03-01-2013, 03:45 AM   #45
smashhell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
What do people think of the Rapide? I've always loved the looks and the sound of the glorious V12, but it clearly lacks horsepower and performance. What do those things weigh anyways? Keeping within the same segment I think that a Rapide would be my next car of choice if the M5 did not exist.
I've looked into it.
It's an amazing machine. Basically a stretch DB9 with 4 doors.
The problem with it is very cramped seats. Very little space for a big car.
And of course its price, at $200k it's not what you call cheap.
      03-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #46
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 M Sport, 2015 M4 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
Gotta go up market into Maserati, Aston, etc for exclusivity. Sadly many of those cars are inferior to the M5's performance and at much higher cost.
Agree. The latest Quattroporte is a pretty poor car in my opinion. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Same with the Rapide.

The Flying Spur Speed is attractive, but too big.
I can vouch. I hated my gran turismo S... Horrible performance on such a sexy car
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #47
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Well as far as the 335, for an added $500, it was faster than an M3
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #48
Tomcat2048
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
Never heard about that...but I guarantee you it didn't handle nearly as well...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #49
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat2048 View Post

He knows better...
      03-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #50
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
It's a pretty popular platform to mod now.
I'm around 400 whp for under 2k in parts. A hellacious bang for the buck compared to the 270 whp it makes in stock form.

Of course it won't handle as well in stock form.

But It can be made to handle pretty well for pretty cheap.

I love the M3, just the weak torque kills it. The 335 will never sound as good, look as good etc. I love both cars and each has a place where it has strong points.

95% of the time on the street driving all that doesn't really play a factor.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #51
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

Since about 95% of the world population is not from USA, M5 F10 costs from $150,000 to $400,000 in other countries, and 550i is about half of that cost. You guys are so lucky you can write that "M5 is a 100K car!" underlining that it's expensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #52
singularity
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Agree. The latest Quattroporte is a pretty poor car in my opinion. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Same with the Rapide.

The Flying Spur Speed is attractive, but too big.
So when considering alternative performance sedans, you wouldn't touch Maserati and Aston Martin with a bargepole, while actually finding Bentley attractive?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #53
crl8474
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

This is interesting to me. I have a 535 and recently bought a set of M5 M343 wheels from a fellow member - not because I'm trying to make people think that my car is an M5 but because I simply like the way the wheels look. I hated the factory m-sport wheels and looked at just about every aftermarket option but couldn't find anything that I liked better. Does that make me a wanna be? I don't think so and candidly don't care. I love the way the car looks and the new/used wheels are forged and should hold up much better on the pothole-filled streets I drive on everyday (I bent two 351s in a month). I'm planning on a mild drop via ACS springs because the wheel gap is ridiculous but that's about it.

By the way, I have a 535 because I drive 25k miles a year and could never justify the maintenance and fuel cost of the M5. I can certainly afford it (paid cash for the 535) but it just doesn't make sense given the circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #54
Seattle135is
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 SL 55 AMg  [0.00]
2007 Porsche 997 Turbo  [0.00]
I'm planning on a mild drop via ACS springs because the wheel gap is ridiculous but that's about it.

And I suppose you doing a drop to get away from the SUV-type gap on the M5 to look like a regular sports sedan???
2013 135is - LeMans Blue/Gray
2003 M5 (56k miles) - CB/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #55
NlckyBlack
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: Too many cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUN View Post
Same could be said about M drivers, I could never understand when people mod their new cars. Putting those 20-21 inch rims and lowering perfectly ballanced suspension. At the end of it all it's still a sedan or coupe and wont look anything like moded 458 or even Z06 now those with proper set up and mods look so aggressive.
So a new 458 or Z06 don't have a perfectly ballanced suspension?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #56
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by crl8474 View Post
This is interesting to me. I have a 535 and recently bought a set of M5 M343 wheels from a fellow member - not because I'm trying to make people think that my car is an M5 but because I simply like the way the wheels look. I hated the factory m-sport wheels and looked at just about every aftermarket option but couldn't find anything that I liked better. Does that make me a wanna be? I don't think so and candidly don't care. I love the way the car looks and the new/used wheels are forged and should hold up much better on the pothole-filled streets I drive on everyday (I bent two 351s in a month). I'm planning on a mild drop via ACS springs because the wheel gap is ridiculous but that's about it.

By the way, I have a 535 because I drive 25k miles a year and could never justify the maintenance and fuel cost of the M5. I can certainly afford it (paid cash for the 535) but it just doesn't make sense given the circumstances.
I don't think that is necessarily the tone of this conversation. There are people who put M badges, M bumpers, etc. on the cars.

Frankly, I agree with you wholeheartedly and it also wouldn't bother me if someone put every M piece they could find on their car and painted it an M color. Why in the world should that have ANY impact on ANYONE except the car owner. Really, we are going to get all bent out of shape because of something that somebody does that has nothing to do with us? How silly. Humility is a very good quality in a person. If we listen to that stupid little voice in our heads saying "that person is an idiot" or "he doesn't deserve to have his car look like this because he didn't spend $100K" then we should think about who really has the issues.

Things only have the meaning that we attach to them.

Smiles everyone smiles!

But dang I hate those "Coexist" bumper stickers!-hahahahahaha!

Last edited by ColdList; 03-03-2013 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #57
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
I don;t think that is necessarily the tone of this conversation. There are people who put M badges, M bumpers, etc. on the cars.

Frankly, I agree with you wholeheartedly and it also wouldn't bother me if someone put every M piece they could find on their car and painted it an M color. Why in the world should that have ANY impact on ANYONE except the car owner. Really, we are going to get all bent out of shape because of something that somebody does that has nothing to do with us. How silly. Humility is a very good quality in a person. If we listen to that stupid little voice in our heads saying "that person is an idiot" or "he doesn't deserve to have his car look like this because he didn't spend $100K" then we should think about who really has the issues.

Things only have the meaning that we attach to them.

Smiles everyone smiles!

But dang I hate those "Coeist" bumper stickers!-hahahahahaha!
Well said sir. One mans cars is another mans dream, and that dream can turn into greatness. Be careful who you make fun of as they can be your boss(:
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #58
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
Since about 95% of the world population is not from USA, M5 F10 costs from $150,000 to $400,000 in other countries, and 550i is about half of that cost. You guys are so lucky you can write that "M5 is a 100K car!" underlining that it's expensive.
We are very lucky. No doubt.
      03-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #59
Die Wolfe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5///M

Just stumbled across this thread and it has "snobbish" undertones IMO. Joking about how one person can only afford a $70k car versus a $100k+ car is just pathetic. My wife bought a 2012 535i and I bought myself a 2013 X5M. I mildly modded her car for maybe an extra $2k (Yes, debadged) and we both know it's not an "M5." Anyway, this thread just further perpetuates the stereotype of a BMW owner. Sad.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #60
singularity
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Wolfe View Post
Just stumbled across this thread and it has "snobbish" undertones IMO. Joking about how one person can only afford a $70k car versus a $100k+ car is just pathetic. My wife bought a 2012 535i and I bought myself a 2013 X5M. I mildly modded her car for maybe an extra $2k (Yes, debadged) and we both know it's not an "M5." Anyway, this thread just further perpetuates the stereotype of a BMW owner. Sad.
I agree. It's also important to never forget that hundreds of millions of people worldwide don't have money for any car, for whom a 5 series is a dream.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #61
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

It's clear that not everybody can afford an M car, but also not everybody really need an M car...
It's good to have more options from where to choose, considering here M Performance models (M135i might be the best option for enthusiasts with a lower budget, but also a very good DD)!
There is also another category interested in an economical car, but with an aggressive look and better dynamics so M Sport models are the best solution!
After a while we want more from our current non M cars so different stages of upgrades are the better option...
For sure not everybody have a good taste so these forums must inspire them into a good way
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #62
Falcao
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUN View Post
Same could be said about M drivers, I could never understand when people mod their new cars. Putting those 20-21 inch rims and lowering perfectly ballanced suspension. At the end of it all it's still a sedan or coupe and wont look anything like moded 458 or even Z06 now those with proper set up and mods look so aggressive.

I disagree to a point. M engineers designed suspension and chassis most time for compromise between comfort and luxury. Reasonable suspension drop with stiffer springs and anti sway bars significantly reduces body roll and better tire compound improves handling albeit with almost same comfort levels as stock done correctly.

Drive E60 with eibach, anti-sways and come back to tell me it is not night and day difference between stock. Sure some love the love look and feel of stock but for some of us that want that extra performance, i see nothing wrong so long as it is not slammed look and overboard. Of course E60 will not approach cornering Gs or even put in same track time as 458 or Z06 but then again, those cars cannot carry 5 passengers and log a family around on long trips either. To me, M has always been a car that performs several tasks and does it well not to perfection but does it well. That is enough for most of us.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #63
whiteM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
Nobody tries to make an M car into an exotic. People mod M cars to their individual likings. Not everyone wants an exotic. Try driving one everyday and see how you feel.
exactly i have a lambo and thats sometimes too much of a production, m5 is daily car and sadly/luckily depending on the day they're equally thrilling, both very fast.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #64
BMWdrmz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW's

For me it came down to needing xdrive. While I think with a decent set of snow tires the M5 would have met my needs, the wife wasn't buying it. She hated driving the M3 in the winter with snow tires. Since cars in my household are community property, had to compromise. Now I will not be sinking $10K into this car when it was about 80K to begin with. However, I do enjoy personalizing my cars, and would have done the same had I bought the M5. A couple thousand for more some additional power and a nice set of wheels and tires I can justify. But certainly agree, people that buy non-M cars and spend tons of money for pseudo M conversions is just crazy.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #65
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

I'm like 21K in mods on my M6 and I haven't done any suspension or tune lol. I must be crazy. I did the same to my 550 and it looked amazing.. so do all these mod companies have it all wrong by selling and providing parts for our cars? What about m-fest, sema and the local meet? Do we all go to these events to see stock cars??
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #66
BMWdrmz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter5179 View Post
I'm like 21K in mods on my M6 and I haven't done any suspension or tune lol. I must be crazy. I did the same to my 550 and it looked amazing.. so do all these mod companies have it all wrong by selling and providing parts for our cars? What about m-fest, sema and the local meet? Do we all go to these events to see stock cars??
Not at all, it's nice to see someone creative take on their car. As far as how much money you spend, we'll that a personal choice. My only point was if you don't have a M, why spend more than it would cost to buy a M modifying a non-M to be a M knock off. As an example, I met a guy that had a E60 528. He wanted an E60 M5. Instead of just selling the 528 and taking that money and buying the M and doing some tasteful mods to that, he spent almost north of 30K building his 528 into a M5 clone with the badges to boot. It really looked the part except it didn't have the M5 power train ( no V10 and no SMG). So at the end of this adventure he had a nice looking M5 look alike that was worth no more than the 528 he started with. I'm all for modding, I've yet to keep a car stock that I've owned
For the record, I think your cars looked great.
Appreciate 0