, 12:59 AM   #13
Karthigan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Anyone with their opinion on the above options?
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2015, 10:06 AM   #14
isakhnov
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 M5 CP - SG/AB

The key two features for me from that list are hud and seats. I was only looking for the executive package (us) cars due to this two features alone. The rest are nice addons but I would not pay extra for them. It happened that I got a great deal on three months old car that had all of the features you listed and blind spot and surround view are cool toys to pay with. You'll appreciate shades if you have kids, mine were playing with them on my old m3 and now have the same in m5. My daughter LOVES seat warmer on the backseat that also comes with exec package.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 10:41 AM   #15
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
The photo from PUR wheels (my first post), that colour is Black Sapphire Metallic, correct?

Also, I need some people's opinion on spending $9000.00 on Premium Package (in Canada), this what would come:

2. Side Sunshades
7. Speed Limit Info
8. Surround View
11. Head-Up Display
12. Active Protection
13. Automatic Trunk
14. Soft Close Doors

Now, can anyone tell me if all this is worth $9000.00 CAD and also, can someone provide reference for comparing the standard seats with the "M" multi-functional seats?

Thanks.
soft close and automatic trunk are good to have, however HUD and Multifunctional seats are MUST have

standard seats are very shit and they even make interior look shit
head up display is very useful

you can live without the rest of the options
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #16
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng
Quote:

2. Side Sunshades
7. Speed Limit Info
8. Surround View
11. Head-Up Display
12. Active Protection
13. Automatic Trunk
14. Soft Close Doors

Thanks.
soft close and automatic trunk are good to have, however HUD and Multifunctional seats are MUST have

standard seats are very shit and they even make interior look shit
head up display is very useful

you can live without the rest of the options
Very shit, hahaha.

Yeah, please upgrade the seats. Active seats are pointless but they seem to come in packages, so might as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #17
Karthigan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the feed back, definitely will be getting this option.

Does anyone know if you need to wait unti there is mileage build up on the vehicle, before getting the DINAN tuning experience? I was thinking about going "all out", with their signature package (the stages upgrade, cold in-take, the exhaust system and the suspension spring system) ... the cost is around approx. $12,000.00 thru $14,000.00 or $15,000.00. Which is one of the reason why I didn't go with the Ultimate Package as an option for M5 ($25,000.00 CAD). I rather spend the money here with DINAN.

Also, speaking of DINAN, we don't have to get it done at the dealership, right? There are authorized places in Toronto, Canada?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #18
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the feed back, definitely will be getting this option.

Does anyone know if you need to wait unti there is mileage build up on the vehicle, before getting the DINAN tuning experience? I was thinking about going "all out", with their signature package (the stages upgrade, cold in-take, the exhaust system and the suspension spring system) ... the cost is around approx. $12,000.00 thru $14,000.00 or $15,000.00. Which is one of the reason why I didn't go with the Ultimate Package as an option for M5 ($25,000.00 CAD). I rather spend the money here with DINAN.

Also, speaking of DINAN, we don't have to get it done at the dealership, right? There are authorized places in Toronto, Canada?
why do you want to go with dinan?
just because of their name?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 07:31 AM   #19
Orich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthigan

2. Side Sunshades
7. Speed Limit Info
8. Surround View
11. Head-Up Display
12. Active Protection
13. Automatic Trunk
14. Soft Close Doors

Thanks.
Multifunctional Seats and HUD are must haves on m5
      11-10-2015, 07:38 AM   #20
JimmyZ06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by isakhnov View Post
The key two features for me from that list are hud and seats. I was only looking for the executive package (us) cars due to this two features alone. The rest are nice addons but I would not pay extra for them. It happened that I got a great deal on three months old car that had all of the features you listed and blind spot and surround view are cool toys to pay with. You'll appreciate shades if you have kids, mine were playing with them on my old m3 and now have the same in m5. My daughter LOVES seat warmer on the backseat that also comes with exec package.
Ditto. Ventilated seats are friggin' awesome in the ATL summers! Everyone loves the soft close doors too. Is it worth $9K probably not but it is a BMW right?

2022 Marina Bay Blue X5M Competition

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #21
Karthigan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
I have two reasons: 1. They are the only tuning company authorized to maintain factory warranty from BMW when you tune-up, unless I am wrong?

2. Reading on the forums advised some got engine issues, check lights, etc. going with other aftermarkets tune-ups?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 08:18 PM   #22
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
I have two reasons: 1. They are the only tuning company authorized to maintain factory warranty from BMW when you tune-up, unless I am wrong?

2. Reading on the forums advised some got engine issues, check lights, etc. going with other aftermarkets tune-ups?
Have you read about limp-mode/drive train malfunction going hard above 4.5-5k rpms in 4th+ gears?
Few people had it with dinan
Appreciate 0