Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Cosmetic Changes to the M5

I have just ordered MCB reflectors to replace those pair of yellow ones as I am quite convinced that those really need to go. I am contemplating to follow suit with having black front and side grills and maybe change the M5 badge to black. But I would want to have a preview of how the car would look so next to actually physically replacing those items on my car, I used photoshop to visually see how those changes would look. I don't know if it is just me but I feel that the chrome grills and badge actually look much better on a Monte Carlo Blue M5. I feel that on an MCB M5 the black grills and badge look somewhat tacky and putting them would make me feel as if I was trying too hard to be different. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
See post I just put up called: Three M5s. Barry's car is MCB with blacked out grills.

I originally ordered MCB (before changing to Silverstone) and personally, I think it's a tough call. Prior to seeing his car today, I would have absolutely said keep the chrome, but after seeing it in person, I'm not so sure. I think the black grills look very very good with MCB.

Good news...you can always swap them back if you don't like it.
      12-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
Grayblack
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and G07 X7

I really like black grilles with all of the colors. I'm just not a fan of chrome, but it all comes down to personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Rob, thanks for the info. I will go visit somebody who also got an MCB M5 and has put the black grills. I will see if it is to my liking. Chrome does not bother me. I think a lot of people just hate it because it is so common and wanting to be individualistic and different is their aim but not me. If I see something I like I go for it and will not just go for something else for the sake of being different, but if I don't like it then I avoid or skip it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I would stick with Chrome. I think Chrome complements blue better than black. However I have not seen in person - my opinion is based on previous BMWs I have seen. I prefer black accents on light colored cars like White and Silver, as well as Space Gray which is not light but needs some contrast to make the accents more visible. The trouble with black on MCB is it reduces contrast between the accents and the car. Since the whole point of an accent is to be visible it diminishes the point of having an accent. You may as well go body color with the grilles and debadge.

Also I think you need to black the exhaust if you are going to black the grilles and badges. Although if you go down that path you could order Cyba's Carbon slip on tips.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
MCM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MCB F10 M5

Actually, I have the same dilemma. I've been considering keeping the grills chrome vs going for gloss black vs frozen black grills. Yes, it's a tough call.
Anyway, I've ordered gloss black grills (yet to receive), will put them on, if don't like them, will go back to chrome. Guess that's the best solution for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
vaibhav11
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 M5 PMS Limited Editio

I have the MCB M5 and got it with the OEM gloss black kidney grills. I like it better than the chrome. I also ordered the side grills in black and the trunk badge in black from IND but haven't had a chance to install them yet. I will do it later this week and post pics. I'm still debating on whether to change the exhaust tips to black (IND sells them).
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #8
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Stealth.Pilot, I am with you. I had a chance to look at a friend's MCB M5 with the front and side black grills and I did not like it. I am sticking to the chrome grills. Unlike others who seem to love the black grills no matter what body color, I did not find it pleasing at all in person on a monte carlo blue body, and I finally decided not to go for it anymore when my gf made the comment that it reminds her of car owners who would change anything chrome such as badges, decals, etc. on their cars to golden (in the NYC area the owner would be unjustifiably identified though may not be true, as being a "pimp" or "dealer").

Also as what stealth.pilot has said, the grills should act as accents to the car. The black grills may look nice on a white or light colored car body but not on a dark one such as monte carlo blue. Looking at a picture of an MCB M5 with black grills, one's eye seem to wander aimlessly from one area of the car to the other randomly, whereas on a the car with chrome grills, one's eye is immediately focused on the grill then to the side grill. In photography/film, this is what you need to do to get the viewer to focus on a specific area -- increase/put contrast between the light and dark areas. Viewers' eyes will focus primarily on the brighter area (light colored grill in a dark car body). In the case of a light-colored body and dark grills, viewers primary focus will be on the body. When there is little contrast as in the case of a dark body and dark grills, there is no area where the viewer's focus is drawn and viewer's eyes just wanders.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
NlckyBlack
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: Too many cars

So many people change them i think it's more individualistic to leave it chrome, which i think is what your leaving towards
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
vaibhav11
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 M5 PMS Limited Editio

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav11 View Post
I have the MCB M5 and got it with the OEM gloss black kidney grills. I like it better than the chrome. I also ordered the side grills in black and the trunk badge in black from IND but haven't had a chance to install them yet. I will do it later this week and post pics. I'm still debating on whether to change the exhaust tips to black (IND sells them).
I finally got a chance to put in the side grills and the trunk emblem. Here are some pics on the MCB color.

Side Grills:
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpos...9&postcount=13

Trunk Emblem:
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpos...55&postcount=7
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Personally, my MCB, if it ever gets here, will have gloss black kidneys, body color gills with only the center portion black with body colored reflectors with a nice set of Macht Schnell spacers... See how long that keeps me content.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:25 AM   #12
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Appreciate 0