M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-26-2014, 04:21 AM   #1
hcclemes
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition Pack

M5 Competition Pack

I have been reading these forums for many months now prior to ordering my M5 and have found them very helpful.
Therefore I thought it about time I signed up and posted my experiences so far along with some pictures.

I found many articles extremely helpful to me when trying to decide what exact specification to go for.
In the end I plumped for the following.

Monte Carlo Blue
Sakhir Orange Full Merino Leather
Competition Pack
Powered Bootlid
Comfort Access
Soft Close Doors
Climate Comfort Windscreen
Electric Towbar
Reversing Cameras
Matt Aluminium exterior trim
Massage Front Seats
Ski Bag
Split Folding Rear Seats
Heated Rear Seats
Anthracite Wood Trim
M Multi Function Comfort Front Seats
LED Headlamps
Surround View Cameras
Harmon Kardon Loadspeakers
Internet
Online Entertainment
Privacy Rear Glass
Speed Limit Display
5 years service inclusive

Many people I spoke to about the colour combination that I was thinking of ordering tried to talk me out of it. The general consensus was that firstly Sakhir Orange was far to over the top and to go for full coverage was just going to make the situation a whole lot worse.
Also the majority of opinion was that no way would orange leather go well with Monte Carlo Blue.
Even some of the BMW sales guys tried to dissuade me from this choice. This caused me no end of sleepless nights trying to decide what combination to go for.

Well as you can see from the pictures I stuck with my original choice and boy am I glad I did! To my eyes and everyone who has seen it so far it looks superb. All of the doubters are now in agreement too. I don't know why but I cannot get the orange leather to look the same colour in pictures as it does in the flesh; what I can say is it looks far nicer physically than in any pictures I have seen.
I changed the matt black window trim to Matt Aluminium as I wanted a better match to the gills, alloys and door handles. I know many people go the other way but I just did not want a “blacked out” car.

When I was ordering my car back in September 2013 I felt that I really had no choice about wether to order the CP or not. Firstly I thought come resale time people would really want this and possibly overlook non CP specced cars. But of more importance to me was that I felt there were a lot of small but significant detail changes that added up to a slightly more sporting experience. Of particular interest to me was the quicker steering rack, stiffer suspension and louder exhaust. When taking my test drive those were the three areas that I felt the CP changes would bring real benefit for me. The steering in the non CP car did seem slow, the ride did feel it would benefit from being a little tauter and I really did feel that the car would suit me better with a louder exhaust. I also prefer the slightly lower stance of the car and I absolutely love the CP alloys. I have read much discussion on here about the styling of these wheels and I have to say I agree with other members that they do look better in front of you as opposed to in pictures. Also whist I do like the other 20” alloys that can be ordered two things put me off doing this. Firstly there seem to be a few BMW alloys that are the same or very similar available on other BMW cars. Secondly I felt if I was going to have the CP pack then why try and hide it.
Of the other CP changes I have not yet been able to “discover” these, i.e. MDM and power and torque improvements as I have yet to have the 1200 mile service carried out. (Booked in next Friday!!).

With regard to the rest of the specification that I ordered I know I went a little over the top but I figured I will keep this car for a minimum of 4 years so I wanted to get the exact car I wanted. Oh, and I did get 16% discount too.
Collected it on December the 20th and so far I absolutely love it.

I have made two alterations to the car; I have fitted the ExhaustMeister and what I can say, for me, is that I have no need to make my cay any louder. It really does sound lovely and plenty loud enough. I do believe that this car does an incredible job of hiding any exhaust noise, regardless of exhaust fitted, and that the actual noise people outside the car hear is far greater than many drivers may realise.

Secondly I have had the entire car covered in XPel Ultimate film with the exception of rear roof from behind the sunroof and boot lid;(Should I say trunk lid).
Again I have done this as I will keep the car for awhile and I hate stone, (rock), chips.
I know you wont be able to tell the film is there from the pictures; great job.

Oil Consumption. I don't think I should say too much here about this as I know many forum members feel this topic has been done to death. However I would like to say what I have experienced with my past, large engined, twin turbo charged cars.
I always run in as best I can to exactly the manufactures recommendations. I know many people feel that a much harder break in is better and I am not qualified to disagree with this view. However what is, in my opinion, far more important, particularly so with turbo charged engines, is that the engine must be allowed to reach normal operating temperature before using the revs and torque or getting those turbos to spin under significant load. I have not read or seen much on here with regard to the temp before revs.
Whilst of course it is far too soon for me to have used much oil so far the car has done 1150 miles and the oil is still showing exactly at the same level as on the day I collected the car. I have kept below 2k revs until normal oil temp has been reached and then never gone above 5k or two thirds throttle.
It remains to be seen if I will use oil when I start to extend the car; I will update when I know. This is just my opinion and is based on previous experience.

Other points of interest:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 04:23 AM   #2
hcclemes
Rep

Other points of interest:

I love the LED headlamps. I love the feel inside the car which, for me, is greatly improved with the full leather option. Gearbox just amazes me, as does the, little, power I have been able to use. Online Entertainment option is brilliant. I love the way the tow bar hides away.

Thought long and hard about the B&O option and decided against it only because of the many complaints about rattles that I have come across on these forums. I have not heard them and I am sure they must be fantastic considering the price. All I can say is the Harmon Kardon in my car sounds great to my ears.

Most of all I love the duality of the car. Comfy limo one minute with loads of room and luxury, really fast, slightly, sporty car the next. And the over all build quality is very high too. I just love the steering feel.

Sorry if some of you have found this post somewhat long. I just wanted to pass on some of my experiences from the car. And I know this forum was of great help to me prior to my purchase.

Hope you like the pictures. I could only post the few as first posting so I have been limited. If anyone wants to see some more just let me know.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 04:45 AM   #3
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Firstly nice colour choice MCB is a great colour on this car, The interior colour however is not to my taste , but each to there own.
TOW-BAR!!!!! what on earth are you going tow? with an M5.

My running in procedure was much different than yours, I got everything HOT and then for the first 40 miles gave it the beans too 5.5K.
Result NO Oil used @ 4900 miles.
Car can spin rears even in 3rd/4th gears, goes like a rocket.
I have fitted 20" winter wheels with Michelin Alpin's and the car in these conditions is rock solid a real pleasure to drive.

I hope you enjoy the car for many years to come.

PS) Mine is not CP, I could not find any use /advantage to it in my driving.
      01-26-2014, 04:55 AM   #4
Akili02
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 (soon replaced)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6
Firstly nice colour choice MCB is a great colour on this car, The interior colour however is not to my taste , but each to there own.
TOW-BAR!!!!! what on earth are you going tow? with an M5.

My running in procedure was much different than yours, I got everything HOT and then for the first 40 miles gave it the beans too 5.5K.
Result NO Oil used @ 4900 miles.
Car can spin rears even in 3rd/4th gears, goes like a rocket.
I have fitted 20" winter wheels with Michelin Alpin's and the car in these conditions is rock solid a real pleasure to drive.

I hope you enjoy the car for many years to come.

PS) Mine is not CP, I could not find any use /advantage to it in my driving.
The CP seems to be debatable to everyone. £7300 and no one can say that it's am just have :
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 05:00 AM   #5
hcclemes
Rep

I have a very large garden and need to take garden waste to the council tip most weeks in the summer so have a smallish box trailer for this. When I was looking to purchase my new car it was the availability of the tow bar that swung my decision when looking at both the M5 and AMG E 63 Merc where a tow bar is not possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 05:18 AM   #6
w5pwr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Very nice and great spec....
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 05:21 AM   #7
matx1982
M Performance
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 + F90 M5 + G80 M3

Garage List
2021 X5  [0.00]
2021 M5 Competition  [9.17]
2022 M4 CSL  [10.00]
2022 M3 Xdrive Comp ...  [10.00]
The first superman themed M5 I have seen... congrats fab car. I tend to buy my cars based on a red interior but more recently have been white on the outside.

Interesting to see your thoughts on the competition pack. I drove the F10 when it first came out and then the LCI competition a few months ago. I can't really compare on that basis but everyone was saying get the competition pack so glad I did hearing your and Neil McRaes comments.

Interesting swapping the black to silver on the outside I think it works on the colour, but am a dechromed fan myself.

Any modifications planned?

Cheers

Mat
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 06:24 AM   #8
hcclemes
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlepyro View Post
The first superman themed M5 I have seen... congrats fab car. I tend to buy my cars based on a red interior but more recently have been white on the outside.

Interesting to see your thoughts on the competition pack. I drove the F10 when it first came out and then the LCI competition a few months ago. I can't really compare on that basis but everyone was saying get the competition pack so glad I did hearing your and Neil McRaes comments.

Interesting swapping the black to silver on the outside I think it works on the colour, but am a dechromed fan myself.

Any modifications planned?

Cheers

Mat
Hi Mat
I have no mods planned yet as I want to live with the car for awhile first. But I will consider a set of bigger carbon slip on pipes for the exhaust.
The one thing I would really like to achieve though is to have the speed limiter removed as per the M Performance pack option available to German customers as I travel to Germany frequently. I just cannot find anyone that has been able to crack the ecu to remove the limiter. There is one company that advertsises in most of the UK car mags that can do it but only with an increase to BHP which I don't won't or need. I think 575 plus is more than enough for a RWD car. And in any case they are charging 2.5K which I would never consider paying. If someone could offer this limiter removal for say £500 I would be straight there.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 06:28 AM   #9
matx1982
M Performance
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 + F90 M5 + G80 M3

Garage List
2021 X5  [0.00]
2021 M5 Competition  [9.17]
2022 M4 CSL  [10.00]
2022 M3 Xdrive Comp ...  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcclemes View Post
Hi Mat
I have no mods planned yet as I want to live with the car for awhile first. But I will consider a set of bigger carbon slip on pipes for the exhaust.
The one thing I would really like to achieve though is to have the speed limiter removed as per the M Performance pack option available to German customers as I travel to Germany frequently. I just cannot find anyone that has been able to crack the ecu to remove the limiter. There is one company that advertsises in most of the UK car mags that can do it but only with an increase to BHP which I don't won't or need. I think 575 plus is more than enough for a RWD car. And in any case they are charging 2.5K which I would never consider paying. If someone could offer this limiter removal for say £500 I would be straight there.
Exhaust pipes would look good... interesting about the speed limit removal. Have you asked BMW in the UK?

I seem to recall seeing the F10 when it was at the Autosport show a few years ago, and it said you could have it removed but had to go on a "BMW driving course" lol. Anyone else heard of that?

What is the top speed of the M5?

Cheers

Mat

Instagram - @matfireworks
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 06:31 AM   #10
hcclemes
Rep

Quote:
Exhaust pipes would look good... interesting about the speed limit removal. Have you asked BMW in the UK?

I seem to recall seeing the F10 when it was at the Autosport show a few years ago, and it said you could have it removed but had to go on a "BMW driving course" lol. Anyone else heard of that?

Cheers

Mat
I have tried BMW UK and Germany. Both have said not possible. I even went into a German dealer who also said it is impossible. I think the limiter is a fairly relaxed 155 - 160 MPH
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #11
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
starting to love this colour combo
      01-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #12
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
There is one company that advertsises in most of the UK car mags that can do it but only with an increase to BHP which I don't won't or need. I think 575 plus is more than enough for a RWD car. And in any case they are charging 2.5K which I would never consider paying. If someone could offer this limiter removal for say £500 I would be straight there.
NO Company here can do this and if they say they can then. total BS.
If the Germans are unable to crack it no one can.
      01-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #13
DIMBA
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Singapore Grey

Garage List
The colour combo looks great, top spec car!
Enjoy it
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #14
Akili02
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
There is one company that advertsises in most of the UK car mags that can do it but only with an increase to BHP which I don't won't or need. I think 575 plus is more than enough for a RWD car. And in any case they are charging 2.5K which I would never consider paying. If someone could offer this limiter removal for say 500 I would be straight there.
NO Company here can do this and if they say they can then. total BS.
If the Germans are unable to crack it no one can.
I went to a place here (bury) they charged me £50 to put it in the computer just to tell me that it can't be done
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #15
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akili02 View Post
I went to a place here (bury) they charged me £50 to put it in the computer just to tell me that it can't be done
I thought you were looking to BUY an M5 I did not know you had one all ready!!!.
      01-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #16
Akili02
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I thought you were looking to BUY an M5 I did not know you had one all ready!!!.
I had a 13 it's gone now as of a few days ago. I was in the market for an M6 but it's not working out so I'm looking for a 14 model. just trying to figure out if I want the CP or not now.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #17
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
I had a 13 it's gone now as of a few days ago. I was in the market for an M6 but it's not working out so I'm looking for a 14 model. just trying to figure out if I want the CP or not now.
I don't think you should do it given that you are doing several mods anyway. Only reason to get it is for the suspension. I'm haven't been a fan of the suspension for ride quality reasons, but setting that aside, you could do some pretty high end suspension upgrades for the price of the competition package. I think you should just go aftermarket springs, buy the CP anti-roll bar (which combined is only $1000 in parts), and then spend the money you would have spent on CP on ceramic brakes.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 11:52 AM   #18
Akili02
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:
I don't think you should do it given that you are doing several mods anyway. Only reason to get it is for the suspension. I'm haven't been a fan of the suspension for ride quality reasons, but setting that aside, you could do some pretty high end suspension upgrades for the price of the competition package. I think you should just go aftermarket springs, buy the CP anti-roll bar (which combined is only $1000 in parts), and then spend the money you would have spent on CP on ceramic brakes.
Thanks, I've been really considering the brakes. Been doing some research and just seeing if it's worth the money. It's sad that I'm having such a hard time making a decision. But I know I'm keeping this one for a while.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #19
bimmer-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330 e46 Vert, Bmw ind F10

Nice car and nice spec

Congrats on your purchase

Malcolm X
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #20
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:

Cheers

Mat
our cars are limited to 170mph (i hit limiter in 5th!!!! gear) in m3 it was at least in 6th, here we have 2 more gears to go! i am sure our cars can go up to 217mph with no tune!
M performance pack increases limiter to 190mph, but still havent heard anyone doing more than 190mph in m5, due to limiter
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #21
bigfra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991s , M5 Comp pack

Nice car, shame about the chrome
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #22
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Faster than a speeding bullet.

More powerful than a locomotive.

Able to beat GTR's in a single race.

It's a bird, it's a plane, no, it's SuperM5!

LOL!

Appreciate 0