Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-30-2020, 04:40 AM   #1
umz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

Carbon Parts

I was just browsing for a CF front lip and rear diffuser and I come across Ali Baba/Ali express. Pictures look good and so do some of the prices, even with shipping to the UK they still work out to be pretty good prices. I got a quote for both CF Front Lip (3d design) and CF Rear Diffuser and delivery for £546.

Now does anyone have any experience with these guys, is it worth buying from them or too risky (issues with fitment or defects for refunds etc.)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 04:54 AM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by umz View Post
I was just browsing for a CF front lip and rear diffuser and I come across Ali Baba/Ali express. Pictures look good and so do some of the prices, even with shipping to the UK they still work out to be pretty good prices. I got a quote for both CF Front Lip (3d design) and CF Rear Diffuser and delivery for £546.

Now does anyone have any experience with these guys, is it worth buying from them or too risky (issues with fitment or defects for refunds etc.)
Ali Baba? Keep in mind that import tax or 'duty' as they like to call it from good 'ol hrmc will add a sizeable amount to the price afterwards and as its two wings it'll be double bubble for them to fill their cake holes.
Wings are one of their favourite targets,I personally would try to get them in UK or even s/hand in good condition.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 05:05 AM   #3
umz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Ali Baba? Keep in mind that import tax or 'duty' as they like to call it from good 'ol hrmc will add a sizeable amount to the price afterwards and as its two wings it'll be double bubble for them to fill their cake holes.
Wings are one of their favourite targets,I personally would try to get them in UK or even s/hand in good condition.
Oh yes, the "Tax", crossed my mind that...I was just looking to save a few £££, but you have a valid point. Ill avoid then lol
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:50 PM   #4
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Oh yes, the "Tax", crossed my mind that...I was just looking to save a few £££, but you have a valid point. Ill avoid then lol
I purchased a carbon lip spoiler from JBSPEED. I had to pay £21 tax to parcelforce before they delivered it. I wasn't upset by this as I expected a charge of some sort.

I can definitely recommend JBSPEED as the quality is excellent, at least on the part I got.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 01:25 PM   #5
umz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
Quote:
I purchased a carbon lip spoiler from JBSPEED. I had to pay £21 tax to parcelforce before they delivered it. I wasn't upset by this as I expected a charge of some sort.

I can definitely recommend JBSPEED as the quality is excellent, at least on the part I got.
I dont mind the import tax, question is how much on big parts, it could possibly lead to same prices in the UK. Im better off then purchasing from the UK.

Ive already got a spoiler, dont even know about fitting or anything yet, waiting for the time to fit.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 06:31 AM   #6
annag2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze

I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy. I think it may be help all of you. Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty blog with me. I am appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great blog. Good luck to the author! all the best!
      02-02-2020, 02:46 PM   #7
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, M5's, 535.335, M550i

Garage List
I have the alibaba app on my phone, a lot of eBay sellers import from them. I have a 0-2 run for diffusers fitting after they confirmed fitment. Just be careful and most likely you can find part on eBay that is from alibaba (sp) but will have a return policy if you run into issues
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, filters, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
2024 i5 M60 Cape York Green
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 02:50 PM   #8
umz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyDaddy View Post
I have the alibaba app on my phone, a lot of eBay sellers import from them. I have a 0-2 run for diffusers fitting after they confirmed fitment. Just be careful and most likely you can find part on eBay that is from alibaba (sp) but will have a return policy if you run into issues
Agreed. Feel more comfortable purchasing from eBay as you've said, there is a return policy, so you know you have protection if required.

Still out in the hunt for parts.

Installed my rear spoiler today.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
AddyDaddy540.00
94jedi830.00
      02-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #9
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, M5's, 535.335, M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Agreed. Feel more comfortable purchasing from eBay as you've said, there is a return policy, so you know you have protection if required.

Wow that looks perfect! Been toying with idea of getting high kick spoiler but just always nervous about the thing staying on and my ability to actually put it on straight
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, filters, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
2024 i5 M60 Cape York Green
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 02:57 PM   #10
umz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wow that looks perfect! Been toying with idea of getting high kick spoiler but just always nervous about the thing staying on and my ability to actually put it on straight
Tbh there are some slight gaps here n there but not really noticeable unless really close and looking for them. So pretty pleased with it.

I watched a lot of youtube vids and just gave it a shot. Taped up the corners and folded over method. Worked a treat. The hardest thing about installation is the removal of the residue from the old spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 03:39 PM   #11
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Get the JBSPEED high kick spoiler. Fits absolutely perfect and is stuck on solid.
Appreciate 2
AddyDaddy540.00
94jedi830.00
      02-04-2020, 02:59 AM   #12
Gel2al2d
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Toyota MR2, '14 BMW M5

+1 on the high kick spoiler from JBspeed. My car is actually the one pictured on their site
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 03:32 AM   #13
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Tbh there are some slight gaps here n there but not really noticeable unless really close and looking for them. So pretty pleased with it.

I watched a lot of youtube vids and just gave it a shot. Taped up the corners and folded over method. Worked a treat. The hardest thing about installation is the removal of the residue from the old spoiler.
I finished off my rear spoiler with a micro thin bead of black silicone, you cannot see it at all but it does mean that no water will run under the spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 03:40 AM   #14
umz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Quote:

I finished off my rear spoiler with a micro thin bead of black silicone, you cannot see it at all but it does mean that no water will run under the spoiler.
Thats a good shout! Thank you.

You cant actually see the gaps as its black on black which helps. The more that gets it in, the spoiler will surely off one day right?

can you send me a link for the silicone please?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 04:25 AM   #15
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thats a good shout! Thank you.

You cant actually see the gaps as its black on black which helps. The more that gets it in, the spoiler will surely off one day right?

can you send me a link for the silicone please?
I just used regular sanitary silicone,

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsen...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 04:38 AM   #16
umz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
I just used regular sanitary silicone,

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsen...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Awesome, thank for that.

I need to analyse the spoiler now and look properly for the gaps, there are really small ones on the back side near the lower boot lid side (if that makes sense)

Im very anal and OCD when it comes to these things, so i ensured that it sat properly corner to corner. Silicone is a great idea, as i dont want this thing coming off whilst im driving or loosen up due to water getting under.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 05:14 AM   #17
M5Rick
General
Rep

On my previous C200 Sport I fitted the boot spoiler with the 3M d/sided tape all round with a half inch gap at the bottom in the middle so the hollow inside could have some ventilation from condensation.I also had a rear window spoiler on it which the car needed from it's staid looks.
What's your opinion on having an upper rear window spoiler on the M,would be a good idea or would it look too aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 05:18 AM   #18
umz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
On my previous C200 Sport I fitted the boot spoiler with the 3M d/sided tape all round with a half inch gap at the bottom in the middle so the hollow inside could have some ventilation from condensation.I also had a rear window spoiler on it which it needed from it's staid looks.
What's your opinion on having an upper rear window spoiler on the M,would be a good idea or would it look too aggressive.
The gap i have at the bottom is defo smaller than that.

In terms of roof spoiler, im not sure tbh, i have had a look at a few but i think i need to see more in person to make my mind up on if i like them or not...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 05:39 AM   #19
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
The gap i have at the bottom is defo smaller than that.

In terms of roof spoiler, im not sure tbh, i have had a look at a few but i think i need to see more in person to make my mind up on if i like them or not...
Last I looked,poster SapphireM5 had one on his M which looks good but haven't seen any other cars with them fitted.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 06:34 AM   #20
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Last I looked,poster SapphireM5 had one on his M which looks good but haven't seen any other cars with them fitted.
I generally only fit OEM parts so wouldn't stick anything non OEM on the car
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 07:17 AM   #21
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I think the issue with water getting under the spoiler may not be as bad as you think. The 3m tape is made to be weather resistant.

You could end up with a problem if enough water was sat underneath and it froze. This could potentially lift the spoiler from the body but again i could just be over thinking it.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 07:30 AM   #22
umz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
I think the issue with water getting under the spoiler may not be as bad as you think. The 3m tape is made to be weather resistant.

You could end up with a problem if enough water was sat underneath and it froze. This could potentially lift the spoiler from the body but again i could just be over thinking it.
Im a bit like you, i overthink a lot, however i did check the gaps, there are literally no gaps on corners and is sat flush on the boot lid. The gaps are finger tip size at the back bottom side on either side.

Pictured below
Attached Images

Appreciate 0