M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

03-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #23
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Ok so hopefully this one we can pu to rest

Here's some background info on how the magic exhaust valve works

The exhaust flap reduces the noise level when the engine is idle and when the engine speed is close to idle. This reduces the outlet noise to improve comfort for the customer.
The reduction in outlet noise is appr 8db .

The engine control activates the exhaust valve.
The degree of opening depends on gear, engine load and engine speed (see chart below).
Only two conditions , open and closed, occur while driving.

Index
1 Gear Engaged
2 Exhaust flap , closed
3 Exhaust flap, closed
4 Data point for engine speed

If the exhaust flap is faulty (or tempered with) the exhaust system will emit a hissing noise at high engine speeds when it's closed.
If the exhaust flap is defective and partially open a humming noise will be generated at idle.

Case closed
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      03-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #24
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Well that puts a decisive end to that!

Just making sure this is read correctly...To clarify (and correct me if I am wrong) the exhaust valves being wired open has no side effects other than louder note (slightly). That was my experience. There si no hissing or humming whatsoever. Now having modified OEM without valves and different piping it sounds fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #25
jmh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Well that puts a decisive end to that!

Just making sure this is read correctly...To clarify (and correct me if I am wrong) the exhaust valves being wired open has no side effects other than louder note (slightly). That was my experience. There si no hissing or humming whatsoever. Now having modified OEM without valves and different piping it sounds fantastic.

Correct (on the side effects)
I think the hissing/humming is something some very sensitive drivers might hear. Probably not folks looking for a more pronounced exhaust note
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #26
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post

The exhaust flap reduces the noise level when the engine is idle and when the engine speed is close to idle. This reduces the outlet noise to improve comfort for the customer.

The degree of opening depends on gear, engine load and engine speed (see chart below).

Index
1 Gear Engaged
2 Exhaust flap , closed
3 Exhaust flap, closed

If the exhaust flap is faulty (or tempered with) the exhaust system will emit a hissing noise at high engine speeds when it's closed.
If the exhaust flap is defective and partially open a humming noise will be generated at idle.

Case closed
Thanks jmh, this is great info!
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 03:50 AM   #27
w5pwr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
I am running a modified OEM muffler setup on my car. You can actually get those from Performing imports. It removes the valves altogether and replaces the OEM 45mm pipe with a 65mm to make it basically a straight thru system. Sounds very nice as well. Nice throaty V8 sound without any raspiness or over the top noise. They are also now in the process of developing prototype tips to enhance the look over the small OEM ones.
Would love to give this ago, I am planning on changing the system but this would be a cheaper solution, wonder if anyone in the UK has done it......
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #28
nv6425
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 Dark Shadow

Guys, I just completed the valve opening mod and it's a nice improvement in sound. It took me about 30 minutes all in and I can notice the difference, especially at lower RPMs. If I can swing another 8-10db via some other mod, the exhaust would be perfect! My butt dyno also noticed a slight increase in response at lower RPMs, but that could be in my head...or butt.

Thanks for the detailed explanation!!
      03-17-2013, 06:38 AM   #29
w5pwr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv6425 View Post
Guys, I just completed the valve opening mod and it's a nice improvement in sound. It took me about 30 minutes all in and I can notice the difference, especially at lower RPMs. If I can swing another 8-10db via some other mod, the exhaust would be perfect! My butt dyno also noticed a slight increase in response at lower RPMs, but that could be in my head...or butt.

Just done the mod myself this morning and agree it does make a nice little improvement, I think the other mods too stock would result in a good sound.....

I didn't notice any change in response.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #30
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv6425 View Post

You should call Ron@Performing Imports and ask him about a modified OEM exhaust. If you like the sound you have just created you will get a bit throatier and louder without it being obnoxious.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 04:14 AM   #31
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
You should call Ron@Performing Imports and ask him about a modified OEM exhaust. If you like the sound you have just created you will get a bit throatier and louder without it being obnoxious.
Hi Coldlist,
What does Ron actually do to the rear silencers ?. Does he open them up, and cover up the holes in the baffles, just like the E92 M3 mod ?, thankyou, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 05:46 AM   #32
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

A vid or audio of modified OEM would be great!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #33
jmh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Hi Coldlist,
What does Ron actually do to the rear silencers ?. Does he open them up, and cover up the holes in the baffles, just like the E92 M3 mod ?, thankyou, regards, SIMON.
Noelle does replace the internal piping with larger diameter pipes (from 59mm to 65mm) (see pic) and also removes the exhaust valve.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #34
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Noelle does replace the internal piping with larger diameter pipes (from 59mm to 65mm) (see pic) and also removes the exhaust valve.

Thanks JMH,
Yes, it makes sense. They will be removing the very short baffled pipes inside the rear silencers, effectively, making the exhaust a straight through version, so more noise. I bet it sounds very good, and not a £million to do, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #35
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks JMH,
Yes, it makes sense. They will be removing the very short baffled pipes inside the rear silencers, effectively, making the exhaust a straight through version, so more noise. I bet it sounds very good, and not a £million to do, regards, SIMON.
Yep. It sounds like a deeper throaty V8. Very nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 02:21 AM   #36
jmh
United_States
Rep

Btw you can also modify the vacuum setup so the exhaust valves are ALWAYS open , no need to use chicken/barb wire at all. Looks OEM and works perfectly. Over night the valves will close (loosing vacuum) but as soon as you start the engine they'll be open again.
I will take some detailed pictures/info when I get back from my trip next weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #37
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh
Btw you can also modify the vacuum setup so the exhaust valves are ALWAYS open , no need to use chicken/barb wire at all. Looks OEM and works perfectly. Over night the valves will close (loosing vacuum) but as soon as you start the engine they'll be open again.
I will take some detailed pictures/info when I get back from my trip next weekend.
Very interested
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #38
Tourbillon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 S550, '13 4S, '11 E550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh
Very interested
Very interested as well!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 02:44 AM   #39
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:

Index
1 Gear Engaged
2 Exhaust flap , closed
3 Exhaust flap, closed

Case closed
Great

Last edited by JOHNBMWM5; 05-11-2013 at 03:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 03:17 AM   #40
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi jmh, any news on this as mine on order (LCI October delivery) and I want to do this.
      05-11-2013, 06:11 AM   #41
Simon H
Major
Rep

Ive watched these valves, over the couple of months ive owned the car, and all i can see, is that the valves are closed, for a couple of minutes, during warm up, and then open from then onwards. So, all i can see these valves are used for, is for helping the cats, and the engine to warm up quicker ?. They are open all the time when the car is up to temp. So i dont really see the point of wiring them open, because they are always open anyway, when warm, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #42
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ive watched these valves, over the couple of months ive owned the car, and all i can see, is that the valves are closed, for a couple of minutes, during warm up, and then open from then onwards. So, all i can see these valves are used for, is for helping the cats, and the engine to warm up quicker ?. They are open all the time when the car is up to temp. So i dont really see the point of wiring them open, because they are always open anyway, when warm, regards, SIMON.
OK Simon, thats good then, I think the quicker the warm-up on this engine the better.
      05-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #43
jmh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
OK Simon, thats good then, I think the quicker the warm-up on this engine the better.
Purely a noise control feaure (cold start)
If you're worried about the engine warming up, touch the steel lines on top of the engine after it's been running for a minute....
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #44
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Purely a noise control feaure (cold start)
If you're worried about the engine warming up, touch the steel lines on top of the engine after it's been running for a minute....
So has Simon got it "spot on then" being open after initial star-up"?.
Because if so why bother strapping them open.