M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
xballashakalax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

NEEDED: InstallAtion shop in LA area: H&R SPRINGS

Looking for a Realiable shop to install my springs. Any suggestions and price range?
2013 Cad cts-v (sold)
2014 Bmw F10 M5 (sold)
2016 BMW i8
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #2
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Dont do the H&R springs
It makes the handling worse....only makes the car look better.

Do coilovers. I assume its for the e90m3 in your sig?
Then Ohlins has the best street coilover kit for $6k...then KW for maybe $3k

If you want the car to handle better then OE = coilovers.

When your ready try www.emw1.com in Arcadia. They build BMW race cars and maintain some pristine OE cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Disagree on that note. I have HR and my car handles great. And I really drive the car hard.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
xballashakalax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek
Dont do the H&R springs
It makes the handling worse....only makes the car look better.

Do coilovers. I assume its for the e90m3 in your sig?
Then Ohlins has the best street coilover kit for $6k...then KW for maybe $3k

If you want the car to handle better then OE = coilovers.

When your ready try www.emw1.com in Arcadia. They build BMW race cars and maintain some pristine OE cars.
Sorry for misunderstanding, but it is for f10 m5.
2013 Cad cts-v (sold)
2014 Bmw F10 M5 (sold)
2016 BMW i8
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:12 PM   #5
DesertEagle50
Admiral General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 FB

Garage List
2013 BMW M5 F10  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
Go to EAS in anaheim. They are awesome.
      01-07-2014, 11:18 PM   #6
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

That's a pretty vague statement. How is it that H&R springs make your car's handling worse?
      01-07-2014, 11:46 PM   #7
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
That's a pretty vague statement. How is it that H&R springs make your car's handling worse?
Vague? It doesn't get anymore blatant then what I said.
Shorter, stiffer springs on OE shocks made both my e90m3 and my e70x5 handle worse. It looked better, but handling was defintely worse.... proven by lap times driving both an OE and an H&R'd e90m3.

I'm willing to put money on that the F10M5 would be faster around any road course with OE suspension vs. one with H&R springs.

Why would you buy a precision engineered machine for $60k or $100k and expect a $200 dollar spring set to make it handle better then $20 million dollars worth of R&D?

Take those things off and install a KWV3 set on your car....you will never go back to springs again after having a proper coilover set.

Shorter, stiffer springs are for looks.....just like slamming your car so it looks good is for looks at the compromise of handling.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:52 PM   #8
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

H&R is not exactly a brand new company out of Taiwan. They spend a ton of money on R&D to make sure every product they develop improves the handling of the car. Did you forget about lower center of gravity to weight ratio?
A simple formula will prove your statement to be off. CP M5's use the almost the same spring ratios that H&R offers along with being 10mm lower.
No point of hating on a product without really knowing.

I know what you mean about KW's or Ohlins, but can't discount a simple good spring developed by a good company.
I use Bilstein PSS10's along with H&R sway bars, stiffer bushings all the way around on my E46 and yes its handling is night and day, but OEM shocks on a E46 do not compare to OEM shocks on a f10 m5.
      01-08-2014, 12:28 AM   #9
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
H&R is not exactly a brand new company out of Taiwan. They spend a ton of money on R&D to make sure every product they develop improves the handling of the car. Did you forget about lower center of gravity to weight ratio?
A simple formula will prove your statement to be off. CP M5's use the almost the same spring ratios that H&R offers along with being 10mm lower.
No point of hating on a product without really knowing.

I know what you mean about KW's or Ohlins, but can't discount a simple good spring developed by a good company.
I use Bilstein PSS10's along with H&R sway bars, stiffer bushings all the way around on my E46 and yes its handling is night and day, but OEM shocks on a E46 do not compare to OEM shocks on a f10 m5.
Drive my KWV3 F10M5 and you will buy Alex's dirt cheap setup right after.
Springs are horrible. Your wasting your life on sub par ride and handling in a $100k masterpiece of a car.

Last edited by mastek; 01-08-2014 at 12:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 03:09 PM   #10
kevin @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xballashakalax View Post
Looking for a Realiable shop to install my springs. Any suggestions and price range?
We are located in Anaheim, CA and can install for your springs for you!

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #11
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Again, I have these springs on my car and totally disagree with the above statements that they are not any good. I wouldn't have put these springs on my car if I didn't believe in them and after over 14k miles on them, they still drive and handle like I want them to. I don't have to put 3k worth spring/shock kit to make it like I want it. But there is a product for everyone out there. To each their own. Seems you had a problem with a different car, not with the m5.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 10:35 PM   #12
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Again, I have these springs on my car and totally disagree with the above statements that they are not any good. I wouldn't have put these springs on my car if I didn't believe in them and after over 14k miles on them, they still drive and handle like I want them to. I don't have to put 3k worth spring/shock kit to make it like I want it. But there is a product for everyone out there. To each their own. Seems you had a problem with a different car, not with the m5.
It's simple.
You don't know any better.
If you drove a KWV3 F10M5 for a few days ... you would kick yourself in the ass how you wasted 14k miles on a sub-par $200 spring'd ride.
But like you said.... to each his own. And I say, sometimes...ignorance is bliss. As long as your happy.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 11:33 PM   #13
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Had v3's on my car. For the weight that the car has it really doesnt provide with any handling benefits over H&R's. Not to say KW is not a good company, but H&R has done a lot more in the autosport department than KW. Not sure how old you are, but I grew up around rally cars in the 80's and early 90's and H&R proved themselves over and over since 70's not only in the Rally industry, but DTM cars as well. Ignorance is bliss.....amen to that.
      01-09-2014, 01:24 AM   #14
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Had v3's on my car. For the weight that the car has it really doesnt provide with any handling benefits over H&R's. Not to say KW is not a good company, but H&R has done a lot more in the autosport department than KW. Not sure how old you are, but I grew up around rally cars in the 80's and early 90's and H&R proved themselves over and over since 70's not only in the Rally industry, but DTM cars as well. Ignorance is bliss.....amen to that.
Are you saying you took KWV3's off your F10M5 and went to H&R springs and deem them better ride/handling?
Or did you mean your e60m5?

If so, how long did you have them on for?
What was the ride height? What were the alignment specs? And the corner balance?

That's just unbelievable!!

As far as H&R vs. KW... do you recall the H&R Coilover fiasco for the e46m3?
Currently H&R is a decent spring manufacturer and that's still under Eibach and Swift who make springs for more championship winning cars then H&R.
KW produces shocks and have more wins on the Nurburgring then any other shock made. They also have a 7-post dyno that H&R from time to time "borrows" to backup their data.
The 80's and 90's are gone. What's happening around the world of motorsport suspensions today = Ohlins, Sachs Motorsport, KW.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 02:44 AM   #15
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
It's simple.
You don't know any better.
If you drove a KWV3 F10M5 for a few days ... you would kick yourself in the ass how you wasted 14k miles on a sub-par $200 spring'd ride.
But like you said.... to each his own. And I say, sometimes...ignorance is bliss. As long as your happy.
Ignorance is bliss for you to come on here and make blanket statements about springs on a m5 with with out personal proof of their handling abilities in a m5. So yes it is simple that its you who don't know any better. Well guys its done. Only one guy here is the spring genius.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 03:48 AM   #16
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss for you to come on here and make blanket statements about springs on a m5 with with out personal proof of their handling abilities in a m5. So yes it is simple that its you who don't know any better. Well guys its done. Only one guy here is the spring genius.
Its just a fact of life that your OE shocks + Shorter, Stiffer springs (aka "cut springs") is:
a) a ghetto way to lower the car
b) makes the handling worse
c) makes the suspension comply worse
d) wears the OE shocks out faster
e) $200 springs will never be better then a properly setup coilover kit from a top brand manufacturer.
Coilover kits will always be better then cut springs....in every way....no matter how much insult you throw out or how much you over-react or how butt hurt you get. Sorry.
And "come on here" ?? ...girl, I've been on here for 6 years.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 05:11 AM   #17
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Whatever rant on. Nobody said in here they were better. We said they weren't junk. It is you who is throwing stones not us. Not butt hurt here son. If I wanted a set of kw I would simply buy them. It's only a drop in the bucket for me. Op get what you want for your car. There are many of us here who've not had any problems and I'm quite sure you'll be happy with what ever you decide. I'm done w this.

Last edited by boots; 01-09-2014 at 05:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 07:11 AM   #18
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Whatever rant on. Nobody said in here they were better. We said they weren't junk. It is you who is throwing stones not us. Not butt hurt here son. If I wanted a set of kw I would simply buy them. It's only a drop in the bucket for me. Op get what you want for your car. There are many of us here who've not had any problems and I'm quite sure you'll be happy with what ever you decide. I'm done w this.
Who said "junk"?
Read the posts...I said cut springs will make the car handle worse then OE.
I said KW Coilovers are better for this car then cut springs.
I'm glad u spent $200 bucks to ruin the handling on a $100k car yet you brag about how its a drop in the bucket for you. That sounds about right.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #19
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

We all know that coils are better than springs but WE also know that the M5 is not a track and car and for most- H&R springs (with all their RandD and history) is a reasonable way to go for those who want form and some function.

Who cares anyways, its a 100k sedan that weighs over 4k lbs. Seems like a lot of overcooking here. I had H&R springs on my M5 and had no issues in higher speed turns and sharp curves vs the OE plus I got a lower but not super low stance. Maybe some want to keep their EDC? Didnt one think about that? Not everyone wants to tear out their entire OEM suspension system on this car.

Maybe before one spouts out with information you should check the spring rates on the H&R springs vs the OE. My ride actually felt better over minor bumps and undulations with the progressive springs.

Obviously KW is better but its all relative to ones wants and needs are with their car. For the masses H&R has been the choice.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 02:14 PM   #20
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Well said my brother. ^
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #21
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
We all know that coils are better than springs but WE also know that the M5 is not a track and car and for most- H&R springs (with all their RandD and history) is a reasonable way to go for those who want form and some function.

Who cares anyways, its a 100k sedan that weighs over 4k lbs. Seems like a lot of overcooking here. I had H&R springs on my M5 and had no issues in higher speed turns and sharp curves vs the OE plus I got a lower but not super low stance. Maybe some want to keep their EDC? Didnt one think about that? Not everyone wants to tear out their entire OEM suspension system on this car.

Maybe before one spouts out with information you should check the spring rates on the H&R springs vs the OE. My ride actually felt better over minor bumps and undulations with the progressive springs.

Obviously KW is better but its all relative to ones wants and needs are with their car. For the masses H&R has been the choice.
What R&D?
You put a lot of stock in a spring company selling you $200 "performance" springs.
Springs are only "part" of a suspension system.
BMW spends millions of dollars developing and testing chassis to spring to shocks.
Your favorite spring company takes 3 days to rotate the numbers and pushes out the same product they've been recycling to the masses for years.
Your H&R springs have no real-world R&D time...thats a fantasy to justify buying a cheap mod for a car so it looks cool ...and to the undoing of millions of dollars of real R&D by a world class car manufacturer.

Whatever you "feel" after your purchase is irrelevant. The logical math concludes that an F10M5 out of the box will handle turns and road variables better then an F10M5 with a $200 spring set added after the fact.
If these H&R springs are worth the upgrade you swear by...there would be Nurburgring lap times posted by H&R, no?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 04:57 PM   #22
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
What R&D?
You put a lot of stock in a spring company selling you $200 "performance" springs.
Springs are only "part" of a suspension system.
BMW spends millions of dollars developing and testing chassis to spring to shocks.
Your favorite spring company takes 3 days to rotate the numbers and pushes out the same product they've been recycling to the masses for years.
Your H&R springs have no real-world R&D time...thats a fantasy to justify buying a cheap mod for a car so it looks cool ...and to the undoing of millions of dollars of real R&D by a world class car manufacturer.

Whatever you "feel" after your purchase is irrelevant. The logical math concludes that an F10M5 out of the box will handle turns and road variables better then an F10M5 with a $200 spring set added after the fact.
If these H&R springs are worth the upgrade you swear by...there would be Nurburgring lap times posted by H&R, no?

Are you ok sir? You seem to be quite hostile with your internet keyboard rebuttals. Do you know me or my experience with cars? I respect your thoughts and opinions but you cant tell me how I feel about my tangible experience no more than you can tell any other member.

Like I said before the springs worked for many here. We all know where your opinion lies.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0