BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
Orient blue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine M5

Road Trip!

Hello everybody! As the title states its time for a road trip in the M...Boston to Florida! Can't wait to escape the cold of the northeast with a winter that just won't quit. The wife and I will be leaving on the 12th of March starting our journey South. I've had my M5 for 10 months now and somehow have only managed to put only 2500 miles on her soooo sad. We're planning on a 2 day trip, but not sure where we will be stopping-maybe South Carolina but who knows. Were going to spend a couple days in Orlando(I haven't been for 20 years) then down to Naples to visit my parents for a week or so. May venture down to Miami for a day or two as well but were kind of playing it by ear.
So a few questions to my fellow enthusiasts-my biggest concern is the lack of a spare tire. Should I find an extra front wheel and tire and throw it in the tunk? I don't know if I really want to lug a tire around and have to keep our suitcase in the back seat, but a flat in the middle of the trip would really suck! Thoughts?
Also, anybody have any good ideas for fun "scenic" routes? Any cool places to stop along the way? I've never done this drive before but I'm definitely excited! So if anybody sees a black sapphire M5 with Mass plates, tinted windows, and e race roaring by all means flash your lights beep your horn and give me a wave!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

space saver spare tire kit ... good idea

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/opt...re_wheel_kits#

http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/parts/info/Compact%20spare-
wheel%20system/36112159862/

+ a bottle or two of engine oil as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #3
YianniM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2011 335i  [10.00]
Take me with you i dont want to be in boston anymore lol. have a good trip
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

There is no space saving spare wheel combo that will clear the brakes. I would get an inexpensive aftermarket wheel and tire combo to throw in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

I am not going to be a slave to the risk of a flat tire.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #6
M5KRZI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M - Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient blue View Post
Hello everybody! As the title states its time for a road trip in the M...Boston to Florida! Can't wait to escape the cold of the northeast with a winter that just won't quit. The wife and I will be leaving on the 12th of March starting our journey South. I've had my M5 for 10 months now and somehow have only managed to put only 2500 miles on her soooo sad. We're planning on a 2 day trip, but not sure where we will be stopping-maybe South Carolina but who knows. Were going to spend a couple days in Orlando(I haven't been for 20 years) then down to Naples to visit my parents for a week or so. May venture down to Miami for a day or two as well but were kind of playing it by ear.
So a few questions to my fellow enthusiasts-my biggest concern is the lack of a spare tire. Should I find an extra front wheel and tire and throw it in the tunk? I don't know if I really want to lug a tire around and have to keep our suitcase in the back seat, but a flat in the middle of the trip would really suck! Thoughts?
Also, anybody have any good ideas for fun "scenic" routes? Any cool places to stop along the way? I've never done this drive before but I'm definitely excited! So if anybody sees a black sapphire M5 with Mass plates, tinted windows, and e race roaring by all means flash your lights beep your horn and give me a wave!
that's awesome!! i'll be doing the same at the end of July - NYC to Daytona. i've heard M Driving school could be kinda fun...maybe you guys can get into the session at the end of March on your way back...

have a good/safe trip.
      02-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #7
Orient blue
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the replies! I'm on the hunt for a wheel/tire. Maybe I'll call tire rack and see if they have something that will def clear the caliper. I have a set of schnitzers from my e39 I had to try. Not even with a 2 inch spacer lol!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #8
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
When is the last time you actually had a flat tire? Is it really worth it to find a wheel/tire combo that will fit and lug it both ways of the trip?

If I were doing the trip, I would just take the chance and rely on the SOS button if something actually happened. You're traveling on a major artery right? or are you planning a lot of back road excursions?

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 06:22 PM   #9
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

I agree with Gnaluzu.

I drove over 6,000 miles across the entire country over every kind of road imaginable. I never worried once. If anything happens just hit the SOS Button and let BMW Assist do its job. Not a big deal unless you are on super tight time constraints.

One thing I do recommend though is to bring along some Quick Detailer to get the bugs off the front bumper and clean the windshield. On my entire trip of 11 days and 6,000 miles, my M5 was always clean. So no excuses! Lol!

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 07:22 PM   #10
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I agree with Gnaluzu.

I drove over 6,000 miles across the entire country over every kind of road imaginable. I never worried once. If anything happens just hit the SOS Button and let BMW Assist do its job. Not a big deal unless you are on super tight time constraints.

One thing I do recommend though is to bring along some Quick Detailer to get the bugs off the front bumper and clean the windshield. On my entire trip of 11 days and 6,000 miles, my M5 was always clean. So no excuses! Lol!
I totally agree. I have done 3 trips NY to LA and back. Twice with my E60 M5 and once with my E46 M3. No spare at any time. I did not worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 09:36 PM   #11
6spdterror
Route Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 ///M6 Gran Coupe

Ive done 2 road trips so far since i have my M5, one to Boston to visit my sister and another to Philly. Only problem is....my wife INSISTED that we drive the X5. She says we dont have to worry about potholes, cops, bad weather and gas mileage!
Next road trip will definitely be in the ///M tho! Enjoy and be safe!
04 Honda Pilot (everyday car)
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 04:50 AM   #12
Orient blue
Private First Class
Rep

I can't remember the last time I have gotten a flat, however the as I was writing this thread yesterday the wife called me to tell me she had a flat in her car :/ so that prompted me to call tire rack and buy a cheap wheel with a super sport on it. Kind of funny the tire costs so much more than the wheel lol, but I'd rather have it and not need it than rely on a two truck to show up and bail me out.
As far as keeping the bugs off the car rpi I've got that covered too. Mini detail kit is already packed up in the trunk. I'm a clean freak when it comes to my cars especially so that was the first thing I thought of.
My wife was really pushing me to take her cayenne gts, but I really want to enjoy the M and stretch it's legs a little down the east coast. Don't get me wrong the porsche is an amazing vehicle to drive but I feel like the M is just a little more comfortable for out journey. My other option was to take my sl55 but with zero trunk space it was am easy decision. Also, that car is an 04 and in its day it was pretty well sorted technology wise, it doesn't even compare to the goodies in the M.
So I guess all that's left is to pick a route and enjoy the ride!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 07:08 AM   #13
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

That sounds amazing. As Lebanon is a small country, it takes about 3 hours to go from one end to the other. We don't need the spare tire here.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #14
v12
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I agree with Gnaluzu.

skip the spare tire (and save yourself the 3 hours wait) but don't forget the quick detailer and the microfiber cloth. Nice going D!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #15
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Orientblue, remove all Boston Red Sox stickers, banners, anything inside the car before entering New York. LOL Have a good time and put the radar on.
Appreciate 0