BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-03-2014, 06:00 AM   #1
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Warranty in the UK - Problems!

So this has come as a massive surprise to me....

My BMW manufacturers warranty will expire in March 2015 so I have been doing some homework around what extended warranty to get after this as I will be holding on to the car for a while...

....And I thought I would do my homework now as I have quite a few mods planned and my local delearships have been giving me some mixed responses towards warranty...

So the extended warranty is obtained through a company called mondial..(I had no problems with minor mods such as exhaust with them when I had my extended warranty with Audi Rs4)

Called them up and they said with regards to BMW, if there were any mods at all that they called "performance enhancing" eg suspension or even a simple backbox they would void the warranty on the entire car!!...Not just for a related component failure but the entire car!! Very annoyed as this is not my understanding as to how warranty works but I spoke to a manager there as well who confirmed the same thing...

It seems as though they are getting very tight on warranty claims and hence it really does put a downer on what I have planned for the car ie I wont even be able to add a backbox as this is still performance enhancing in their eyes

Very annoyed but at the end of the day, its an expensive car that I plan to keep hold of for a few more years so I definately need to reassurance of warranty in place in case things start to get expensive
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 06:28 AM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Just continue to shop around dude. There has to be someone out there who won't mind the mods.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 06:32 AM   #3
Stash21
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Don't bmw offer an extended warranty? When I had my 750 they write to be close to expiration of the regular 3 year warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 07:07 AM   #4
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash21 View Post
Don't bmw offer an extended warranty? When I had my 750 they write to be close to expiration of the regular 3 year warranty.
Its Basically Mondial who offers the BMW extended warranty...hence the problem....If I start to shop around for third parties then who knows what other issues may pop up
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
Stash21
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I think you're right to hold off on the mods. A warranty claim denied isn't worth it.

What price are they quoting for the warranty. I will probably be keeping mine after 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
savela
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

I don't think extended warranties are held to the same standard as the original manufactures' warranty. Meaning that they don't need to prove that a mod directly resulted in a certain failure.

Really need to read the fine print on those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru View Post
So this has come as a massive surprise to me....

My BMW manufacturers warranty will expire in March 2015 so I have been doing some homework around what extended warranty to get after this as I will be holding on to the car for a while...

....And I thought I would do my homework now as I have quite a few mods planned and my local delearships have been giving me some mixed responses towards warranty...

So the extended warranty is obtained through a company called mondial..(I had no problems with minor mods such as exhaust with them when I had my extended warranty with Audi Rs4)

Called them up and they said with regards to BMW, if there were any mods at all that they called "performance enhancing" eg suspension or even a simple backbox they would void the warranty on the entire car!!...Not just for a related component failure but the entire car!! Very annoyed as this is not my understanding as to how warranty works but I spoke to a manager there as well who confirmed the same thing...

It seems as though they are getting very tight on warranty claims and hence it really does put a downer on what I have planned for the car ie I wont even be able to add a backbox as this is still performance enhancing in their eyes

Very annoyed but at the end of the day, its an expensive car that I plan to keep hold of for a few more years so I definately need to reassurance of warranty in place in case things start to get expensive
2011 550i (traded)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #7
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash21 View Post
I think you're right to hold off on the mods. A warranty claim denied isn't worth it.

What price are they quoting for the warranty. I will probably be keeping mine after 3 years.
Haven't actually had a quote yet but I expect it to be under 1k for fully comp which is way cheaper than my audi
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
Stash21
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

If its under 1k that would be good. Although I would be surprised if it is. The quote for the 750 was £1300
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #9
Stash21
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

did you get the quote back yet for the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by savela View Post
I don't think extended warranties are held to the same standard as the original manufactures' warranty. Meaning that they don't need to prove that a mod directly resulted in a certain failure.

Really need to read the fine print on those.
yes they are likely to be insurance policies and we all know how insurance works.................
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 04:31 PM   #11
rjn21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 LCI

UK extended warranties are contracts of insurance from xyz insurance company branded up as BMW or whomever, and do not benefit from the EU regs regarding new car warranties, which require the manufacturer to prove a non OEM part has caused the problem. They could be really silly and include a clause as bonkers as farting in your car voids the warranty...
If you were to have a back box, one could imagine reverting the after market back box to OEM prior to taking it to a dealer for any extended warranty work.
Appreciate 0