BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-19-2015, 05:19 AM   #23
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Having had my M5 for just over a month and having to accommodate three kids under 5 I would have no problem recommending it.

In the UK there aren't many chances to exploit the power and in fact coming onto the motorway you'll need your wits about you to make sure you aren't going too fast before the end of the slip road. When you do get the chance to stretch the motor in the car it is like nothing else! Put it up to Sport+ and listen to the roar

Around town though I keep it in auto and on the lowest settings and it glides around effortlessly with no problems at all. I still take it easily as its typically wet and icy at this time of year.

The rear seat has plenty of space, if you are thinking of getting Isofix car seats make sure you spec the split/folding rear seats to get the hinged covers that make it easy to access the Isofix connection points.

The boot is deep and will fit most pushchairs easily. We have a Cameleon that goes straight in and leaves plenty of space.

As with anything though, try it. Get one on a test drive and take it over to John Lewis or Mothercare and try the various car seats and pushchairs all you like. It's what I did and it made the decision so much easier.

Interestingly when I was trying to decide between the 535d or the M5 the price came out much closer than I had thought so the M5 was a no brainer. The 0% apr at the moment really levels the playing field. You'll also have more room to manoeuvre on a deal on the M5 over say an X5 as discounts are a lot easier to come by.

The long and short of it is, get the M5 and you'll not regret it
      01-19-2015, 05:45 AM   #24
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

The M5 can be driven slow and comfortably and balls to the wall fast if u want to. It's a very flexible and capable car. No need to worry too much about the power as it's all very controllable. Just leave it in Comfort mode for the throttle and it's all safe and slow. My wife loves the car as it's really spacious and comfortable (when i choose to)!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 01:01 PM   #25
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Just got my M5 CP

Picked up late December and have now done about 800 miles.

Traded in an M135i....316 bhp, 332 lb ft and 0-60 in 4.9 so not slow. Used to ride super bikes and open class dirt bikes so I'm quite used to lots of power.

There is no way you can call this M5 docile. I'm running in, with everything in Eco and all safety electronics on and I've already spun up the rears twice. Once pulling onto a roundabout and the 2nd time when someone flashed to let me turn right in from of them. Nothing serious, but I was slightly shocked at how easily it happened

It may be because temperatures are low but the second you use more than a few mm on the gas pedal there's more torque that the tyres can handle.

My overriding impression so far is that this car needs a lot of restraint and you have to be constantly aware of what your right foot is doing. Personally I love it but there's an awful lot of power and torque for the tyres to deal with when conditions are anything less than optimal.

Last edited by SteveC; 01-19-2015 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 01:25 PM   #26
msi200
Enlisted Member
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: M2

Back in 2013, I bought the M5 to replace my "old" daily driver X5 40d. Good thing that I didn't sell the X5 and now have both. IMHO, the X5 is much better as a family car. It has more room, the ride is better, has runflats/spare tyre, etc. PLus, the kids got sick in the back of the M5.
So I ended up using the X5 for the family and the M5 for me
Also, for long trips the X5 is less tiring. The M5 really shines beyond 100mph...

I would consider a X5M.

Last edited by msi200; 01-19-2015 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 02:31 PM   #27
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

ANdy

I live in west hampstead so its not central london but close enough anyways..The M5 was a no brainer for me...I came from an Audi RS4 avant which actually turned out to be too small for my family in the end..

The M5 was a no brainer...it can be driven like a Prius or a Ferrari but that goes with any performace car in my mind i.e.....it goes as fast as your willing to put your right foot down..Its super practical and the only reason my wife doesn't like driving the car is because I'm so anal about it..Ie if she curbs an alloy I would cry!

Yes its a big car to parallel park etc but that is something that anyone would get used to...My only reservation is that high end cars like this with key less entry are currently being targetted in and around london...Ive been routinely pulled over numerous times by the police to make sure its actually my car and this is the reason they have given me everytime I've been pulled over...

Being London, I don't have a garage or front driveway but my street is relatively quiet and safe so I'm able to pretty much park the car outside my house every night and i use a disklok as well..

Ive never regretted buying this car and wouldn't consider anything else other than an RS6 if they day comes that I can afford it!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #28
Andynev1982
Rep
Drives: Soon to be M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru
ANdy

I live in west hampstead so its not central london but close enough anyways..The M5 was a no brainer for me...I came from an Audi RS4 avant which actually turned out to be too small for my family in the end..

The M5 was a no brainer...it can be driven like a Prius or a Ferrari but that goes with any performace car in my mind i.e.....it goes as fast as your willing to put your right foot down..Its super practical and the only reason my wife doesn't like driving the car is because I'm so anal about it..Ie if she curbs an alloy I would cry!

Yes its a big car to parallel park etc but that is something that anyone would get used to...My only reservation is that high end cars like this with key less entry are currently being targetted in and around london...Ive been routinely pulled over numerous times by the police to make sure its actually my car and this is the reason they have given me everytime I've been pulled over...

Being London, I don't have a garage or front driveway but my street is relatively quiet and safe so I'm able to pretty much park the car outside my house every night and i use a disklok as well..

Ive never regretted buying this car and wouldn't consider anything else other than an RS6 if they day comes that I can afford it!
Remarkable coincidence - I'm moving to West Hampstead next month. Not looking forward to the on-street parking scrum but I'm sure I'll manage.

I think based on the majority of comments on here the conclusion is that it can definitely work as a shared family car - but needs to be treated with respect. My wife's a very confident driver and sounds like the car can be sensible when treated sensibly.

... Now for some test drives!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 03:21 PM   #29
Bigmuz7
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16

I've just bought one after coming out of X5's . My family are older now so we've not got as much stuff to haul, and my boat is smaller ... Ive always loved a bit of grunt, and both my last X's were top end petrol V8's . The space in them was impressive, and, If I could find a used M50d I'd probably have stayed with the X .. but a good low mileage M5 appeared and I went for it. From a practicality point of view it is smaller and a helluva lot lower ... but theres still plenty of space in it ... but .... when you get it in the zone .. its a thrilling ride. Im in Glasgow .. and normal speed limits still apply .. but I also drive out of town a fair bit and get the DCT working as it should .. its a helluva tool

Mostly I'll drive it on all the most comfortable settings, and shortly I will introduce my wife to it, although there are a couple of do's and dont's though, but any driver with a few years under their belt will accept this, and just learn how to drive it.

I think its one of its most exciting features, learning how to handle it. I had an Audi S6 years ago and test drove an RS6 and loved it, but life took me on a different course ?... but now I'm back at the learning curve of a car that has truely awesome power... and I love being back here ... just little by little... you widen the envelope, so far I have found it quite forgiving actually when Ive pushed it although I leave the electronics on at all times, because although I am experienced driver through a wide range of vehicles I drive, there's not many other motors out there quite like this
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 04:04 PM   #30
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

The M25 road can get traffic at times..........but when you have a car as awesome as a BMW M5, it's hard to resist being in one and driving in one.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 04:14 PM   #31
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfive View Post
For your situation, if possible, go with the X5. It is much more practical, roomy and safe with decent ground clearance. It'll also feel more comfortable with the kids in the back coz unlike the M5, it has real legroom and also easier to get in/out. The X5 also has seemingly sturdier leather when compared to the M5. Driving-wise, they're worlds apart and obviously built to serve different needs. My wife has the X5 and I drive the M5, so, this is based on personal experience with the two vehicles.
or go with an ///AMG. quite a few end up being bored with this m5. i did.

quite a few others too.

i feel less people end up ditching their amg (cls63/E63)

the cls has a better sounding engine with more torque. cls63 also a much better looking car than the m5.

otherwise if exhaust note and tunability dont matter to you, then go with the m5
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 06:14 PM   #32
Wdh777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Competition Package M5

So a few comments. The dual clutch is a little complicated for my wife. She is great at a manual and you can't mess that up. But the dual clutch even though it can default to comfort auto if you press a random button your need to really understand the systems. In snow ok but I have snow tires. Kids, I have three and plenty of room. The three kids is part of the reason I got the m5 so I can actually take them all with me. Car seat no problem. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 07:50 PM   #33
zm5
Rep

Reading this I was like "yes same situation I'm in"

I have recently been told that we will be expecting a new born in 9 months 2 days after ordering my M5, I drive in London and Iv hardly seen any M5's (well very old ones maybe). Its big and safe and a beat all in one.

I pick up my Monte Carlo blue m5 in May my upgrade form a 320d sport plus i canine wait!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 11:35 PM   #34
Grumpywings
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M5 CP CCB, Triple Black

My only reservation about sharing an M5 with my wife would be her curbing the wheels while parking. As mentioned, DSC and comfort settings keep the car civil and the trunk is adequate for weekend bags and baby gear.

The other problem is, kids grow up, maybe you add a second, friends join the school carpool, grocery runs get more frequent, and the space to manage it all shrinks. That's why my fam rides around in a GL350 Diesel

Did I mention how absolutely filthy that backseat will be once Jr. is 2 years old? I'm talking liquid poo, milk, and misplaced fruit in every crevice
Appreciate 0