M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

07-30-2016, 11:03 AM   #89
Eddybro
Captain
Rep
Drives: Melbourne e90 and SG e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarsFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddybro View Post
Bringing this back from the dead.. I'm having rattle with my AMS catless downpipes. I replaced the original gaskets, with new ones when I swapped them in originally, going to replace them with new gaskets again and hopefully the sound goes away. What's the deal alpha ? Any fix on these? Thank you
It's not the downpipes specifically it's just that you can hear it with catless downpipes.. My rattle is pretty bad, but I honestly don't care as I only hear it if I rev my engine loudly.. and then I dont really care anyway because I'm enjoying the sound of the turbos singing..
It only rattles when I come off the throttle. My buddy has the same setup with GTC. No rattle.
      07-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #90
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
It only rattles when I come off the throttle. My buddy has the same setup with GTC. No rattle.
Amazing. As I said I wouldn't worry too much, you should be fine and get used to it. I couldn't go back to catted downpipes now because I enjoy the setup and power too much.
      07-30-2016, 12:25 PM   #91
Eddybro
Captain
Rep
Drives: Melbourne e90 and SG e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarsFan
Quote:
Amazing. As I said I wouldn't worry too much, you should be fine and get used to it. I couldn't go back to catted downpipes now because I enjoy the setup and power too much.
Not worried. I love the setup, and if I know that I can fix something that bothers me, and it's possible. I wouldn't want to settle for less
      07-30-2016, 07:01 PM   #92
combatbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 20' X3M CP

Garage List
Quote:
Not worried. I love the setup, and if I know that I can fix something that bothers me, and it's possible. I wouldn't want to settle for less

Give up bro. Just deal with it.

I had mine reinstalled like 5x with new gaskets by 3 different shops, all reputable still rattles.

I just drive my car in sports + mode all the time literally.

Only annoying thing is when you valet and they drive the car up in efficient mode with a crowd everywhere and just rattles
Retired:2015 M5 CP MSR Intake|Carbon Fiber Fender Vents|Meisterschaft GTC catback with LXR mid pipes and ER Catless DPs | BPMSPORT Stage II Tune | RKP Rear Diffuser and Challenge Center piece |RKP Front Lip| Painted Reflectors | H&R Springs | Strasse SM5R Carbon Fiber Wheels | Nitto R888 |
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 11:54 AM   #93
vince7870
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5m azurite black metalic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaAlpineM6 View Post
The downpipes are not a 100% perfect fit, and by no means are "easy to install".

AMS the fabricator and designer should provide a PDF install tutorial along with the pipes to ensure their customers will experience the full benefits of this system without sacrifice.

I am not surprised techs are having a difficult time with the install.

I took my car to Malek@MRF Engineering here in Southern California. He charges more than most for the install but he's very thorough. I don't have time to go back twice.

Nothing was scratched, dinged or dented. He got it right the first time. Here's a photo of the hanger, and gasket fitment.

Once the stock downpipes are removed, the gasket will not come up with it. Remove the gasket and place them on the AMS downpipes before you place the downpipes in the car.

People who are experiencing an abnormal rattling noise likely have the gasket installed incorrectly.

The gasket is not to seal from leaks but function as a vibration suppressor. Suppressing the vibration caused from the downpipes vibrating and clanking on the hanger.

so you have not rattle ever with the dps installed?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 12:06 AM   #94
Darv8
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

I just got catless downpipes installed on my M6 and I’m experiencing the same rattle that hunter and others have had. I’m still unclear on what solves the issue. Is it just installing new gaskets that will reduce the rattling or is there more to it?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 05:22 PM   #95
Calle799
Denmark
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Hi guys,

Waking up this thread. I have installed catless downpipes to my M5 F10. After some minutes driving i heard this annoying rattle sound. After reading this thread i started to inspect the wastegate. And the rattle is coming from the arm. If i for example put a screewdriver between the arm and wastegate the sound dissapear.

Im not sure if i installed the "dounat" right, how should it be fitted? I first put the ring on the downpipe and after that the flat gasket, pressed it togheter and screew it. (very very tight, had to be like three persons to hold it and screew it) I think that i may have put something wrong and it is so tight that it makes this vibrations so the arm vibrates, what do you think?

The flat side of the ring, should it be up or down? I will also buy new rings.

Funny thing is that the drivers side wastegate arm is vibrate very much and it was that side that was very very tight between pipe and rest of exhausr when installing. The passanger side was easyer to fit and the rattle on that side is very very small.

Best regards,
Calle from Denmark

Last edited by Calle799; 06-24-2019 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 12:20 AM   #96
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaAlpineM6 View Post
The downpipes are not a 100% perfect fit, and by no means are "easy to install".

AMS the fabricator and designer should provide a PDF install tutorial along with the pipes to ensure their customers will experience the full benefits of this system without sacrifice.

I am not surprised techs are having a difficult time with the install.

I took my car to Malek@MRF Engineering here in Southern California. He charges more than most for the install but he's very thorough. I don't have time to go back twice.

Nothing was scratched, dinged or dented. He got it right the first time. Here's a photo of the hanger, and gasket fitment.

Once the stock downpipes are removed, the gasket will not come up with it. Remove the gasket and place them on the AMS downpipes before you place the downpipes in the car.

People who are experiencing an abnormal rattling noise likely have the gasket installed incorrectly.

The gasket is not to seal from leaks but function as a vibration suppressor. Suppressing the vibration caused from the downpipes vibrating and clanking on the hanger.

Hi all,

Not trying to revive an old thread, but to help provide some guidance for future owners with the same rattle as the one in Hunter's video. Mine was making the exact same noise after installing Meisterschaft 90mm catless downpipes.

Upon inspection, I determined that the noise was coming from under the car on the driver side. As the user (AlphaAlpineM6) tagged in this answer, it was more than likely an improper installation on my part due to not exactly knowing how this exhaust system is designed at the bottom.

To fix without removing the downpipes again:
  1. Get under the car and undo the nuts holding the exhaust up.
  2. Pull down a bit on the exhaust and realign the gasket as best as possible.
  3. Push up on the exhaust and start putting the nuts back on.
  4. Tighten them each little by little until they're fully secure and the exhaust is flush with the bracket.

That seems to have solved my noise problem. Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 09:09 PM   #97
jonathanpapeleta
Jonathan
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw f10 M5

downpipes

i have 2014 f10 m5 not sure what kind of downpipes would be the best for this car
Appreciate 0