M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

07-23-2016, 11:25 AM   #1
Edmguy11
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 M5

JB4+BCM vs Stage 1

This community has been very good to me regarding answering questions on potential mods, or assisting me with troubleshooting issues.

I wanted to give back a bit and provide my feedback on the JB4 + BCM versus the BMS Stage 1.

I would clarify before I state anything that I have never been able to get the BCM to work properly, due to issues I do believe to be with the installation. Support at BMS "Terry" has been nothing but helpful throughout the whole process.

I am sure if I got another installer whom would work with BMS to troubleshoot my issues with the BCM would be resolved.

However I am left thinking at this point why bother..... Reason being the one fact that I wish I understood prior to installing the JB4 + BCM is that Map 2 will not work reliably with stock fuel trim unless you have the CP package.

So that leaves me with the options of ever getting a back-end flash, or possibly running meth injection.

I would strongly argue that if your going to go that route just get a full flash done, as there are several companies offering full flashes and able to achieve higher than 22lbs + of boost.

The other issue I have is I am actually really enjoying my JB4 configured in the Stage 1 configuration "4.0 boost setting".

I do imagine I got 50-70 WHP increase as per BMS's claims, especially including the BMS intake and exhaust.

Only real benchmark I have right now is a couple roll races with my friends Hellcat Charger, all of which were basically even every time.

Hope some of this is helpful to people considering going the JB4 route.... In a nutshell I think BMS stage 1 is hard mod to beat for $$$ vs HP, and I think the JB4+BCM right now is only worth it for select individuals....
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 12:00 PM   #2
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Good stuff. For people with access to nothing better than 91 octane on a daily driver I would tend to agree with your conclusion. I've used Map 2 a few times and it is phenomenal, but the car's AFR is in the danger zone. I was recommended E85 (about 3 gallons) but we've all read mixed reviews on that since the M5 and/or JB4 need to be tuned for E85.

So I'm in the same boat, get backend flash and maybe meth to keep things safe or stick to Map 1.

I think guys are now leaning towards full flash and using JB4 to go beyond 22psi, but at that point (ie 25psi) they're upgrading clutches and using meth, too. It's like an all or none thing!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
bigtex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 - sold

I am very happy with my stage 1 set to 3.5. One thing I like is the ability to remove it easily.

Also, I recently started adding 2 gallons of E85 each time I fill up with 93 octane and car is pulling much stronger than on 93 octane alone.
      07-23-2016, 04:56 PM   #4
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

I'm glad it's at least running normally now with the Stage1. The Stage1 is a great tune, easy to install, and inexpensive. But even on pump gas the JB4 is a stronger setup. And the JB4 with BCM stronger yet. That said if you are happy picking up 50-60hp the Stage1 is the way to go. JB4 is overkill for that situation.

Mike
Appreciate 0