BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
PvsNP
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/2014 M5

Black grills question

Looking at getting black front and side grills for the M5 and have a few questions :

- Can I do this myself using something like plastidip? Any other recommended method?
- I found front and side grills for about 100-150 bucks each set (so around 300 bucks total) whereas IND is charging $549 for fronts and $2,699 (wow) for side. Forgive me for asking this as I know IND is loved religiously here and I mean absolutely no disrespect, but am I missing anything here? $549 for the plastic grills? And almost 3 grand for side grills? Together they are the cost of a winter set of tires and wheels from a good brand!

I certainly want to do this mod, but I really rather no pay 3 grand for it as the car is a lease and it will be returned and the parts will be removed in 3 years.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
frcotting
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i

IND side markers only cost $230. I just bought a pair.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvsNP View Post
Looking at getting black front and side grills for the M5 and have a few questions :

- Can I do this myself using something like plastidip? Any other recommended method?
- I found front and side grills for about 100-150 bucks each set (so around 300 bucks total) whereas IND is charging $549 for fronts and $2,699 (wow) for side. Forgive me for asking this as I know IND is loved religiously here and I mean absolutely no disrespect, but am I missing anything here? $549 for the plastic grills? And almost 3 grand for side grills? Together they are the cost of a winter set of tires and wheels from a good brand!

I certainly want to do this mod, but I really rather no pay 3 grand for it as the car is a lease and it will be returned and the parts will be removed in 3 years.

Thanks.
where is 2699 coming from ?

buy 3M gloss/matt black film
and do your magic
takes 15 mins per grill to wrap it, including removing it and prep cleaning
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 09:59 PM   #4
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

ok i found where its coming from
its not IND's price
its crazy bmw price: http://ind-distribution.com/ind/cate...n-side-markers - Manufactured by BMW

http://ind-distribution.com/ind/cate...5-side-markers - Utilizing the OEM base to ensure perfect fitment, made by IND and you can order custom painted with 4 different parts of it painted different colour
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #5
PvsNP
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
where is 2699 coming from ?

buy 3M gloss/matt black film
and do your magic
takes 15 mins per grill to wrap it, including removing it and prep cleaning
Can you be more specific? This will work on the front and the side grills as well? And it's easy to remove when I have to return the car at the end of the lease?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 10:52 PM   #6
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

The high price for side grills are the BMW black chrome side gills.

It's an individual part, special order part - that's why.

Just buy the regular side gills in gloss black (code 668 matches black exterior trim pieces). Sale price is around $200.
      03-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #7
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

If you are going to change the side grills, I would definitely buy from IND (I did and had them paint matched to my Silver Grey). It may be a little more expensive that doing it yourself with Plastdip or tape, but the result is 110% professional and you have a lot more options as to colors for the interior, the trim and the light itself. Why cheap out for a couple hundred dollars and take away for the appearance of a $100K+ car?

I just changed out my front grills on Friday. For me, this is a huge improvement and takes 5 minutes. I found them on getbmwparts.com for about $300 for the set.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 08:37 AM   #8
PvsNP
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
The high price for side grills are the BMW black chrome side gills.

It's an individual part, special order part - that's why.

Just buy the regular side gills in gloss black (code 668 matches black exterior trim pieces). Sale price is around $200.
I don't understand this comment. What's a "regular side grill in gloss black"? Is it not OEM BMW part? Is the color different?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #9
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I don't understand this comment. What's a "regular side grill in gloss black"? Is it not OEM BMW part? Is the color different?
Here is a link to the iND side grilles http://ind-distribution.com/ind/bran...5-side-markers and the most popular option has been gloss black surrounds plus matte black centers with light LED's.

The side grilles under this link are black chrome and off of the Edition M5. This is the first product that I have ever seen BMW AG get upset over us selling and they increased the pricing by 70%. Instead of pulling them from the market (like they wanted) we added the new retail price.

http://ind-distribution.com/ind/bran...n-side-markers
      03-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #10
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND
Quote:
Here is a link to the iND side grilles http://ind-distribution.com/ind/bran...5-side-markers and the most popular option has been gloss black surrounds plus matte black centers with light LED's.

The side grilles under this link are black chrome and off of the Edition M5. This is the first product that I have ever seen BMW AG get upset over us selling and they increased the pricing by 70%. Instead of pulling them from the market (like they wanted) we added the new retail price.

http://ind-distribution.com/ind/bran...n-side-markers
I can understand why they are upset. BMW Individual sells customers a black chrome package (front grilles, side gills, door handle inserts, tail pipes). The package price is close to $3,000

They must of been pretty upset to make one part the price of the entire package.

Not your fault though.. IND is just a business.. supplying parts with a demand to clients.
      03-12-2014, 12:12 AM   #11
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
OP - got your PM, but couldnt reply. I guess bc it shows you are banned?