M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

07-08-2017, 11:49 AM   #67
M&M
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Boosted Beemers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSPKris View Post
I would recommend the Spec-R clutch. You will need nothing else to hold this power. New fluid and filter are a must when changing the clutch.

You can email me directly at kris@sspperformance.com if you have any direct questions.

Thanks
Hi Kris, have an M5 with FBO, that is going Pure Stage 2 soon. What do you recommend and is there a discount for board members? I will e-mail you.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 11:50 AM   #68
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M View Post
Hi Kris, have an M5 with FBO, that is going Pure Stage 2 soon. What do you recommend and is there a discount for board members? I will e-mail you.
I would recommend the Spec-R clutch that we offer. It is good to 900 ftlbs torque at the flywheel. If you are powering beyond this, then you will need the billet output baskets for the transmission. You can email me directly at kris@sspperformance.com if you have any direct questions.

Kris
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 11:51 AM   #69
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevn23 View Post
@SSPKris what do you recommend for below 750whp?probably won't need the baskets?
No you will not need the baskets. If you reach 750 wheel torque then you will need the baskets.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 02:39 AM   #70
Nikolov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F90 M5C, '17 911 TTS

Got my clutches from SSP a couple of weeks ago and finally had my shop install them. My old clutches were slipping slightly on 5th and 6th gear and had developed some slight shudder when going forward 1st gear and reverse. The shudder is completely gone now.

Only did a short test drive after I picked up the car and I still have to break them in, but so far I don't find any difference in shifts. They're butter smooth. The only difference I feel is when backing off the throttle, the "lurch" from the engine brake feels slightly stronger, but not that different than before.

So far I'm a happy camper. Can't wait to break them in

Thanks for the great product and service Kris!
      07-18-2017, 09:37 AM   #71
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolov View Post
Got my clutches from SSP a couple of weeks ago and finally had my shop install them. My old clutches were slipping slightly on 5th and 6th gear and had developed some slight shudder when going forward 1st gear and reverse. The shudder is completely gone now.

Only did a short test drive after I picked up the car and I still have to break them in, but so far I don't find any difference in shifts. They're butter smooth. The only difference I feel is when backing off the throttle, the "lurch" from the engine brake feels slightly stronger, but not that different than before.

So far I'm a happy camper. Can't wait to break them in

Thanks for the great product and service Kris!
Thank you for the business. When adding more friction plates to the clutch, you will hear more noise as there are more moving internal parts. Going into reverse will always hesitate a little hence there are more clutch plates to lock up to engage the gear.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 12:23 PM   #72
Skyman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i

It's good to see all this positive review on the SSP and Kris's appreciation for working with my shop.

My situation is as follows :

I bought the SSP clutches at the recommendation of my shop AutoHaus Frankfurt. The used engine we got let go after 100 miles. Car was in the shop for 1 year waiting on a new Carbahn engine.

Kris is on this thread praising Autohaus's support which he is now loosing due to this situation. Hopefully we can rectify that.

Once that engine got in and was broken in and tuned and sent back to me the even gear clutches failed after 8 miles of driving.

Was on the freeway and car started jumping from 7 to 5 then as I slowed 3 to 5 and back and forth. Shut it down w/ a drive train error and wouldn't start again.

Got it towed back to the shop and they found the even gears warped.

They called Kris @ SSP and he said since it was 1 year and 5 days since the receipt for purchase of the clutches he was not going to help. My shop let him know of this and he wanted pictures of the clutches. Got them then stopped returning calls.

I emailed him and he was highly combative. I may have come off a bit strong to start but attempted to reset and get his position. He wouldn't give me one other than it wasn't his fault my car was in the shop for a year and were 5 days past warranty.

He said the install was not done wrong but just I was out of luck.

I've asked to speak to him via phone. Called a few times and left a VM and another Email and no response.

No response to my shop either.

I've been calling around all the top people in the industry I know to get opinions on this and seems there's some issues on the F10/F12 platform with these clutches.

I am really hoping Kris wants to come around. I am a very reasonable client that just wants to be treated fairly.

Best,
Skyler
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 11:24 PM   #73
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
It's good to see all this positive review on the SSP and Kris's appreciation for working with my shop.

My situation is as follows :

I bought the SSP clutches at the recommendation of my shop AutoHaus Frankfurt. The used engine we got let go after 100 miles. Car was in the shop for 1 year waiting on a new Carbahn engine.

Kris is on this thread praising Autohaus's support which he is now loosing due to this situation. Hopefully we can rectify that.

Once that engine got in and was broken in and tuned and sent back to me the even gear clutches failed after 8 miles of driving.

Was on the freeway and car started jumping from 7 to 5 then as I slowed 3 to 5 and back and forth. Shut it down w/ a drive train error and wouldn't start again.

Got it towed back to the shop and they found the even gears warped.

They called Kris @ SSP and he said since it was 1 year and 5 days since the receipt for purchase of the clutches he was not going to help. My shop let him know of this and he wanted pictures of the clutches. Got them then stopped returning calls.

I emailed him and he was highly combative. I may have come off a bit strong to start but attempted to reset and get his position. He wouldn't give me one other than it wasn't his fault my car was in the shop for a year and were 5 days past warranty.

He said the install was not done wrong but just I was out of luck.

I've asked to speak to him via phone. Called a few times and left a VM and another Email and no response.

No response to my shop either.

I've been calling around all the top people in the industry I know to get opinions on this and seems there's some issues on the F10/F12 platform with these clutches.

I am really hoping Kris wants to come around. I am a very reasonable client that just wants to be treated fairly.

Best,
Skyler
Did you resolve this issue
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 12:00 PM   #74
Skyman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBMW View Post
Did you resolve this issue
I did. I thought I posted an update. Kris was great on the phone and very helpful. He shipped a set of replacement clutches at no cost. Two thumbs up for SSP.
2017 740I, JB4 - 12.91@111
1989 Saleen #406 - AWD, Boss 302 Coyote, 1200whp all custom build in progress.
Appreciate 1