M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

09-24-2015, 12:13 PM   #1
frisky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M5 Individual

Post-Delivery Frozen Paint Protection Plan

So Im picking up my frozen paint car on Oct 10. I dont plan on even going 1 mile after delivery before applying paint protection etc.

I've already bought two items:
1. Swissvax Opaque Discovery Kit. I'll be waxing the car right after delivery whilst all the tourists look and laugh at me for being so anal.
2. Opti-Glass Coating for the windshield. Although I need to make sure a moron novice like me can in fact apply that without proper shop machines and equipment.

Anything else I should look into? What about wheel protection?

Thanks!
f.
2016 ///M5 Individual | Frozen Cashmere Silver Metallic | Amaro Brown Full Leather w/ Custom Special Order White Contrast Stitching | Piano Black Trim | Custom Headliner | Competition Package w/ 601M wheels | Executive Package | Drivers Assistance Package | Bang & Olufsen |
European Delivery: October 10 2015 [Pictures here]
@friskygeek
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 03:42 PM   #2
Lerxst M4
Command Sergeant Major of the Army
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I really like Dr. Beasley's Matte final finish for day to day upkeep. As far as protection I use the BMW Matte wax.
2008 E90 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 03:12 PM   #3
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I would not recommend the Swissvax Opaque Wax. The rest of their opaque products are great and I use them.

For paint protection, I would suggest either Dr Beasley's sealant or Nanolex Matte Paint sealant. Both will provide you with at least a year worth of wax-like protection without adding any gloss.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
frisky
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I would not recommend the Swissvax Opaque Wax. The rest of their opaque products are great and I use them.

For paint protection, I would suggest either Dr Beasley's sealant or Nanolex Matte Paint sealant. Both will provide you with at least a year worth of wax-like protection without adding any gloss.

Thanks! I thought about using the Dr Beasley's sealant. Good to know its got the 'stealth.pilot seal of approval!' Just ordered it for when my car gets stateside. :-)

f.
2016 ///M5 Individual | Frozen Cashmere Silver Metallic | Amaro Brown Full Leather w/ Custom Special Order White Contrast Stitching | Piano Black Trim | Custom Headliner | Competition Package w/ 601M wheels | Executive Package | Drivers Assistance Package | Bang & Olufsen |
@friskygeek
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 10:46 AM   #5
frisky
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxst M5 View Post
I really like Dr. Beasley's Matte final finish for day to day upkeep. As far as protection I use the BMW Matte wax.
Another vote for Dr Beasley's. Bought! Thanks!
f.
@friskygeek

Last edited by frisky; 10-21-2015 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #6
frisky
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

What are your thoughts on using Dr Beasley's sealant or getting an Xpel clear wrap done on the car like this guy: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpos...47&postcount=7

f.
@friskygeek
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 06:19 PM   #7
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisky
Quote:

What are your thoughts on using Dr Beasley's sealant or getting an Xpel clear wrap done on the car like this guy: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpos...47&postcount=7

f.
I have both. I have the XPEL Matte wrap on the front end - hood, fenders, bumper, mirrors, rockers, rear bumper. This is a must to prevent chips.

In addition I have sealant on the whole car including the wrap.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 07:56 AM   #8
frisky
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have both. I have the XPEL Matte wrap on the front end - hood, fenders, bumper, mirrors, rockers, rear bumper. This is a must to prevent chips.

In addition I have sealant on the whole car including the wrap.

Great! I'll be doing the same but wanted to hear it form the expert. :-) Does the "feel" or look of the frozen paint change at all with the xpel wrap?

f.
@friskygeek
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 10:59 AM   #9
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisky View Post
Great! I'll be doing the same but wanted to hear it form the expert. :-) Does the "feel" or look of the frozen paint change at all with the xpel wrap?

f.
Bear in mind that my car has sealant applied to both the bra and the paint. When you run your finger across it they feel very similar. I think the bra feels slightly smoother, but it is very subtle. I had to run my hands several times to develop a perception of a difference.

In appearance - it looks the same except at very shallow angles. So if you look at the finish with your eyes just a little higher than the surface you will notice a difference - it will look slightly smoother or more satin. This is most evident when looking at the hood from the driver's seat. You will notice it is a little more satin.

However from most viewing angles you don't notice it. In fact I am the only person who notices it. Even the guys at the dealer didn't notice there was a clearbra till I told them, and then it was a thing they marveled at.

From my point of view this slight trade-off in appearance is worth it. The car still looks factory, there is not difference in tone. And there is no difference in gloss from most angles. It photographs as if it has a consistent appearance across the entire car. That slight increase in satin at some angles is the cost of not having any paint chips (which on this car would appear as black spots if I didn't have a clear bra).

If you have concerns, you could ask them to do one area first and live with it for a few days before deciding whether to get rid of it or expand the coverage. Maybe do the door mirror, or one rocker panel, or just the front bumper to start. I did the whole car the very day I took delivery, because I hate paint chips and I have a high trust in my clear bra guy (he's top notch and does all the work for Ferrari and Bentley around here).
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 08:52 AM   #10
frisky
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Bear in mind that my car has sealant applied to both the bra and the paint. When you run your finger across it they feel very similar. I think the bra feels slightly smoother, but it is very subtle. I had to run my hands several times to develop a perception of a difference.

In appearance - it looks the same except at very shallow angles. So if you look at the finish with your eyes just a little higher than the surface you will notice a difference - it will look slightly smoother or more satin. This is most evident when looking at the hood from the driver's seat. You will notice it is a little more satin.

However from most viewing angles you don't notice it. In fact I am the only person who notices it. Even the guys at the dealer didn't notice there was a clearbra till I told them, and then it was a thing they marveled at.

From my point of view this slight trade-off in appearance is worth it. The car still looks factory, there is not difference in tone. And there is no difference in gloss from most angles. It photographs as if it has a consistent appearance across the entire car. That slight increase in satin at some angles is the cost of not having any paint chips (which on this car would appear as black spots if I didn't have a clear bra).

If you have concerns, you could ask them to do one area first and live with it for a few days before deciding whether to get rid of it or expand the coverage. Maybe do the door mirror, or one rocker panel, or just the front bumper to start. I did the whole car the very day I took delivery, because I hate paint chips and I have a high trust in my clear bra guy (he's top notch and does all the work for Ferrari and Bentley around here).
Thanks for that detailed explanation. Makes me feel at ease knowing that the difference is totally negligible. I also plan on getting it done the day I take re-delivery, which looks like around after thanksgiving. I already have a quote for the full hood, full fenders (wrapped edges), mirrors, front bumper and will also include rocker panels as well.

THanks again!
f.
@friskygeek
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 02:29 PM   #11
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

On a 2 year lease, and this not being my daily driver, I am debating if I should do the xpel wrap. How much does it usually cost?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 04:00 PM   #12
frisky
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
On a 2 year lease, and this not being my daily driver, I am debating if I should do the xpel wrap. How much does it usually cost?

I was quoted $1800 installed on full hood, full fenders (wrapped edges), mirrors, front bumper, and rocker panels.

For me, its more about looks of the car - even if its a lease. I cant stand paint chips or non-factory look. Thats why I think its worth it. :-)

f.
@friskygeek
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 04:35 PM   #13
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I used Swissvax opaque wax with zero issues, I'd recommend it.
      12-10-2015, 10:00 PM   #14
DesertEagle50
Admiral General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 FB

Garage List
2013 BMW M5 F10  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
Same here. I love Swissvax opaque.
      12-31-2015, 09:14 AM   #15
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

I did the Dr. Bealey sealant a few weeks ago. I feel like in some angles the car has more of a shine than it used to. I am somewhat regretting it.

It could just be my eyes playing tricks on me, but it just seems like in some angles/lighting it doesn't look as matte anymore.

EDIT-----

Actually, I think I am wrong. If I look at the below picture from when I first got the car, it seems like there is still a glossy look on the doors at this angle.

Last edited by dsad1; 12-31-2015 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 02:11 PM   #16
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I did the Dr. Bealey sealant a few weeks ago. I feel like in some angles the car has more of a shine than it used to. I am somewhat regretting it.

It could just be my eyes playing tricks on me, but it just seems like in some angles/lighting it doesn't look as matte anymore.

EDIT-----

Actually, I think I am wrong. If I look at the below picture from when I first got the car, it seems like there is still a glossy look on the doors at this angle.

I am convinced the Dr Beasley sealant does not add any matte. The car is meant to have a slight sheen. The Swissvax one does add a very slight amount of sheen. This means swissvax is good to use if your paint has dulled, but if its a new frozen car, I would avoid swissvax.

My favorite sealants for this car are:
Nanolex Matte Sealant
Dr Beasley's Matte Sealant
Permanon Supermatte

The Permanon does not last as long as the others, but it is the easiest to apply and is a good thing to apply in between details (you just spray it onto the car and rinse off. No need to work in.

I used Nanolex when I bought mine, Dr Beasley's at one year, and am getting Dr Beasley's done again today at 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 02:06 PM   #17
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I am convinced the Dr Beasley sealant does not add any matte. The car is meant to have a slight sheen. The Swissvax one does add a very slight amount of sheen. This means swissvax is good to use if your paint has dulled, but if its a new frozen car, I would avoid swissvax.

Nanolex Matte Sealant
Permanon Supermatte

The Permanon does not last as long as the others, but it is the easiest to apply and is a good thing to apply in between details (you just spray it onto the car and rinse off. No need to work in.

I used Nanolex when I bought mine, Dr Beasley's at one year, and am getting Dr Beasley's done again today at 2 years.

Now I am starting to think there is more shine, I just don't remember my last frozen car being this glossy. I am going to get a detailer to look at it next week. I guess at this point, even if there is more gloss, there is not much I can do about it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ddvlhewulw...02.46.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5pl2u5nuf...03.17.jpg?dl=0
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #18
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1
Quote:

Nanolex Matte Sealant
Permanon Supermatte

Now I am starting to think there is more shine, I just don't remember my last frozen car being this glossy. I am going to get a detailer to look at it next week. I guess at this point, even if there is more gloss, there is not much I can do about it.

You can call Beasley and ask how to remove it. I would imagine dish detergent would do the job.

However was your previous matte car a different color?

I have noticed that the darker matte colors have more sheen. Dark blue and black are noticeably satin rather than matte.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 09:24 AM   #19
frisky
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Thats weird. I put on Dr Beasley's sealant on the entire car before and after I installed the XPel coating and Im not seeing any noticeable sheen. Although of course you will see some shine when viewed at an angle. The frozen / matte coating doesnt absorb light at angles as it does when viewed straight. So that might be some of it... Also - if you buff too hard it might also result in the shine effect ...

f.
@friskygeek
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 10:14 AM   #20
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You can call Beasley and ask how to remove it. I would imagine dish detergent would do the job.

I have noticed that the darker matte colors have more sheen. Dark blue and black are noticeably satin rather than matte.
Yeah it was frozen bronze, it did reflect the light differently.

I am going to get the detailers opinion, because I could just be imaging things. It doesn't help that the car is in the garage too. Waiting for a sunny day to take it out, which will probably be tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 11:53 AM   #21
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1
Quote:

Yeah it was frozen bronze, it did reflect the light differently.

I am going to get the detailers opinion, because I could just be imaging things. It doesn't help that the car is in the garage too. Waiting for a sunny day to take it out, which will probably be tomorrow.
Yeah it's interesting. I just had Beasley applied to my car this week and I don't sense any gloss. In fact if anything I think it is too matte!

I am going to add some permanon to make it a bit more satin.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 05:41 PM   #22
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

I've had two Frozen Bronze 6er's and I settled on Swissvax Opaque.

The first car (640i GC Individual that was used as a display car for a brief time) had Permanon applied. I hated it and in fact, it was one of the reasons I got rid of it. There were a few spots where it "ran" and nothing would remove those unsightly blemishes. After numerous attempts (including having Paul Dalton take a crack at it), gave up in frustration. From that point forward, I avoided anything permanent or semi-permanent out of fear of having history repeat itself. I've also seen the others, such as Dr. Beasley's, applied to cars with similar finishes. They all will slightly change the characteristics of the color. Unless it's a matte wrap, or a matte sprayed on coating, simple physics will cause this subtle change. One must keep in mind, the Frozen paints are truly satin an not matte. The base coats are a metallic or pearl color with a gloss, then matte clear applied. End result is a satin color.

Quite honestly the fewer washes, the better frozen holds up and given its frosty clear, it doesn't look dingy as often as a gloss car. If for peace of mind alone, try the Swissvax and give it some time. At least with it, the product can be easily removed.
Appreciate 0