BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Extended leather question

How much of the doors and glove compartment are leather if you opt for the standard Merino leather that costs 0? I assume all the black areas are plastic and they are the cheap plastic material, not the one you can find in the center console piece (basically same plastic that can be found in 3 series, etc)?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig
How much of the doors and glove compartment are leather if you opt for the standard Merino leather that costs 0? I assume all the black areas are plastic and they are the cheap plastic material, not the one you can find in the center console piece (basically same plastic that can be found in 3 series, etc)?
It's leatherette - imitation leather (plastic with texture).
      03-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
RealStig
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
delete
?

You mean its not leatherette?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

since the app won't upload any photos here's a link to photo
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/att...beforemod2.jpg
      03-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
RealStig
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
since the app won't upload any photos here's a link to photo
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/att...beforemod2.jpg
That is not regular extended leather though, it is individual extended. I want to know about the standard leather such as sakhir orange in extended form.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #6
m5hadoop
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 F10 M5 CP

RealStig, just a friendly suggestion, you might want to use the search function a bit more. The attached sheet can be found in lots of different threads. It should answer your leather coverage questions. Also, the topic of HK vs B&O has been covered a ton of times.
Attached Images

Last edited by m5hadoop; 03-04-2014 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: A more friendlier approach
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I thought you were also asking about what leatherette was.

In terms of exactly what is covered, the chart above tells you what's leather and what's plastic
      03-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #8
RealStig
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5hadoop View Post
RealStig, just a friendly suggestion, you might want to use the search function a bit more. The attached sheet can be found in lots of different threads. It should answer your leather coverage questions. Also, the topic of HK vs B&O has been covered a ton of times.
I read this before but couldn't figure out a) what the glove compartment material is and b) which one of these words correspond to the cheap plastic that's used on the dashboard. It's hard to understand which area is called the actual center console around the DCT knob, not the one below on the sides.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #9
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

i have just come from an Audi RS4 and I have to admit, the first time I sat in an m5 with extended leather, I was quite disappointed with the quality of the plastics...Just felt very cheap and nasty compared to my last Audi anyway

Different story with the full leather as all the plastic bits that I refer to are pretty much covered in leather and there is the Alcantara roof lining
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #10
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5hadoop View Post
I read this before but couldn't figure out a) what the glove compartment material is and b) which one of these words correspond to the cheap plastic that's used on the dashboard. It's hard to understand which area is called the actual center console around the DCT knob, not the one below on the sides.
The cheap plastic is called foil-grain plastic.

The glove compartment is foil grain plastic.

The stuff that looks like leather in the middle of the doors is actually vinyl. The only leather is on seats and center armrest.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #11
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru
i have just come from an Audi RS4 and I have to admit, the first time I sat in an m5 with extended leather, I was quite disappointed with the quality of the plastics...Just felt very cheap and nasty compared to my last Audi anyway

Different story with the full leather as all the plastic bits that I refer to are pretty much covered in leather and there is the Alcantara roof lining
Agree. I think the base interior looks really cheap. That sort of thing may pass in Europe, but in the US, even Toyota and Chevy are replacing cheap plastic with synthetic or real leather with stitching on the dash.
Appreciate 0