M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-31-2014, 06:36 PM   #1
Eric
Private
Rep
Drives: Numerous

M5 345 Replica wheels

I am looking for a set of winter wheels to put on my '14 535 but would like to keep them for my '16 M5 when it arrives. I've gone round and round trying to decide the best solution. I also want to run a square setup. I have found these replica wheels but the offset scares me. I would buy a complete set of 19x8.5 with offset of 20. Would this work without spacers on my 535 and future M5?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19-M5-STYLE-...221c69&vxp=mtr

The same company offers a 19x8.5 with offset of 35 but are back ordered.

Which would work best?

Thanks for any advice.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
Fantasm
Lieutenant
Algeria
Rep
Drives: SL63

Why not run spacers now for fitment that would work on an M5? Theres nothing wrong with hubcentric spacers
      10-31-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
Eric
Private
Rep

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to ascertain which offset would be most appropriate for my situation. I'm not opposed to spacers, I just want to make sure the wheels I buy would work with the M5s huge brake calipers and have the factory stance of both vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 03:00 AM   #4
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to ascertain which offset would be most appropriate for my situation. I'm not opposed to spacers, I just want to make sure the wheels I buy would work with the M5s huge brake calipers and have the factory stance of both vehicles.
AFAIK, the only 19" wheels that you could be sure fits the brake calipers on the M5 is the stock BMW ones. I am pretty sure that other members have found that aftermarket 19" wheels usually doesn't fit over the calipers...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 06:48 AM   #5
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

+1.

be careful, the aftermarket 19" with same offset does not guarantee it's the same as the oem. The inner barrel contour is the key of correct fitment.

I ordered a set of forged 19" with identical spec (offset and width) and the end result of wheel inner barrel cannot clear the huge front brake caliper (not even close and spacers do not correct the problem). Luckily, my purchase invoice has a clause which I specifically put down if the wheels don't fit, I am entitled to full refund which I got without any hassle.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
Eric
Private
Rep

Being that these are F10 M5 Style 345m replicas, I'd have to believe the barrel will fit? I think they have a few offset choices to accommodate other BMW models.

Id love to purchase a set of genuine 345s, but 1) they are very hard to come by, and 2) I want to run a square setup.

I noticed in the thread about winter wheels someone said they were going to try out replicas, and I assume these are those wheels. The OP never got back with if they fit or not. Has anyone seen or tried these rims?

Does anyone know if having the 20 offset will still work?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Being that these are F10 M5 Style 345m replicas, I'd have to believe the barrel will fit? I think they have a few offset choices to accommodate other BMW models.

Id love to purchase a set of genuine 345s, but 1) they are very hard to come by, and 2) I want to run a square setup.

I noticed in the thread about winter wheels someone said they were going to try out replicas, and I assume these are those wheels. The OP never got back with if they fit or not. Has anyone seen or tried these rims?

Does anyone know if having the 20 offset will still work?
I ran the standard 19" tyre sizes in Pirelli Sottozero IIs on my OEM 345 wheels and they worked great in 4-6" of snow.

Beware of 'Replicas' of any sort.

Bish
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #8
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Why the heck would you even consider putting replicas on a 100k car?
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #9
Netwon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M5 Alpine White

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
Square setup for an M5 is as smart as Dodge putting 265's on all 4 corners of the Hellcat.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 08:14 PM   #10
Eric
Private
Rep

Unhappy

Such informative and helpful posts.

At least BMW drivers have come by their reputation honestly.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 08:57 PM   #11
Netwon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:

Listen we could go on in detail about why the M5 requires large inner barrel on their rims or why cheap aftermarket wheels at 200mph are a bad idea.

We are just letting you know lots of people have tried to find wheels that fit and have had fitment problems with companies selling 8k+ wheel and tire packages.

Sorry for not going into great detail to help you find rims for a car you may purchase 1 year from now.

Good luck with your purchase online.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #12
Eric
Private
Rep

I understand the caliper issue with the M5 and 19" rims. The rims I posted are copies of the OEM rim that is known to fit. I was asking for discussion on the offset.

It's pretty unlikely that I will be tracking my car on its WINTER set... or even care about the single digit performance increase the BMW engineers feel exists by staggering the size of the wheels. I am quite sure that a set of Hakkas or even PA4s would blow long before the rim would fail if I had the desire to test them at 200mph. Seriously.

FWIW, My comments were aimed squarely a the last two posters. I appreciate the commentary from everyone else who replied to this thread.

Bish- it sounds like we may be able to come to agreement on your OEM 345s so all this replica talk may be moot.

Last edited by Eric; 11-02-2014 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 07:02 AM   #13
05Mdriver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: TT Flat Six

Garage List
2007 Porsche Turbo  [10.00]
2008 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:

woah.
      11-03-2014, 07:31 AM   #14
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

The companies (probably Made in China) making replica 345 wheels may not have the exact built specifications to the original. That's why most of us have yet to see a 19" aftermarket wheels that will fit. We are just giving out cautions ... that's all.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #15
Netwon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
On a serious note.

When you have a car that weights as much as the F10 (any of them) add to it wheels that are made in places without BMW/TUV/DOT standards can lead to problems. The 200 mph is the extreme case but if you are driving down the highway 60-70 mph hitting a large pothole or debris is not out of the question especially in winter driving. This is not far fetched many members here swear by BMW rim and tire insurance for a reason. In Canada (I assume all BMW rim/tire insurance) will cover the OEM rims & tires + the winter rims & tires if BMW Spec for no extra charge.

Please imagine what happens after impact with the above mentioned highway obstacle.

1) Your OEM/quality after market rim maybe bend, develop a small hairline crack or simply take the hit. If you feel a wobble or TPMS light you pull over wait for tow truck and vent on the forums.(no big deal)

2) Your Chinese rim has brittle cold fracture and you have a tire/rim failure you may or whom your car hits may not walk away with their life. To me this is not worth it. If the worst that happens is your bumper/undercarriage hits the highway your are looking at a repair in the thousands of dollars quickly. Again not worth it.

In the end you will get what you pay for. If you watch the forum you'll find fellow M5 owners selling the BMW winter wheels you'd want for a good price. (currently one right below your thread)

Being that we are all "typical BMW owners" you'll come find some ribbing when you ask about Chinese Ebay rims offset without first using the forum search tool "offset". Also most BMW owners can take some level of sarcasm.

Below are two videos one from BMW one not. Same story same result. Things from China are cheap because they are cheaply made.

< BMW around 3 min mark on wheels but all is valid.

< non-BMW
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #16
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

One reason I'll never buy a replica wheel again is my experience with my S4.

I bought a winter tyre/wheel package from a very well known company. The wheels were very inexpensive as they were left overs from a previous model year and were on sale. My right front drove into a pothole that wasn't even that deep, (maybe 2-3") at a moderate speed, and the wheel buckled so badly that it couldn't be balanced correctly even after a 'repair' trying to get it back into 'round'. Never again. Only OEM or highly regarded name brands from that point in time.

Bish
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #17
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I understand the caliper issue with the M5 and 19" rims. The rims I posted are copies of the OEM rim that is known to fit. I was asking for discussion on the offset.
Being a copy of the forged OEM wheel only applies to it being a copy of the visual design. It's not a 100% copy in every aspect. The replica wheels are cast for instance, necessitating a different design with thicker material.

For instance, the Avant Garde replicas was NOT available for the M5 in 19" They only listed it as a F10 520-550 option.

BTW, I have Avant Garde wheels on my F10. Both rear wheels are out of round after 2 years of driving, resulting in vibrations at certain speeds...
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #18
Eric
Private
Rep

Thanks for the helpful info. Sorry for painting with a broad brush earlier, but the two guys calling me an idiot for considering replica wheels with no real advice to accompany really rubs me wrong. I'm here to try and learn, and being insulted by two primadonnas who ignore my original question and choose instead to snark really turns me off.

FWIW I have replica Audi wheels for my winter setup on my Q7 and couldn't be happier with their fit and finish. Not sure how they would hold up at 200 mph or if someone dropped a hydraulic press on them as demonstrated above, but for winter driving at 70 or less they are superb.

What are people's experiences with staggered tire wear? My 535 has a square setup and I've rotated on a normal schedule. Do fronts or rears wear out quicker? With an OEM set of 345s 19x9 and 19x10 would I be able to run 255/40-19 all around? Does anyone have experience doing so?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 06:37 PM   #19
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the helpful info. Sorry for painting with a broad brush earlier, but the two guys calling me an idiot for considering replica wheels with no real advice to accompany really rubs me wrong. I'm here to try and learn, and being insulted by two primadonnas who ignore my original question and choose instead to snark really turns me off.

FWIW I have replica Audi wheels for my winter setup on my Q7 and couldn't be happier with their fit and finish. Not sure how they would hold up at 200 mph or if someone dropped a hydraulic press on them as demonstrated above, but for winter driving at 70 or less they are superb.

What are people's experiences with staggered tire wear? My 535 has a square setup and I've rotated on a normal schedule. Do fronts or rears wear out quicker? With an OEM set of 345s 19x9 and 19x10 would I be able to run 255/40-19 all around? Does anyone have experience doing so?
Yo chief... Just in case you are referring to my post... First...re-read my post... Not one mention of the word 'idiot'. Second, I HIGHLY suggest you don't try to infer tone or read between the lines when it comes to written communication...it only causes more issues.
Lastly... Did you just call me a primadonna???? Interestingly enough... I AM, actually! However, you don't know me. It's not nice to name call. Maybe we could sit down in person next time I'm in Minnesota...Which should be in the early part of 2015...as I travel there for business a couple times a year. Or if you ever get to the PA/NJ area I'd love to take you out for a cup of coffee. I am sure once we have some time together, you'll realize where you made an error in judgment. In the end, we'll both be happier...and could form a lasting relationship.
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #20
Eric
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3 View Post
Yo chief... Just in case you are referring to my post... First...re-read my post... Not one mention of the word 'idiot'. Second, I HIGHLY suggest you don't try to infer tone or read between the lines when it comes to written communication...it only causes more issues.
Lastly... Did you just call me a primadonna???? Interestingly enough... I AM, actually! However, you don't know me. It's not nice to name call. Maybe we could sit down in person next time I'm in Minnesota...Which should be in the early part of 2015...as I travel there for business a couple times a year. Or if you ever get to the PA/NJ area I'd love to take you out for a cup of coffee. I am sure once we have some time together, you'll realize where you made an error in judgment. In the end, we'll both be happier...and could form a lasting relationship.
I re read your post, and it still only calls me out for "even considering a replica"... I see no advice or information that I would construe in any positive manner whatsoever.

If you truly meant something constructive then an apology is due. I'd be happy to meet for coffee any time. I, too, travel and am in PA, NJ, NY and generally every large city in the USA several times a year. Stay in touch and the coffee is on me.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #21
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I re read your post, and it still only calls me out for "even considering a replica"... I see no advice or information that I would construe in any positive manner whatsoever.

If you truly meant something constructive then an apology is due. I'd be happy to meet for coffee any time. I, too, travel and am in PA, NJ, NY and generally every large city in the USA several times a year. Stay in touch and the coffee is on me.
Here is what I wrote:
'Why the heck would you even consider putting replicas on a $100k car?'

Read just the words without adding any tone. It's a question. No more, no less.

The point of the question was to garner an answer that would then help everyone provide additional guidance.

I couldn't provide an answer as I don't have direct experience with replicas. However, I know many here do. So again, if you simply read my email for the words and no more... It was meant as a springboard to start a deeper discussion.

I'll shoot you a PM with my contact info.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #22
Netwon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
I am not referring to fit and finish. I am referring to the internal grain structure of the metal making up the rim and it ability to absorb energy in a bad situation. Clearly you have missed the point of the tests. A 5100 pound SUV or a 4000+ pound car hitting a pothole is a huge amount of force. Even at normal highway speeds.

As for wear in the M5 with a staggered setup you are going to wear out the rear tires before the fronts. A square setup with smaller rear tires in the back in winter helps you cut through the snow/slush by increasinges your PSI on your tires contact patch.

The xdrive is a nice system, the M5 even with winter tires will likey let you down as a dedicated winter vehicle.

Also it is prima donna two words

As you seem to have made up your mind on replica knock off wheels. Good luck and god bless.
Appreciate 0