Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-29-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

Must be something wrong with me...

Dropped my M5 off at the dealer for maintenance (rear diff fluid, clutch adaptation) and my loaner was a 2015 320i with less than 1300 miles on it.

My first thought was "ho hum" got a boring car again.

To my surprise when I started wringing it out it was very 'peppy' and controllable. Don't get me wrong, it is a stripped down loaner car and there is no comparison on the level of luxury between it and the M5. However, I am back at the house and have part of the day off so (again crazy talk here) I'm going to correct the under-inflated tires then take it out for some back roads spirited driving just to see how much fun there really is to be had.

Really makes me pine for a lighter, smaller car than the M5.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 01:40 PM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntomferg View Post
Dropped my M5 off at the dealer for maintenance (rear diff fluid, clutch adaptation) and my loaner was a 2015 320i with less than 1300 miles on it.

To my surprise when I started wringing it out it was very 'peppy' and controllable. Don't get me wrong, it is a stripped down loaner car and there is no comparison on the level of luxury between it and the M5. However, I am back at the house and have part of the day off so (again crazy talk here) I'm going to correct the under-inflated tires then take it out for some back roads spirited driving just to see how much fun there really is to be had.

I had the same feeling when I got into a 328d loaner car a while back when I had the dealer replace a bent control arm. When I got back in the M5, I felt blown away by how much more refined the car felt, and the power, and the sound! The electric steering versus hydraulic steering in the M5 alone will make you realize the 3 series "feels" more nimble but pales in comparison. I had the same feeling when I drive almost any other BMW. I haven't driven the i3 or i8 yet though, so I can't speak to those.

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 02:13 PM   #3
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Today's 3,4 series are really good and fast car in their class. Believe me or not, whenever I need loaner car, I prefer to have 3,4 series (328,428) instead of 528. I even prefer them to X1/X3 ... Oh they have Launch Control too lol
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 07:57 PM   #4
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I had the same feeling when I got into a 328d loaner car a while back when I had the dealer replace a bent control arm. When I got back in the M5, I felt blown away by how much more refined the car felt, and the power, and the sound! The electric steering versus hydraulic steering in the M5 alone will make you realize the 3 series "feels" more nimble but pales in comparison. I had the same feeling when I drive almost any other BMW. I haven't driven the i3 or i8 yet though, so I can't speak to those.
Yes - I put about 60 miles on it playing. Experimented with traction control off and other things. The comment that I made to my wife was "it has been a long time since I have been in a car where I could blindly floor from zero or near zero and not feel the need to catch the car from shooting off the road from the power!" [Recall she has the F-type v8S vert. She laughed and knew exactly what I meant. Glad I have the M5 but agree totally that the 3 is a fun little car.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2015, 09:30 PM   #5
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

Well, my wife has a 435iM Sport and I actually kinda dread driving that car around. The run-flat tires are especially weird and the dang thing rolls down hills and picks up speed so much ya have ta brake. There is no engine braking at all. Just left an M6 V-10 for the F-10M5 and the whole bit is so much more soothing when I climb back in mine. Trust me, you would not want that on a daily basis with the electric steering... its a mirage regarding the nimbleness by the way.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 03:34 AM   #6
omega3effect
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbimmer View Post
Well, my wife has a 435iM Sport and I actually kinda dread driving that car around. The run-flat tires are especially weird and the dang thing rolls down hills and picks up speed so much ya have ta brake. There is no engine braking at all. Just left an M6 V-10 for the F-10M5 and the whole bit is so much more soothing when I climb back in mine. Trust me, you would not want that on a daily basis with the electric steering... its a mirage regarding the nimbleness by the way.
Wondering if you thought of going for the new m6? Or m6 gc? And if so, why you ended up a the m5? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 09:32 AM   #7
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes - I put about 60 miles on it playing. Experimented with traction control off and other things. The comment that I made to my wife was "it has been a long time since I have been in a car where I could blindly floor from zero or near zero and not feel the need to catch the car from shooting off the road from the power!" [Recall she has the F-type v8S vert. She laughed and knew exactly what I meant. Glad I have the M5 but agree totally that the 3 is a fun little car.
To me that's really the main benefit of a regular BMW over an M, especially a modified M making prodigious power, is that you can floor the throttle and not have worry about the law or immediately going to the brake because you are already at 100mph. I daily drive my M5 and every day I'm always in D1 mode and just feathering the throttle. Even this morning I was barely using any throttle and the car was already at 40mph. I am planning on either trading the M5 for something more exotic next year or buying another car to compliment the M5. I'm thinking an i3 would be great for daily driving, I actually like those cars. But I also want to go back to a V10 engine or something with a 6MT. We shall see.

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 09:36 AM   #8
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep

Dave, between the wife and I we already have 3 vehicles. It's hard for us to keep up with more that from a time/maintenance/drive-time perspective. I'm pretty sure I would have to drop a car if I got something else.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 09:48 AM   #9
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Dave, between the wife and I we already have 3 vehicles. It's hard for us to keep up with more that from a time/maintenance/drive-time perspective. I'm pretty sure I would have to drop a car if I got something else.
That's cool. 3 is more than enough. The M5 being one of them is already 3 cars in one. Lol!

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #10
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:

I completely understand what you are saying and I felt the same way when I was able to borrow an M5 for a couple of days and really live with it. The M4 that resides in my garage is the result of me realizing that a smaller, lighter M hit the spot better than the big and heavy M. I also had an x5M for a couple of years and, although it is very different from the M5, it left me with the similar feeling that you have after I would drive it. I could not wait to get back into my M3. Perhaps you should consider the M3 next time. It does not have the presence or the luxury of the M5, but it is way more fun to drive and I just love mine.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #11
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
I completely understand what you are saying and I felt the same way when I was able to borrow an M5 for a couple of days and really live with it. The M4 that resides in my garage is the result of me realizing that a smaller, lighter M hit the spot better than the big and heavy M. I also had an x5M for a couple of years and, although it is very different from the M5, it left me with the similar feeling that you have after I would drive it. I could not wait to get back into my M3. Perhaps you should consider the M3 next time. It does not have the presence or the luxury of the M5, but it is way more fun to drive and I just love mine.
I hear you Alpine. I'm going to put some new shoes on the M5 and if it still isn't doing it for me (I may just be tainted/spoiled) I will probably start the replacement research.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 11:09 AM   #12
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I hear you Alpine. I'm going to put some new shoes on the M5 and if it still isn't doing it for me (I may just be tainted/spoiled) I will probably start the replacement research.
Quick question. Did you ever upgrade to a stiffer set of Sway Bars on your M5? Something like the Comp Pack Sway Bars or the Dinan Sway Bars? After I installed the Comp Pack Sway Bars and some Eibach Lowering Springs, it was a night and day difference in handling. It really made me fall in love the M5 all over again. There is zero understeer and dare I say even some oversteer now. The handling is almost Porsche like on this 4,400 super sedan. If you are shopping for just shoes, simply installing some Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's will also result in a night and day different in handling and performance. Even Randy Pobst has stated those tires yield a 1 second decrease in time for every 1 mile driven. My personal feeling is that unless you are on a race track, a lighter car is like a placebo effect. You give up a lot of things to have a lighter car for just street use, the F80 M3 doesn't even have adjustable thigh support or adjustable headrests for both the front and back seats for example.

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 10:54 PM   #13
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega3effect View Post
Wondering if you thought of going for the new m6? Or m6 gc? And if so, why you ended up a the m5? Thanks!
Hi;
No problem...I was just leaving the V10 M6 and was looking for some more interior space. I've three grandchildren who had lost their father and between the M6 and 435-we had to take 2 cars when going somewhere. I did drive the new M6 GC and M6 but it came down to being able to put 2 kids in cars seats and one in the middle-oldest is in 5th grade with the youngest in kindergarten.

Kinda gave up my preferences for a bigger car but happy with the choice. Space Gray with Competition Pack, All Carbon Fiber from the mirrors to the tailpipes, etc. I cant complain! Gonna get a tune next.
Bill
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 11:42 PM   #14
omega3effect
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 SG

Thanks for your thoughts! Me too, the m5 is just so practical -- the gc is pretty but longer with less cargo and seating... The m6 back seats are really not useful.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 02:46 AM   #15
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Quick question. Did you ever upgrade to a stiffer set of Sway Bars on your M5? Something like the Comp Pack Sway Bars or the Dinan Sway Bars?
I'll give it a thought Dave. A Dinan sway bar might need to be an early Christmas present. If any vendors are reading that want to contact me with a deal on one via PM - this could be your chance to make a sell.

Last edited by johntomferg; 10-31-2015 at 03:01 AM..
Appreciate 0