M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

10-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Connecting iPhone 5 email & messaging????

Now that I have my car back, my iPhone has connected instantly and without issue. How do I get it to see my email and messages? Tried everything I can think of to no avail.

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
2019 BMW X5 MSport, in coming
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I am having difficulty with this too. I am running an AT&T iPHone 5 running iOS 6.01

My issue is as follows:
1) Under Bluetooth/Device Configuration, I don't have a checkbox for Office. I only have checkbox options for telephone, additional telephone and audio.
2) I tried unpairing and repairing. When I do this I still have same issue.
3) The notifications checkbox in iPhone/Bluetooth/Connection settings is missing during the pairing process. It only appears after the pairing process which is too late because at this point the car has memorized the phone as lacking message notification service.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Repost: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12957029

There's no Office checkbox you need to enable in the phone properties in iDrive. There MIGHT be a checkbox to enable Office system-wide though, which if memory serves is under Telephone and them the Options sidebar (NOT in the properties for any particular device).

You can turn Notifications on in the Bluetooth pair settings on the phone itself after pairing no problem. The capabilities aren't locked in during the initial pairing, they're renegotiated every time the devices connect. That's why you can toggle BT Audio on and off on iDrive for example without deleting and recreating the whole phone profile.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
efm9821
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E46 M3

Garage List
2013 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I am having difficulty with this too. I am running an AT&T iPHone 5 running iOS 6.01

My issue is as follows:
1) Under Bluetooth/Device Configuration, I don't have a checkbox for Office. I only have checkbox options for telephone, additional telephone and audio.
2) I tried unpairing and repairing. When I do this I still have same issue.
3) The notifications checkbox in iPhone/Bluetooth/Connection settings is missing during the pairing process. It only appears after the pairing process which is too late because at this point the car has memorized the phone as lacking message notification service.

Any thoughts?
Not absolutely certain so check with a CA but I believe what you are looking for is "Office" which will have mail, messages and talk to text. The trick here is that it is enabled for a fee. In the BMW Assist program, there is a "Safety Package" and then a "Convienence Plan" that they charge $199/year. All the info that is on the web is woefully behind times and further the CA's seem to be even further behind in their literature they can offer you. My CA had to show me his product training videos and even those were unclear. In any event, I paid the $199 knowing that I could cancel after the fact and obtain a prorata refund if I saw no value. I've only had my M5 for a couple of days but so far I'm not seeing alot of advantage here other than the ability to send addresses from Google Maps to the car. Hope this helps put you on a track to investigate further.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Repost: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12957029

There's no Office checkbox you need to enable in the phone properties in iDrive. There MIGHT be a checkbox to enable Office system-wide though, which if memory serves is under Telephone and them the Options sidebar (NOT in the properties for any particular device).

You can turn Notifications on in the Bluetooth pair settings on the phone itself after pairing no problem. The capabilities aren't locked in during the initial pairing, they're renegotiated every time the devices connect. That's why you can toggle BT Audio on and off on iDrive for example without deleting and recreating the whole phone profile.
This isn't solving the issue. I have notifications on on the iPhone (in the bluetooth settings, and in notifications center). I have office set to on for systemwide bluetooth on iDrive. I have no checkbox for office under the iPhone device config in iTunes but you claim that this box doesn't exist (the thread you posted above says otherwise).

Still I have no messaging...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by efm9821 View Post
Not absolutely certain so check with a CA but I believe what you are looking for is "Office" which will have mail, messages and talk to text. The trick here is that it is enabled for a fee. In the BMW Assist program, there is a "Safety Package" and then a "Convienence Plan" that they charge $199/year. All the info that is on the web is woefully behind times and further the CA's seem to be even further behind in their literature they can offer you. My CA had to show me his product training videos and even those were unclear. In any event, I paid the $199 knowing that I could cancel after the fact and obtain a prorata refund if I saw no value. I've only had my M5 for a couple of days but so far I'm not seeing alot of advantage here other than the ability to send addresses from Google Maps to the car. Hope this helps put you on a track to investigate further.
I already have the convenience plan. I like it because I always call the concierge to send addresses to the nav instead of doing a search or manually entering the address.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
mdernst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
For me BMW Office + iPhone 5 on iOS 6.01 is a complete FAIL.

First of all, nothing should be this complex to setup even if after going through all this it did work. I have tried every combination mentioned here and on every other BMW Office/iPhone thread on the internet and the best I have gotten is I have received a text message on the iDrive screen that arrived on the phone while I was driving and the iPhone was connected. And even then I could not reply to it through the text dictation in the iDrive.

My Samsung Galaxy S III connected without any special combination of settings and loaded every text message on my phone into the iDrive every time it connected to the car and allowed me to reply to any of them or even create new text messages through the iDrive.

Of course the drawback to the Android phone was no BMW Apps. But I'd rather have the messaging features work properly than the Apps.
Appreciate 0