Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-08-2016, 09:27 AM   #1
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

Thoughts on F90 M5

I love the F10. There are only a couple of things I would change in the car - exhaust and that damn plasticky top of B pillar. Maybe make the seats a little thinner to increase rear legroom. But besides that it's perfect. There is one thing I didn't realize until seeing the G30.

The rear quarter look of F10 M5 is a bit, how should I say it, "Podgy". The roof crease line is thin, but the lines open up wide in a bit of an awkward way to the tail lights making it seem a bit fat. I think the new G30 does a really good job at striking the right balance of keeping the svelte roofline and integrating it with the redesigned side protrusion of the rear tail lights that the form flows really well. It looks more athletic. I think with the M5 treatment the wheel arches will be flared even more and it could look really sick.

I'm hoping there is a similar AWD on demand like the E63 AMG S in the new M5. If that's the case, I will be ordering another one!
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 09:34 AM   #2
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

That "podgy" look makes the F10 unique. The G30 rear looks like a mix of the F80 3er and a Honda Accord. I prefer the F10 rear.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      12-08-2016, 10:24 AM   #3
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

The past few generations of M5 have been radically different from each other. This time t seems to be more of a safer, evolutionary change. Even the engine is nearly identical.

I am sure the car will be better - handling, power, technology. But so far it isn't compelling to make the plunge.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #4
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 CP M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotor_2000 View Post
The past few generations of M5 have been radically different from each other. This time t seems to be more of a safer, evolutionary change. Even the engine is nearly identical.

I am sure the car will be better - handling, power, technology. But so far it isn't compelling to make the plunge.
Same thoughts as you!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #5
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

First, I believe that it is going to be called the F90 M5 for the next generation. This may be due to BMW lining up that chassis code far in advance but I also think it's because there are a lot of similarities between the next M5 and the F10 M5.

Purely subjective I know, but I get your point about the backend. I feel the G30 a bit more stylish in the back than the F10, but it's not a drastic stylish change. For this next generation of BMW's, the designs have played it too safe in my opinion. What they've done is the exact opposite of the Bangle generation and they've made what is seemingly subtle changes to the design of the F10. The F10 design was a move forward in design for BMW from the E60. This G30 is a move sideways from the F10. There's nothing about it that screams that it is far more unique in design than the F10. For many people this is a good thing, for many it is not. The whole G30 design feels more like an LCI update to the F10 than a whole new generation. With that said, I don't hate the G30, but I don't love it either. Yes it looks good, but I don't have a desire to buy one right away. The best thing about the G30 over the F10 is that it uses more aluminum and it dropped some weight. I read that the decision to not use the Carbon Core architecture was because it was too expensive. For a product that BMW will make over 2 million copies of, this is understandable. But then again BMW makes the i3 with a full carbon chassis, a car that hasn't sold very well. BMW may need some new bean counters.

All the usual stuff aside, like I've said before, the next M5 is going to be great and it has to be as it's got some tough competition. Compared to the F10 M5, the F90 M5 will probably be a little lighter, more fuel efficient, more powerful, probably will get AWD, and have a lot more tech with a pretty luxurious cabin. It will be better in every measurable way than the F10 M5, it has to be, but will it be the car I had hoped for, no it won't be.

BMW can no longer build the Sports Sedan of my dreams, they're now handicapped by EU / German laws and environmental lobbyists. That's not even the worst part, if anybody thinks they're going to buy a 2018 M5 and be able to tune and keep the factory warranty in tact, they're in for a rude awakening. There will come a day when the tuner community will no longer able to tune BMW ECU's because BMW's protections will be too advanced. I'm not talking about encryption either, I'm talking about the ability for BMW to actively deny the warranty automatically once it's systems detect tampering. It's just a matter of time and we may already be starting to see this happen with the F80 M3.

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #6
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
First, I believe that it is going to be called the F90 M5 for the next generation. This may due to BMW lining up that chassis code far in advance but I also think it's because there are a lot of similarities between the next M5 and the F10 M5.

Purely subjective I know, but I get your point about the backend. I feel feel the G30 a bit more stylish in the back than the F10, but it's not a drastic stylish change. For this next generation of BMW's, the designs have played it too safe in my opinion. What they've done is the exact opposite of the Bangle generation and they've made what is seemingly subtle changes to the design of the F10. The F10 design was a move forward in design for BMW from the E60. This G30 is a move sideways from the F10. There's nothing about it screams that it is far more unique in design than the F10. For many people this is a good thing, for many it is not. The whole G30 design feels more like an LCI update to the F10 than a whole new generation. With that said, I don't hate the G30, but I don't love it either. Yes it looks good, but I don't have a desire to buy one right away. The best thing about the G30 over the F10 is that it uses more aluminum and it dropped some weight. I read that the decision to not use the Carbon Core architecture was because it was too expensive. For a product that BMW will make over 2 million copies of, this is understandable. But then again BMW makes the i3 with a full carbon chassis, a car that hasn't sold very well. BMW may need some new bean counters.

All the usual stuff aside, like I've said before, the next M5 is going to be great and it has to be as it's got some tough competition. Compared to the F10 M5, the F90 M5 will probably be a little lighter, more fuel efficient, more powerful, probably will get AWD, and have a lot more tech with a pretty luxurious cabin. It will be better in every measurable way than the F10 M5, it has to be, but will it be the car I had hoped for, no it won't be.

BMW can no longer build the Sports Sedan of my dreams, they're now handicapped by EU laws and environmental lobbyists. That's not even the worst part, if anybody thinks they're going to buy a 2018 M5 and be able to tune and keep the factory warranty in tact, they're in for a big surprise. There will come a day when the tuner community will no longer able to tune BMW ECU's because BMW's protections will be too advanced. It's just a matter of time and we may already be starting to see this happen with the F80 M3.
The F15 X5s are the same, looks like a big LCI update rather than a new car. I think both the E70 and the F10 platforms were so successful that BMW doesn't want to mess with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 02:35 PM   #7
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

I agree about the thickness of the front seats. Like most here, the new M5 doesnt seem that compelling because we cant see it in the flesh yet. About the current F10 M5's rear, I do wish it was about 10mm wider flared to set it apart from the rest of the 5 series.
SSP Spec-R
KW V3/ Corsa Axle back
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #8
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Front looks similar to me... rear dont like, inside will be mind blowing as always. Motor will be similar...

Prob not going m5 again. Residuals will suck the first two yrs anyway
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #9
LI-M5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:

+3 which suxx , but the truth
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #10
Msport_888
Registered
Rep
Drives: 550

Quote:

You hit the nail on the head..

Direct quote from one of the designers of the new car:

Approaching the 5 Series, you could be forgiven for not realizing it is an all-new model – the seventh-generation, in fact. It is BMW’s longest-running series, having first rolled into company car parks in 1972. “Introducing the car that blurs the distinction between racing machines and luxury sedans,” the ad copy said then, and BMW is still pushing a similar message. The company has sold 7.5 million 5 Series over the past 44 years.

Simon Sebastian, the car’s interior designer, said the proportions of the outgoing model were right. They didn’t want to mess with it. The brief, he said, was to make the car, “even more sporty, even more business.”

Look closely and you see there are more sharp creases in the sheet metal than before. The surfaces are busier. The lights are narrower. The kidney-shaped grille – which was also on the 1972 model – is bigger and has movable slats that open or close to optimize cooling and aerodynamics. The roofline sweeps back further over the trunk. The differences are subtle.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle33236654/
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 07:23 PM   #11
Northern X5M
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5

I might change my tune when I see one in the flesh, but there is not enough change in the next model to make me drop another $140k.
      12-08-2016, 08:47 PM   #12
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

The design is not radical but I don't mistake it for F10. For me, if they add AWD, it would be compelling enough to seriously think about it as next car.

The rear quarter panel look is subjective, as is anything visual. I do think the new car G30 or whatever the heck BMW calls it, significantly improves that particular angle, especially if they flare it more.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 06:44 PM   #13
BPMSport
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
I'd resist it if I could... but I don't have enough self control not to start hacking away at the latest technology that hits the streets..

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 01:31 AM   #14
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

The LCI F10 Comfort seats got the update with additional controls that the pre-LCI F01 got in addition to other features like contrast stitching. These seats are great, but definitely decrease rear leg room. The G30 has additional leg room. Not sure what will happen with the F90 M5.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 10:06 AM   #15
thxbuff2001
Dictator for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: To many

I like the F10. Its as close as you can get to look like a e39. The next M5 would be fatter and fatter and it is a mini 7 series already. IMO
09 Ferrari SCUDERIA Rosso Corsa
23CayenneGTSCoupe
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 01:35 PM   #16
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

I won't even consider it if it doesn't have AWD.

I'm hoping it gets some of the more aggressive lines that the M3/M4 has.
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 01:45 PM   #17
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkim119 View Post
I won't even consider it if it doesn't have AWD.

I'm hoping it gets some of the more aggressive lines that the M3/M4 has.
I think by now it's fairly sure it will have AWD and RWD mode. I will be surprised if it has only RWD.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 09:29 AM   #18
RaTeD ///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2K13 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern X5M View Post
I might change my tune when I see one in the flesh, but there is not enough change in the next model to make me drop another $140k.
Its confirmed the F90 M5 will come in AWD with push of the button RWD. That's a game gamer! AWD when u need it and RWD when u want it. It will also be lighter and over 600bhp as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #19
DaveCM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTeD ///M View Post
Its confirmed the F90 M5 will come in AWD with push of the button RWD. That's a game gamer! AWD when u need it and RWD when u want it. It will also be lighter and over 600bhp as well.

I hope they can pull it off, but it will be interesting to see how they add AWD and keep the weight under the F10 weight without the Carbon Core, which was supposed to be what was going to save the weight.

Also, I just can get come to terms with the size of the headlights and grills. They're just so big that they detract from the car's looks. Maybe after I see one in person I'll change my tune, but so far with the new 5-series the M-sport models are the only ones I find mildly good looking, where as with the F10 even a basic 528i looked pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 12:09 PM   #20
IshR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

What's the point of switchable rwd?
Main reason purists are against awd is due to added weight.

A victory for those with more money then driving skill, those who can't control a powerful rwd vehicle. If snows where you live, get an x5m or rs6

If I want a heavy awd with drive train power loss at higher speeds, I would buy an rS6 or the new E63s AMG - both of which sound a lot better then the m5 anyway.

Looks like I'll be jumping boat to Mercedes
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 10:35 PM   #21
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshR View Post

A victory for those with more money then driving skill, those who can't control a powerful rwd vehicle. If snows where you live, get an x5m or rs6

If I want a heavy awd with drive train power loss at higher speeds, I would buy an rS6 or the new E63s AMG - both of which sound a lot better then the m5 anyway.

Makes the car more driveable. The car is heavy as it is. Let's see how much weight savings come in this gen of M5. I am not holding my breath.

If they can take out a lot of weight (loosely defining "lot" as 700-800 lb+), then this is more of a purists car. They can then take out HP, not have much effect on top end speed and have better handling.

But if they are keeping it as a 600+ hp car and not taking out much weight, then please add switchable AWD.

I have full faith that BMW is not going to muck the steering as much as Audi. Those things feel like dead steering.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 05:01 AM   #22
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshR View Post

99% of the M5 buyers have more money than driving skill, as a real estate agent said about those mega houses (I read somewhere), nobody needs a house with 10 bathrooms, but people buy them because they can.

The few people who can actually maximize the M5 can't support the market.
Appreciate 0