02-26-2013, 05:08 AM   #1
polly
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 m3

Question valve in outer exhaust pipe

hi guys

i saw the valve on the two outer pipes while washing the car this weekend.
just curious to know whats its purpose, and when does it open?

does it make the exhaust louder when it opens?

thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 05:14 AM   #2
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

As far as I know the closed valves open up as soon as the engine warms up as it's supposed to reduce cold start emissions. I have my valves on always-open state.

Last edited by singularity; 02-26-2013 at 06:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
polly
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 m3

How do u do that and what difference does it make
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

The valve is for noise "emission" control during cold start. It's operated via a vacuum valve.
You can "plug" the vacuum line so the valve will stay open all the time (just unplugging the line will NOT be a good idea as you'll have reduced power, it must be "terminated" with a plug/golf tee)
Depending on your build the valve itself may need to be locked in the open position using some wire (similar to the electrical operated valve on the F3x platform)
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh
The valve is for noise "emission" control during cold start. It's operated via a vacuum valve.
You can "plug" the vacuum line so the valve will stay open all the time (just unplugging the line will NOT be a good idea as you'll have reduced power, it must be "terminated" with a plug/golf tee)
Depending on your build the valve itself may need to be locked in the open position using some wire (similar to the electrical operated valve on the F3x platform)
Permanently opening those valves produces a consistently nice note. Not too loud and not too tame. I am installing BMW Performance Exhaust tomorrow with no valves and 65mm inner pipe as opposed to the 45mm stock. Coupled with the performance down pipes she should sound awesome! EDIT: my use of the term "BMW PERFORMANCE" is incorrect. They are modified BMW parts. They are the basis for the mods and are not sold by BMW or sold as BMW parts. The OEM headers are modified to delete the second cat and replace the 600 cell primary with a 400 cell. The exhaust is a modified OEM as well. Again, NOT meant to be misrepresented.

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic

Last edited by ColdList; 02-27-2013 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
jmh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Permanently opening those valves produces a consistently nice note. Not too loud and not too tame. I am installing BMW Performance Exhaust tomorrow with no valves and 85mm inner pipe as opposed to the 65mm stock. Coupled with the BMW performance down pipes she should sound awesome!
So who makes the BMW Performance exhaust ?
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

BMW Performance down pipes and exhaust?????? Do tell Coldlist..

And didnt you just install an eisenmann?
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Quote:
Permanently opening those valves produces a consistently nice note. Not too loud and not too tame. I am installing BMW Performance Exhaust tomorrow with no valves and 85mm inner pipe as opposed to the 65mm stock. Coupled with the BMW performance down pipes she should sound awesome!
Where are you seeing this information? The BMW website is like a 90s website. Limited info and hard to find... :/
      02-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

Quote:
where do i get this stuff?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Ha ha ha ha! Nobody ever believes this stuff. I've had MANY PEOPLE question my tune, my ability to get modified performance products, etc. Some publicly questioned my integrity. So to add validity to this I will post some pictures shortly (awaiting permission from my supplier). Honestly, I am sort of "over" discussing these things publicly and then being smacked in the face. If you're interested in obtaining these items, simply PM me. I am VERY HAPPY to help anyone truly interested.

Last edited by ColdList; 02-27-2013 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poleposition
BMW Performance down pipes and exhaust?????? Do tell Coldlist..

And didnt you just install an eisenmann?
Yes I did AND I then had IND send me a new custom set. In the meantime these items became available to me. I will be selling the custom set without ever installing it. It is an Eisenmann Race with 9mm round tips. Cans powder coated matte black and tips gloss black with Silverstone "M" logo. PM me an offer if interested.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
nv6425
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 Dark Shadow

Does anyone have any picture of the valves and how to plug them?
      02-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv6425 View Post
Does anyone have any picture of the valves and how to plug them?
You don't plug the valves, you wire them open. You plug the vacuum lines. I learned this one the hard way :-) Be SURE that you plug them with caps or something that inserts tightly into the lines and then use RTV adhesive. Actually, it is a good idea to coat the plugs or caps with RTV before using them and then add a layer of RTV over the joint between them and the vacuum line. You want too be certain that you have a complete seal, otherwise your car will behave as if its a non turbo-very big loss of power. Don't want to scare you. Very easy to do. I just had a mechanic blow it on the plugging and I thought my car was really messed up by the exhaust when it in fact was the improperly plugged lines. You can literally "wire" the valves open with aluminum wire.

Last edited by ColdList; 02-26-2013 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #14
MCM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MCB F10 M5

just want to make sure. pls correct me if im wrong : other than exhaust note change, there will be no power gain or loss (if done correctly).
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #15
jmh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCM5 View Post
just want to make sure. pls correct me if im wrong : other than exhaust note change, there will be no power gain or loss (if done correctly).
Correct. Leaving the valves open all the time will just change the sound profile.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #16
M3takesNYC
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

If you are so sick of explaining this why do you bring it up in the thread when its a thread about valves? Bring it up, people question and than your sick of explaining. Probably fake parts as there is no bmw performance downpipe for the M5. Looks like your being taken by a sneaky supplier

Quote:
Ha ha ha ha! Nobody ever believes this stuff. I've had MANY PEOPLE question my tune, my ability to get BMW performance products, etc. Some publicly questioned my integrity. So to add validity to this I will post some pictures shortly (awaiting permission from my supplier). Honestly, I am sort of "over" discussing these things publicly and then being smacked in the face. If you're interested in obtaining these items, simply PM me. I am VERY HAPPY to help anyone truly interested.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 12:37 AM   #17
jmh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3takesNYC View Post
If you are so sick of explaining this why do you bring it up in the thread when its a thread about valves? Bring it up, people question and than your sick of explaining. Probably fake parts as there is no bmw performance downpipe for the M5. Looks like your being taken by a sneaky supplier
Until he gets "confirmation from his 'supplier'" maybe the following pictures might help, they are from a public website hence may not be so secret after all.

These are the Noelle parts (downpipes and rear muffler without exhaust valve, part of their program for the S63TU at
http://www.noellemotors.de/en/produc...e-s63-tue.html

I might be wrong but his "secret" supplier seems to be Ron Trochelmann from Performance Imports (http://www.performingimports.com/) in GA who happens to know Karl-Otto Noelle who was the former head of engine development at Alpina before opening his own place (MST Noelle).

Rear muffler section without exhaust valve

Downpipes

Last edited by jmh; 02-27-2013 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #18
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep

Jmh, I am aware of these people and companies as well. Most likely, they are very good products but also most certainly not BMW products. I believe Coldlist to be an enthusiastic buyer simply being very gullible. No malice here in my opinion. He's just not checking what these people are telling him and taking it as fact and disseminating it throughout the board as fact. We know better. I'm sure they are nice products but certainly not having anything to do with BMW. The people behind them have had personal and business relationships with BMW but if they are truly representing these products as official BMW, that won't last very long as misrepresentation and copyright infringement is a serious violation. BMW will protect themselves as far as the law will allow. Until we see pics of the products with BMW part numbers and the products are offered elsewhere, I'll stick with my statements.
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #19
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
Quote:
You don't plug the valves, you wire them open. You plug the vacuum lines. I learned this one the hard way :-) Be SURE that you plug them with caps or something that inserts tightly into the lines and then use RTV adhesive. Actually, it is a good idea to coat the plugs or caps with RTV before using them and then add a layer of RTV over the joint between them and the vacuum line. You want too be certain that you have a complete seal, otherwise your car will behave as if its a non turbo-very big loss of power. Don't want to scare you. Very easy to do. I just had a mechanic blow it on the plugging and I thought my car was really messed up by the exhaust when it in fact was the improperly plugged lines. You can literally "wire" the valves open with aluminum wire.
To keep this thread on topic, I'll bring us back to the dicussion of the exhaust valves. Maybe I'm being thick here, and I'll admit I have not have a chance yet to inspect the valves myself, but I'd like to better understand the process of permanently locking the valves open as a way to enhance the sound a bit.

First, it seems from jmh and ColdList's comments you have to do two things to achieve this - disconnect and plug the vacuum line and then wire the valves open. Correct? I would just like to clarify that just wiring the valves open will not work.

Second, I would assume it's fairly straight forward to disconnect the vacuum line at the valve on the muffler, with the important part of the modification being a 100% tight seal on the vacuum line plug.

Lastly, from the comments above I also assume the valves can be wired open with the exhaust on the car.

Thanks in advance to those members knowledgable about this topic for your assistance!
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #20
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poleposition
Jmh, I am aware of these people and companies as well. Most likely, they are very good products but also most certainly not BMW products. I believe Coldlist to be an enthusiastic buyer simply being very gullible. No malice here in my opinion. He's just not checking what these people are telling him and taking it as fact and disseminating it throughout the board as fact. We know better. I'm sure they are nice products but certainly not having anything to do with BMW. The people behind them have had personal and business relationships with BMW but if they are truly representing these products as official BMW, that won't last very long as misrepresentation and copyright infringement is a serious violation. BMW will protect themselves as far as the law will allow. Until we see pics of the products with BMW part numbers and the products are offered elsewhere, I'll stick with my statements.
Thank you. There is no malice meant at all. And this was never a secret. I just was being respectful and asking the supplier if it was ok that I advertised his modified parts before doing so. I am not being gullible, I should not have said "BMW Performance". I did not mean any reference to the "BMW Performance" line of products. They are not sold to me as such and are not factory parts. Simply a term that I used to mean that they are not typical aftermarket cheap stuff. They are MODIFIED parts. We take them off the car and modify as if you were to take your cats on your E60 and modify them, just as many of us did in the past. In other words, like many companies, such as Alpina and Hartge, factory parts are used as the BASIS for modifications. This does not make them FACTORY parts. Again, my bad on terminology. I still however would most definitely use a part derived from the factory installation than an individual aftermarket fabrication. I need to correct that it is a 400 cell primary cat and no secondary cat I the DP.

Thank you for understanding that I honestly am just trying to share good information that other people might like. I really tried to be a helpful fellow board member. I understand that this apparently pisses certain people off and will no longer do so. In the end I am thrilled to have this stuff available to me and others.

Cheers.

Last edited by ColdList; 02-27-2013 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #21
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep

All good Coldlist... Cant wait to see these parts on your car and hear your reviews.
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #22
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Sounds like we need a DIY sticky of how to wire the valve open as they have on the N54 forums.

Coldlist, you seem to get quite a bit of anxiety coming to this forum lol. Was it you that people questioned the car collection? Man, this should be a place you come to, to escape your troubles, not find more!
Thanks for clarifying! We aren't out to get you! We are just information hungry car guys!