M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

07-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Question *Updated* Need ED advice / Firm Itinerary

Gents:

Just got my pickup date confirmed for my 2014 M5. Plan is to do some heavy driving to knock out the break-in in Germany, and be able to hit the 'Ring and Autobahn above 5000RPM/105MPH. I have been to Europe many times, but never in my own car, and want to explore some through the alps, show my wife some of the fun places I already know in Germany and France, and visit friends stationed overseas.

From those who have experience and/or know how, what inputs, questions, or critiques would you have for this rough itinerary? All maps based on Google Maps; for times I used viamichelin. - I expect better at some points, worse at others. Here's a updated link:

UPDATE 20 July: See the attached PDF for a more robust itinerary. Im booked on most places. Big thanks to greentrbo85gst for the recommendation of courtyard travel. They were able to get me in every hotel I had already planned to book, but cheaper and refundable, and in a couple of cases with breakfast thrown in.

I have a couple of questions that still remain:

Question #1 Is google maps timing reliable? Some have said to go so far as doubling their times which would make my trip unfeasible. I've padded a little from what it returns, but in order to get the miles on the car in the time that I need to before break-in I have some long days of driving.

Question #2 How long should I budget for BMW Welt activities? I am expecting about an hour from appointment time or less all said and done.. I know how the nav system works,etc. How long would you budget for the Museum and factory tour.

Question #3 If you had to choose between the factory tour, going to Neuschwanstein for the obligatory ED photo (been there, toured the castle before), or going to the Eagle's Nest, which would you choose? My only unresolved day is what exactly to do after pickup between Munich and Grossglockner. Alternate route

Question #4 Do my cost estimates seem about right? My budget for this trip was about $10k, and I haven't included souvenirs, etc... I am estimating about 10km/l and and average of 1.80EUR/l for gas. Right now, I am about 20% below planned budget so there is some wiggle room. Any other cost gotchas I need to think about?

If I am overthinking some of this, feel free to let me know that as well... extensive mission planning is in my nature, but I dont want it to ruin the experience.

thanks in advance,

Chris

Last edited by B-1Pilot; 07-30-2013 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: Updated 7/20
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
ucla95
Striker
Rep
Drives: Slow cars

I'd drop off the car in Frankfurt and fly back from there. The drive from the Ring to Munich is unremarkable (I've done it and wouldn't do it again); I'd much rather stay longer at the Ring and maybe hit some of the country roads around it as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Read my ED write up (Link in my sig). This was my first ED and I used a company that I was reffered to via BMW. They helped me with hotel choices, interesting stop points, etc. Their contact info is in my write up.
I only paid them $50 bux for all the planning.
      07-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla95 View Post
I'd drop off the car in Frankfurt and fly back from there. The drive from the Ring to Munich is unremarkable (I've done it and wouldn't do it again); I'd much rather stay longer at the Ring and maybe hit some of the country roads around it as well.
thanks for the heads up Frankfurt is actually much easier, as i can get direct flights... one easy train from Frankfurt to Munich and it saves me money.

Itinerary updated!

Last edited by B-1Pilot; 07-10-2013 at 10:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
Read my ED write up (Link in my sig). This was my first ED and I used a company that I was reffered to via BMW. They helped me with hotel choices, interesting stop points, etc. Their contact info is in my write up.
I only paid them $50 bux for all the planning.
awesome, I had read your ED, but thought your service might have cost way more than that... biggest thing I am chasing is telling my CA when and where I will drop the car off!

Last edited by B-1Pilot; 07-10-2013 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: I to type a word
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
awesome, I had read your ED, but thought your service might have cost way more than that... biggest thing I am chasing is telling my CA when and where I will drop the car off!
Not only they charge $50, but also you get discounts for hotels and BMW vip treatment through them at every hotel.
      07-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Don't know if this helps you, but here's an archive of all the great European Delivery journals we've featured over the years:

http://www.bimmerpost.com/europeandelivery/

Perhaps it can give you more ideas for your itinerary.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #8
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep

Bump -- thanks for all the great puts so far.
updated with a couple questions.
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpos...36&postcount=1
      07-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Right on B-1. Looks like you are about as specific as me when it comes to itinerary. I applaud you!

Questions...

#1. Yes, give yourself more time than Google maps states. I would actually map them on http://www.viamichelin.com too, that is what we did and brought those maps as they have the exact signage you'll be looking for on-route. I don't know about double, but certainly may be more if you decide to stop to stretch your legs, photos, put the go-pro on the car, get an ice cream, etc. Either way, we tried to stay under 5hrs of driving per day.

#2. Welt/delivery. We arrived at 8AM as well, for a 9:30AM delivery. Had breakfast, went to the store, and looked around. Our delivery took about 1hr. Rolf, our delivery host, knew that I had an E60 and we skipped all of the redundancy. After delivery, we spent about an hour, couple more snacks and then on the road to Switzerland. Could probably skip that. I see that you are going to try and get in/out in 3hrs with a factory tour. IMHO it is going to be tight. Figure on some traffic getting out of Munich at 1ish on Monday. Our ED was Monday as well, and there was some traffic until we were out of Munich on 95.

#3. Hmm...been to Neuschwanstein and Berchtesgaden. Didn't do the BMW factory tour. Honestly, I would get driving as soon as you can and enjoy the drive. You'll be going on adrenaline - it is a crazy day. I for one didn't really want to stop driving, but was getting tired. If you are pushing it for time (i.e., more than 5 hrs of mapped drive time) I'd say skip all three and enjoy the drive through Bavaria. It is beautiful. Go do some back roads or something and see the countryside.

#4. I would think you are good on the budget. What got us was food. We ate like kings, offering to forgo fast "cheaper" meals for longer lunches and late dinners. More on food than expected...but it was sure good.

Hope this helps!
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #10
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep

Thanks much for the info!

I reran all the times with viamichelin (nice app for iPad too)... This added about 10-20% time on some legs, but others were exactly same as google, however the directions are way more specific. I may use this to make hard copies for my "navigator"....

In order to hit both grossglockner and stelvio and make it to como we are going to have one very long day, but it's the first full day with the car so be it.

I think I'm going to take you advice and just drive the first day.

As for food... Well I had reservations ate couple Michelin starred restaurants, but think we will branch out to more local favorites... I always budget high for food and wine!
      07-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #11
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep

I updated my route to include more alpine pass driving (added Gotthard and Susten) and ditch going the through the Mont Blanc tunnel (and its costs). Via Michelin times definitely seem to be more conservative/access.

07-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Make sure you take a lot of pics. It will help me plan my next ED.
      07-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #13
dhirm5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 ZCP, 2014 X5 35d

This plan looks amazing. If it wasn't for the kids in school, I'd def follow your footsteps. Looking forward to the write up with lots of pix!

Maybe not as many as greentrbo95gst ... opening that thread nearly crashed my browser..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhirm5 View Post
This plan looks amazing. If it wasn't for the kids in school, I'd def follow your footsteps. Looking forward to the write up with lots of pix!

Maybe not as many as greentrbo95gst ... opening that thread nearly crashed my browser..
sorry I was so excited about the first ED that I had to share as much as possible.
You all are lucky i went from 5000+ to 550 in pics.
      08-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #15
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

i came back from my 5th eurotrip 12 hours ago
i put another 4k km on my car over 10 days

however was the first long trip in my m5 and i looooved it

i hv driven through all the roads you are planning to go and its absolutely amazing experience and sick roads, especially through alps

make sure you fuel up in luxembourg, cheapest petrol out of all countries you gonna visit and also at petrol station on nurburgring

would also suggest you to edit your route through Schwarzwald (black forest) and drive deeper inside
you are going to be close to stuttgart, i would suggest you visit porsche and mercedes museums, even though we are all BMW fans, mercedes museum is different level comparing to bmw, unfortunately... and porsche has a lot of history, if you are motorsport enthusiast

biggest thing i have learned about eurotrips, never plan anything like hotels and exact roads, just have a rough plan of cities you want to visit and amend it along your way. when you book hotels in advance, you are stuck to it... i just book hotels 1 night in advance through booking.com, when i am leaving a city i slept in. you have more freedom basically, but i understand for me it is easier, as i live in uk and i can take a ferry from france to uk every 45-60mins, rather than be on time for my transatlantic flight

good luck. post pics after ED and CONGRATS

if you any more help, let me know
Appreciate 0