Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-17-2015, 02:42 PM   #1
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

Almost 1 month with M5 - look back

I have had my M5 state side for about a month at this point. Just got done with my 1200 mile service - that was an ordeal. Left the dealership after my 1200 mile service with my car, and about 10 miles out, I got a message "Engile Oil level critically low". Went back to dealership and afetr about 5 minutes of staying stationary, noticed a big puddle of oil below the car. Called the service manager and he looked at it. He profusely apologized, kept the car overnight and called me the next day. It was a faulty O2 ring in the oil filter. They replaced it, gave the engine a thorough look over, and cleaned up the belly of the car. Engine feels a bit more free revving now when pushing hard, but not noticeable in normal conditions.

I love this car. I have gotten a lot of compliments for the exterior and interior. At the dealership, pretty much the entire service crew came by to check out the interior. Moonstone, and Caramel Black / Walnut Honey are gorgeous.

Power: 10/10. Car has ample power for anything I can throw at it. It pulls like a beast. Can't wait to take it to track.

Comfort: 9/10. Its very comfortable. I was VERY concerned about getting competition package and having a wife and baby in the back seat. Roads in Northern Jersey are terrible. But, this thing soaks it up in comfort mode. Coming from a E90 chasis to this - world of a difference. When I got the loaner (528i xDrive, non sport), i noticed it was more comfortable than my M5, but not by much. And that thing had 16" /17" wheels compared to 20" on mine. If anyone if concerned about rough roads and comp package, don't worry. I can't imagine roads worse than the ones we have here, just keep it in comfort mode and you will be fine.

Full Leather: 10/10. Full leather is a must on this car. When I drove the 528i, it felt so cheap. Frankly, Mazda 6 feels more premium than a 528i with the cheapo leather. Cannot imagine getting another M5 without full leather. Makes a world of a difference.

Sound: 9/10. B&O is great as well. It's noticeably better than my E90's base sound system (not harmon). But about the same as the base system in Acura MDX with entertainment package. Metallic look of the speakers feels VERY premium. However, $3,700 for the package is expensive. When i compared them to the 528i loaner with base music system, there was a slight difference. But the black grills looked cheap.

Seats: 9/10. Seats are very comfortable. I used to shift around in my E90 and MDX seats, but haven't done as much in these seats. They are adjustable in a multitude of ways. I do wish, they had adjustable bolster support. Also Active Seats feature is OK at best. Wish it was more tuned for massage of back. Back seats are great. Wife loves them. I sat in them with the front seat adjusted for me (6'0") and there is AMPLE space in the back. The tranny tunnel hump makes the middle seat USELESS. If you have twins, and wife needs to sit in the back - get a SUV or a car without tranny tunnel hump. M5 can't realistically seat more than 4 comfortably. Last point, I wish the seats were slimmer. That would increase the leg room in the back.

Trunk: 10/10. It's a cave in there. I can fit 3 full sets of golf clubs in it. Its huge. For those with strollers, It has enough space to carry a Bugaboo or Uppababy or Citi Mini GT. As a reference point, I could not fit a Uppababy Vista in my E90. Even after fitting these strollers, there is a LOT of space.

Entertainment System: 10/10. iDrive has come a long way. Its the most intuitive system on market and VERY fast. We also have a 2014 MDX, and I get extremely frustrated by the lag time in the system. Mercedes's COMAND is useless, Audi's system is ok, Jag's is crap, Lexus's is the worst. With that rant, BMW has done an amazing job. I do wish the car had front camera for parking. Map's are easy to follow, but integration of google maps would be amazing. Also wish that BMW had traffic information at street level, not just for highways and bridges. Acura already has it.

Safety features: 8/10. Wish they had more active safety features. But with hydraulic power steering there is a limitation on what cane be done. From what I understand, you need electric power steering for active lane keep. However, they could have added active cruise control with start stop (but I doubt many would use it on a car like this - still nice to have), and active brake assist (again, doubt many would use it but why not throw it in). Car is heavy as it is, so weight savings can't be the only reason BMW!

Exhaust: 6/10. This is probably the weakest feature of this car with the stock exhaust. It's too quiet. I drove a E63 AMG S last year, and loved its dirty sound. It sent goosebumps in me. Competition package exhaust helps, but I have to correct myself, that its still too quiet. Really need to get the Akra to make it sound like a true performance car. But it's a lot of money (7-8K?). I love the sound on a cold start. Wish that sound stayed throughout. Hope the G series fixes this issue and comes with a Akra exhaust from the factory.

Overall: 9.0 / 10. I am really glad with the purchase. The car is a perfect blend of luxury, comfort, and power. I haven't driven it in winter, but I have bought my winter tires. Fingers crossed that it continues to be an amazing ride.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2015, 04:19 PM   #2
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 05:16 PM   #3
GMT234
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M140 mineral grey / oyster

Very nice write up, enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 09:18 PM   #4
bronch
Waiting for the sun
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240ix

What a great write up! I've had my car for almost 3 mos. For the most part, I think the same as you on the categories you chose. I came from an E92 M3. The iDrive is light years better, but it was really bad in my M3, so comparing to other cars out there now, I don't know. But, I'm happy with it. I agree with you on the safety features, although I would say they're average. Consider the the Subaru Eyesight system that's in a car 1/5 the price. BMW should be one of the leaders in this category. As far as exhaust note, I have CP and, excuse me, put on the exhaustmeister. It's louder, but clearly not in the Rpi or Eisenmann Race category. I'm happy with it for now. Comfort is surprisingly good. It really is amazing how this car transforms from comfort to a "heavy" track car.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 09:50 PM   #5
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Nice dude. Enjoy! Post new pix when you can.

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 10:30 PM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Nice write-up... post some pictures if u have em'
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 10:55 PM   #7
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronch View Post
What a great write up! I've had my car for almost 3 mos. For the most part, I think the same as you on the categories you chose. I came from an E92 M3. The iDrive is light years better, but it was really bad in my M3, so comparing to other cars out there now, I don't know. But, I'm happy with it. I agree with you on the safety features, although I would say they're average. Consider the the Subaru Eyesight system that's in a car 1/5 the price. BMW should be one of the leaders in this category. As far as exhaust note, I have CP and, excuse me, put on the exhaustmeister. It's louder, but clearly not in the Rpi or Eisenmann Race category. I'm happy with it for now. Comfort is surprisingly good. It really is amazing how this car transforms from comfort to a "heavy" track car.
Bronch, thanks. How do I install exhaustmeister? From their website it looks like I have to peel back carpets etc - not a fan of that. If I remember correctly, someone had a solution to keep the exhaust open using a wire? Anyone remember that? I would much rather do that.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 12:34 AM   #8
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90potentialbuyer View Post
I have had my M5 state side for about a month at this point. Just got done with my 1200 mile service - that was an ordeal. Left the dealership after my 1200 mile service with my car, and about 10 miles out, I got a message "Engile Oil level critically low". Went back to dealership and afetr about 5 minutes of staying stationary, noticed a big puddle of oil below the car. Called the service manager and he looked at it. He profusely apologized, kept the car overnight and called me the next day. It was a faulty O2 ring in the oil filter. They replaced it, gave the engine a thorough look over, and cleaned up the belly of the car. Engine feels a bit more free revving now when pushing hard, but not noticeable in normal conditions.

I love this car. I have gotten a lot of compliments for the exterior and interior. At the dealership, pretty much the entire service crew came by to check out the interior. Moonstone, and Caramel Black / Walnut Honey are gorgeous.

Power: 10/10. Car has ample power for anything I can throw at it. It pulls like a beast. Can't wait to take it to track.

Comfort: 9/10. Its very comfortable. I was VERY concerned about getting competition package and having a wife and baby in the back seat. Roads in Northern Jersey are terrible. But, this thing soaks it up in comfort mode. Coming from a E90 chasis to this - world of a difference. When I got the loaner (528i xDrive, non sport), i noticed it was more comfortable than my M5, but not by much. And that thing had 16" /17" wheels compared to 20" on mine. If anyone if concerned about rough roads and comp package, don't worry. I can't imagine roads worse than the ones we have here, just keep it in comfort mode and you will be fine.

Full Leather: 10/10. Full leather is a must on this car. When I drove the 528i, it felt so cheap. Frankly, Mazda 6 feels more premium than a 528i with the cheapo leather. Cannot imagine getting another M5 without full leather. Makes a world of a difference.

Sound: 9/10. B&O is great as well. It's noticeably better than my E90's base sound system (not harmon). But about the same as the base system in Acura MDX with entertainment package. Metallic look of the speakers feels VERY premium. However, $3,700 for the package is expensive. When i compared them to the 528i loaner with base music system, there was a slight difference. But the black grills looked cheap.

Seats: 9/10. Seats are very comfortable. I used to shift around in my E90 and MDX seats, but haven't done as much in these seats. They are adjustable in a multitude of ways. I do wish, they had adjustable bolster support. Also Active Seats feature is OK at best. Wish it was more tuned for massage of back. Back seats are great. Wife loves them. I sat in them with the front seat adjusted for me (6'0") and there is AMPLE space in the back. The tranny tunnel hump makes the middle seat USELESS. If you have twins, and wife needs to sit in the back - get a SUV or a car without tranny tunnel hump. M5 can't realistically seat more than 4 comfortably. Last point, I wish the seats were slimmer. That would increase the leg room in the back.

Trunk: 10/10. It's a cave in there. I can fit 3 full sets of golf clubs in it. Its huge. For those with strollers, It has enough space to carry a Bugaboo or Uppababy or Citi Mini GT. As a reference point, I could not fit a Uppababy Vista in my E90. Even after fitting these strollers, there is a LOT of space.

Entertainment System: 10/10. iDrive has come a long way. Its the most intuitive system on market and VERY fast. We also have a 2014 MDX, and I get extremely frustrated by the lag time in the system. Mercedes's COMAND is useless, Audi's system is ok, Jag's is crap, Lexus's is the worst. With that rant, BMW has done an amazing job. I do wish the car had front camera for parking. Map's are easy to follow, but integration of google maps would be amazing. Also wish that BMW had traffic information at street level, not just for highways and bridges. Acura already has it.

Safety features: 8/10. Wish they had more active safety features. But with hydraulic power steering there is a limitation on what cane be done. From what I understand, you need electric power steering for active lane keep. However, they could have added active cruise control with start stop (but I doubt many would use it on a car like this - still nice to have), and active brake assist (again, doubt many would use it but why not throw it in). Car is heavy as it is, so weight savings can't be the only reason BMW!

Exhaust: 6/10. This is probably the weakest feature of this car with the stock exhaust. It's too quiet. I drove a E63 AMG S last year, and loved its dirty sound. It sent goosebumps in me. Competition package exhaust helps, but I have to correct myself, that its still too quiet. Really need to get the Akra to make it sound like a true performance car. But it's a lot of money (7-8K?). I love the sound on a cold start. Wish that sound stayed throughout. Hope the G series fixes this issue and comes with a Akra exhaust from the factory.

Overall: 9.0 / 10. I am really glad with the purchase. The car is a perfect blend of luxury, comfort, and power. I haven't driven it in winter, but I have bought my winter tires. Fingers crossed that it continues to be an amazing ride.
Get Exhauste Meister (Super easy install 20-15 minutes max and I am not handy) + Resonators Delete
Will take it to 8/10
Glad you like it
20 months now and loving it still
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 01:02 AM   #9
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Bronch, thanks. How do I install exhaustmeister? From their website it looks like I have to peel back carpets etc - not a fan of that. If I remember correctly, someone had a solution to keep the exhaust open using a wire? Anyone remember that? I would much rather do that.
I did the exhaust flap wires and it makes a huge difference at idle. It sounds menacing now. Lol
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 03:09 AM   #10
steveM5-UK
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Sakhir Orange

About 4 months and 5000 miles in the M5 now and have to agree with most of your comments.

I was going to write a wee report, but for some reason I can get stuck at the first word.

Its not a big word, infact its a very small one with only two letters. But when written, I think fully sums up my opinion of the 2015 M5.

And the word?

WoW!
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2015, 07:53 AM   #11
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodLonghorn
Quote:
I did the exhaust flap wires and it makes a huge difference at idle. It sounds menacing now. Lol
Instructions?
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 08:11 AM   #12
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Instructions?
Not quite instructions, but shows it done
      07-18-2015, 04:06 PM   #13
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Some pics from today. Thanks everyone for exhaust suggestions.
Attached Images

2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #14
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Instructions?
Check post #6 in the thread below. I wrote up some instructions after I wired my vales open.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...=exhaust+valve
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 04:19 PM   #15
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Quote:
Beautiful color combo very unique.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 04:36 PM   #16
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

And some pics with car seat. This is a Recaro convertible car seat. IMO more than 2 car seats in the back are not possible
Attached Images

2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 12:39 AM   #17
bronch
Waiting for the sun
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240ix

Quote:
I'll look and see if I have the instructions it came with, but they're online here. It is really easy. It's not the carpet you peel back, but the carpeted panel on the left when you open the trunk. Just pull out the pins and it releases the panel enough for you to get in there. Seriously, 15 minutes. The thing is that with them wired open all the time you have to deal with drone and that's why I went with the capability to switch it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 10:29 AM   #18
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

I'm glad you are enjoying your M; they are great cars. Without high jacking your thread, your experience with the split o ring is inexcusable, and the reason my car will never see the dealer again since the obligatory 1,200 was done. A simple running of the car on the lift, post change-would have identified this. This is basic procedure. I've been working on cars, rebuilding engines, and performing my own maintenance for over 33 years. This doesn't happen when a person follows procedure. It is a shame, your story is illustrative of what can often happen with dealers techs. Notice I did not say always... Sometimes is enough for me to never darken a dealer's door again for service...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 09:50 AM   #19
frisky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M5 Individual

Great writeup E90potentialbuyer.

Re: the exhaust flap 'hack' using wires. Im not sure Id wanna do that - wouldnt that mess up something in the diagnostic computers etc? Im sure the onboard computers track exhaust flap openings etc...

f.
2016 ///M5 Individual | Frozen Cashmere Silver Metallic | Amaro Brown Full Leather w/ Custom Special Order White Contrast Stitching | Piano Black Trim | Custom Headliner | Competition Package w/ 601M wheels | Executive Package | Drivers Assistance Package | Bang & Olufsen |
European Delivery: October 10 2015 [Pictures here]
@friskygeek
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 11:36 AM   #20
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Caramel with Walnut, mmmmm, mmmmm, mmmmmm! Damn that looks good! Now I feel like eating a Snickers bar for some reason.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #21
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisky View Post
Re: the exhaust flap 'hack' using wires. Im not sure Id wanna do that - wouldnt that mess up something in the diagnostic computers etc? Im sure the onboard computers track exhaust flap openings etc...
No, there's zero impact from wiring them open - I've had mine open for 2 years with no issues.
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 08:25 PM   #22
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
No, there's zero impact from wiring them open - I've had mine open for 2 years with no issues.
I am waiting to do mine. If the drone bothers me, I will take the wire off. Gotta get this car to sound a bit louder than this...

BMW can also change the position of the blind spot monitoring alert to a better location AND make it BRIGHTER. I know orange is BMW's color, but bright red is better. And maybe move it to inside the car so it is less impacted by glare? Similar to MDX....
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0