M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Need Help in deciding 20" or 19" alloy wheels

I have finalize the configuration for my M5 and need submit for the final order. Here's the config:
135G 2013 M5, (2MA) 6MT Manual Transmission
B05 Monte Carlo Blue
X3SW Black Full Merino Leather
ZDA Driver Assistance Package
ZEC Executive Package
6UK Night Vision with Pedestrian Detection
XE7 Piano Finish Black Trim

I originally settled on the 19" due to some posts saying that the ride is much better. I saw the 20" at the Javits Center during the NY Intl Auto Show and really liked it. So am debating on whether to finally go with the 19 or the 20. I'm afraid I will relent on not having chosen the 20 if I go with the 19. Can somebody please give me his/her honest opinion. Driving the M5 on the tracks is not in my plans but may try it if I am at a (legal) track location. I will mostly use it for some city driving but mostly for long drives such NYC to end of Long Island or to the Ski resorts in upstate NY, Vermont and maybe up north to Canada.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
phish_100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black F10M M5

20s. 100%. Particularly if you think you might regret it. I flip flopped between 19 and 20s too. The 20s are disgustingly nice to look at!!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

^ Agreed. The 20s look fantastic in person too. Trust me, if you get the 19s you'll regret not getting the 20s, but if you get the 20s you definitely won't find yourself saying, "I wonder how much softer this ride could've been if I'd gotten 19s."

Congrats on getting 6MT too. Fyi I'd recommend considering the standard aluminum trim though. It's far nicer in person than the pics would suggest, highly intricate and very upscale looking. Piano Black might be a bit too much black given that you'll have a full black interior, though I guess the silver strip wrapping around the trim would at least help that somewhat if you kept Piano Black. Piano Black is also a dust and fingerprint magnet.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
brainblade
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5m

i dont think drivers in south florida and texas understand how bad the roads are in an around new york- this morning i was driving in the City and could barely get down 23 rd and 10th on my 19s. At this point , as a new york driver i think you go wiuth 19s---i think 20s are going to be a big problem. at one point i was convinced on getting 20s but now im going 19. from a cost standpoint, i think you may want to order with 20s and try to pick up a set of 19s later as it will be cheaper to get 20s now rather than later --i think owners who want custom rims will order the car with 19s
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainblade View Post
i dont think drivers in south florida and texas understand how bad the roads are in an around new york- this morning i was driving in the City and could barely get down 23 rd and 10th on my 19s. At this point , as a new york driver i think you go wiuth 19s---i think 20s are going to be a big problem. at one point i was convinced on getting 20s but now im going 19. from a cost standpoint, i think you may want to order with 20s and try to pick up a set of 19s as they become more available--i think owners who want custom rims will order the car with 19s
Thank you guys for all the input and suggestions. Other NY BMW drivers did advise me to get the 19" for NYC road conditions.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
i dont think drivers in south florida and texas understand how bad the roads are in an around new york- this morning i was driving in the City and could barely get down 23 rd and 10th on my 19s. At this point , as a new york driver i think you go wiuth 19s---i think 20s are going to be a big problem. at one point i was convinced on getting 20s but now im going 19. from a cost standpoint, i think you may want to order with 20s and try to pick up a set of 19s later as it will be cheaper to get 20s now rather than later --i think owners who want custom rims will order the car with 19s
If wheel size decision is to be based on crappy urban roads because the car will be spending a significant amount of its time on them, I have to wonder why the buyer is even contemplating an M5?

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 05-11-2012 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Fyi I'd recommend considering the standard aluminum trim though. It's far nicer in person than the pics would suggest, highly intricate and very upscale looking. Piano Black might be a bit too much black given that you'll have a full black interior, though I guess the silver strip wrapping around the trim would at least help that somewhat if you kept Piano Black. Piano Black is also a dust and fingerprint magnet.
Closeups of the aluminum trim show a really nice trim. My concern is that because of the pattern on the aluminum, a scratch on it will easily be evident as it deviates from the pattern. At least if it were smooth, one can just easily apply some polishing to remove it or make it less obvious. With a smooth piano finish, I have dealt with this type of surface with appliances, (Sony's PSP, PS3) including a grand piano -- scratches can easily be covered and hidden from being obvious. Regarding fingerprint/dust, the solution to that is laying a thin layer of antistatic film delivered via a solution or spray -- it really works. At home for smooth and shiny applliance surfaces as well as flat screens (TV, Monitors) which attract dust due to their inherent electorstatic charges, I use "EndDust" -- which I think can be use for the black piano trim.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Exactly - the roads here are extremely bad, and it's not just potholes. The other culprit is construction - Im very good at avoiding potholes and rarely get anywhere near them, but Ive bent two of my 19 inch rims as a result of raised construction grates.

I went back and forth, but I decided I am getting the 20's because the price is just too good. Should the 20's be too harsh, it will be easy to downgrade to 19s with an owner who regrets not getting the 20's. You could do a + cash swap and Im sure you can get at least the $1300.

This is what I plan to do once I order my 20" aftermkts - take off the 20" PSS's for the aftermkt wheels, and swap my 20's for 19's plus cash to someone and pop winter tires on them.

Back when the e46 M3 offered 19s as an option, TONS of owners had regret in not getting the 19's - a +cash trade was very easy to do - and if you had the 19's, you were making the market. I'd think it would be the same way with the 20's and the F10. Getting the 20;s puts you in a much better position should u change your mind. Not to mention with all the guys who will want to sell their 19s when they buy aftermkt wheels like you said, forums will be littered with 19's for sale killing their resale value.

Last edited by PatrickC23; 05-11-2012 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My intention is not to use the M5 for city driving that's for my other cars and as I have stated "for long drives". Unless they have an M5 model that can vertical take off and land, there is no way to avoid driving through the bad streets of the city since I live in New York City. Outside NYC, like trips to the Hamptons, Montauk or upstate New York, Vermont and Canada should not be a problem.
Appreciate 0