M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #45
DragonRR
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5 Black Sapphire

I can't comment on the US market but in the UK Porsche really hold their value well but not to the point where they don't depreciate. A 911 Turbo, for example, loses around £10K PA in the first few years. M6s (the E series) lose around £15k PA or even more when demand is poor. M5s tend to lose a bit less because they are almost identical in speed/acceleration but are cheaper and more practical.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #46
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
You really cannot rely on the M5 keeping its value.. the valuation you got from BMW FS does not surprise me at all. FYI, take a look at the current market value of 2010 M/Y E60 M5's.. they are now out there with low mileage at 45k.

Basically, if you want a car that holds its value.. then you must go Porsche.
You can buy a Porsche Panamera Turbo or GTS and UPGRADE to the newest model year without loosing a penny. The dealer will simply take it back and get you into the latest model.. every single year, you will be driving the latest model year Porsche.
Or get onto the dealerships "game", and put up your porsche for private sale or dump it at a carmax at the end of every model year - and you will walk away with around $10k or more in your pocket.. go back to Porsche and do it all over again.
Well I personally just got quite a bit more than that on "trade" form my dealer for mine. And YES I understand how the "numbers" work. Used to be int hat business years ago and am highly versed. I negotiate the purchase price first with no trade then I say "I will trade my car perhaps". I got a $5K discount on the F10 and a solid trade value on my 2010 E60. In fact, I met the guy who bought my old car shortly afterwards and he paid mid $50s for it.

Also, in agreement with BImmer6. Here in Atlanta you lose your butt on sports car period. Deals on Porsches left and right.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #47
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

FYI, I am located in South FL and have had great success.. I can only speak from my personal experience. While I was considering the Porsche Panamera Turbo/GTS (what an awesome car by the way), I spoke to my sales advisor.. he was surprised I knew about this (I guess most don't?). We talked a lot about it.. and the options were there and they were attractive.
If anyone is near their end of lease term on a Porsche, I would encourage you to find out your buyout and then try to work a deal with porsche financial for a better buyout deal (work them a little if you can). Then go from there. If you can make a gain and it's enough of a gain, complete the buyout or get into a new one.. whatever makes most sense for you and your situation.

@Stealth.Pilot PM me if you wanted more info about my last post. Are you seriously considering the Porsche Panamera (turbo or GTS)? I was, and also I was really impressed. The best part is the quality of the interior, doors, etc. It just blows away the M5. Also, the technology in that car is awesome (such as the dash with the various functions and info it displays). While that tech is a step up from the F10 M5, the Porsche navigation and 'computer' is a definite step down (hard to use, lack of flow, and too many buttons). The GTS is very cool (BTW you must get the ten thousand dollar exhaust option which is just a button that opens and closes valve.. hah). It sounds awesome and heck, the factory button is cool.
However, the GTS is underpowered and feels a bit slow. The Turbo S is very quick, but much more expensive (around 200k). I did end up choosing the M5 and I put in an order for a very unique 2013 Individual F10 M5 (early march build date). I just liked it better (M5).. handling is better and more of a drivers car. But when you sit in the Porsche Panamera.. the quality is very impressive and that alone blinds you until the end of the test drive which falls a bit short of the M5. I came to the conclusion that I will probably go Panamera Turbo S in the future.. and price was not a factor.. the M5 was just more of a drivers car (as any M owner will understand). The M5 is a better overall package.. IMO. Both are great cars though and it's hard to go wrong either way.. it just depends what factors are more importaint to you (handling, quality, tech, etc). Goodluck stealth.. and look into the Lauderdale dealers (Porsche only though).
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #48
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
FYI, I am located in South FL and have had great success.. I can only speak from my personal experience. While I was considering the Porsche Panamera Turbo/GTS (what an awesome car by the way), I spoke to my sales advisor.. he was surprised I knew about this (I guess most don't?). We talked a lot about it.. and the options were there and they were attractive.
If anyone is near their end of lease term on a Porsche, I would encourage you to find out your buyout and then try to work a deal with porsche financial for a better buyout deal (work them a little if you can). Then go from there. If you can make a gain and it's enough of a gain, complete the buyout or get into a new one.. whatever makes most sense for you and your situation.
OK - you're talking about leasing. When we talk depreciation, we're talking about purchasing. Two completely different economic models. And yes, although you cannot always do it, moving from car to car and keeping the same lease payment is not extraordinary.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #49
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Bingo who wants to pour money into a lease with no return. Please don't say it's a write off because that's just a bad accounting term to make poring money down the drain. I'm not a car flipper pay for it and drive them for a while. However good luck to ya
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #50
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

I am not a car flipper. This was my first time. I just sought out an opportunity. Why return my lease when I can buy it out and drop it off at CarMax for a 10k profit (I decided this was worth my time).

On a separate note.. if you like to lease, and you choose to lease a P Car you can get a new one every year without loosing.. because the dealer will make money on taking your car back (they will end up moving it). It's a win/win if you want a new P Car every year.

Obviously, like any business deal, it can be attractive to some and not attractive to others. I mentioned this for someone that was interested in it. Take the info or not, just sharing my experience which I learned while I was deciding between Porsche and F10 M5.

I personally always keep my cars for 2 years (besides my 2010 M5 for 3yrs to bridge the gap between E60-F10). I own M, AMG, and Porsche.. for some reason after 2 years / 35,000 miles these cars start to loose their magic (some worse than others).. and I treat my cars very well.

Good luck guys.

Last edited by avlnch; 03-03-2013 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #51
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 M Sport, 2015 M4 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Listen I have 2 points for you:

1) Your car is not worth that little. Why don't you pretend to be a buyer and see if you can buy an M5 for 40% of MSRP. I say its impossible. It's only worth that little if you are stupid enough to sell it for that little. I wish people in this community maintained a little price discipline - we collectively set the market. And posts like yours are not helpful in this regard. If you want to preserve your resale value - stop whining about your car being worthless.

2) I think the new 5 series looks ugly. I'm very seriously considering ordering an M6 GranCoupe now. And if I do I will sell my M5 for 80% of MSRP - I guarantee that this is what a 2013 is worth at least in the US. In Europe I would guess a little more.
Were you typing that to show off to some girl near your computer? If not get an ice cream and mind your language in future, you must've forgotten manners after reading previous LCI topics with a few compliments in your address after giving a number of of shortsighted spammy answers. You didn't even read the topic, only second half of which pointed out a fact about BMW trade-in offer.

You Americans pay less than "rest of the world" does for these cars, yet whine more than anyone else for the prices also. The moment you drive off a service dealer in "the rest of the world" your car's price drops by -20%, and homeystyle HRE wheels and or any modifications only make the car's value drop. The reason these cars are devaluated so fast is because that it's much easier to sell a car for $80,000 (used price in US and "the rest of the world") than for $200,000 (Europe), $375,000 (Turkey) and up to $400,000 in some countries in Asia. That's why you don't get such a higher price drop than others do, on top of having a higher average salary than other countries.

On top of that US customers have have great marketing and economic slavery programs which make it possible to buy a car for credit, mortgage, loan etc. Briefly, your cars are much cheaper than in other countries and your population can easily fork out the relatively little cash needed to buy a used car. In here - people prefer paying $200,000 for a new car than buy a $150,000 one used. This, coupled with many other psychological factors like upcoming LCI, BMW's reputation for unreliability on unperfect road conditions, high costs and poor resale value form an unpleasant market of the few potential buyers - thus making it very difficult to sell ///M cars.

Go educate yourself and pull your head out of the sand.

P.S. Nobody is interested in your #2, might as well write what you did last night.
Honestly dude, I can't even understand what you've written in both your posts!?!?

It simply doesn't make sense, either that or I can't read well; maybe that's my issue...

I'm not kidding
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #52
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
I am not a car flipper. This was my first time. I just sought out an opportunity. Why return my lease when I can buy it out and drop it off at CarMax for a 10k profit (I decided this was worth my time).

On a separate note.. if you like to lease, and you choose to lease a P Car you can get a new one every year without loosing.. because the dealer will make money on taking your car back (they will end up moving it). It's a win/win if you want a new P Car every year.

Obviously, like any business deal, it can be attractive to some and not attractive to others. I mentioned this for someone that was interested in it. Take the info or not, just sharing my experience which I learned while I was deciding between Porsche and F10 M5.

I personally always keep my cars for 2 years (besides my 2010 M5 for 3yrs to bridge the gap between E60-F10). I own M, AMG, and Porsche.. for some reason after 2 years / 35,000 miles these cars start to loose their magic (some worse than others).. and I treat my cars very well.

Good luck guys.
We get it now. You confused a few of us when you said Porsche's don't loose value. I was looking at a 991 2012 4k for 94k new it was 115k. It was a dealer car, and that's a big drop if I would say so. I bet I can get OT for 90k cash. (: I'm thinking ................
Appreciate 0