BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-30-2017, 11:40 PM   #1
Redrckt135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5 & 17 X5M

Got stopped coming back on the cross island tonight doing 99 in a 50. Wide open road, no cars around me, just having a little fun, I was not street racing or doing any dumb shit. From what I'm reading online there is no fighting any 5 borough tickets. Anyone have any recommendations on how to go about fighting this ticket or a fantastic lawyer they can refer to help me out here? Can I pay my way out of this lol? Any advice is highly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 12:41 AM   #2
jairomvp182
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC

get a lawyer for sure, dont even try fighting it yourself
11 E92 335xi 12.5@113MPH,362whp/438wtq GONE http://www.youtube.com/c/jairomvp
Instagram:Jairomvp
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 12:45 AM   #3
Redrckt135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jairomvp182 View Post
get a lawyer for sure, dont even try fighting it yourself
Definitely not going there myself. Just hoping someone can recommend a very good lawyer that has some pull who can handle this for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 02:56 AM   #4
jairomvp182
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrckt135 View Post
Definitely not going there myself. Just hoping someone can recommend a very good lawyer that has some pull who can handle this for me.
i hope you get some help, good luck bother!
11 E92 335xi 12.5@113MPH,362whp/438wtq GONE http://www.youtube.com/c/jairomvp
Instagram:Jairomvp
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 05:51 AM   #5
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

U cany fight a ticket in the 5 boroughs?? That blows. If true
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 06:16 AM   #6
Reemas Dreemas
Private
Rep
Drives: NICE

lucky he let you go..... the most a lawyer is going to do is push the date back a few times hoping the cop won't show up. its worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
LI-M5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:
fighting this ticket or a fantastic lawyer they can refer to help me out here? Can I pay my way out of this lol? Any advice is highly appreciated.

Yes , call Jan Goldman 516-873-8587

tell him Neil referred ya ,

been use him for 20+ years and my last 2 were 1st a 146 ina 50 w wrekless drive (got locked and beat up) along w 9 other moving violations and shit

then about 2 mo's after he made that one go away (nvr even once lost my lisc through all this over a year) i gotta 89-55 and i was sure to lose my lisc and bamm bamnm he did his magic and i skated through that one !

whether you use him or not w your speed i would not walk in alone , cause they will fine the balls out've you and suspend your lisc anything 30 over is a suspend for a mimium of 6mos!

Neil
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2017, 11:23 AM   #8
LI-M5
Lieutenant
Rep

yes you are correct , there is no fighting tixx in the borough's!

Not w out someone that know's the shit like the back of his hand !
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 12:16 PM   #9
Redrckt135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-M5 View Post
Quote:
fighting this ticket or a fantastic lawyer they can refer to help me out here? Can I pay my way out of this lol? Any advice is highly appreciated.

been use him for 20+ years and my last 2 were 1st a 146 ina 50 w wrekless drive (got locked and beat up) along w 9 other moving violations and shit

then about 2 mo's after he made that one go away (nvr even once lost my lisc through all this over a year) i gotta 89-55 and i was sure to lose my lisc and bamm bamnm he did his magic and i skated through that one !

whether you use him or not w your speed i would not walk in alone , cause they will fine the balls out've you and suspend your lisc anything 30 over is a suspend for a mimium of 6mos!

Neil
Lmfao I got referred to him by my friend nick this morning. I set up an appointment with him tomorrow at 7:30 in garden city. I woke up sick to my stomach this morning thinking about this, but after the referral from nick this morning and your post now I'm feeling like a million bucks again!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 01:56 PM   #10
LI-M5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Lmfao I got referred to him by my friend nick this morning. I set up an appointment with him tomorrow at 7:30 in garden city. I woke up sick to my stomach this morning thinking about this, but after the referral from nick this morning and your post now I'm feeling like a million bucks again!
well he's def the man so rest assured !

In term's of that million buck's lmfaoooo , be prepared to hand him a good chunk of that lol The wreckless drive , speed , tixx cost me well over 10k and not to mention i paid on my Amex for 2 serious steak dinnz for the dist atty's and the judge !

Bring cash w ya , least 1k for retainer oh oh oh and be prepared to not see him till like 907pm if your appt is 730pm think of this post and just lol.. he usually has a few nice girls working in the office to look at while waiting for his crazzy ass ! ask him about me and my speed's i can attest if i still have a lisc he's an amazzing atty! i broke the office record by 20mph and that too the record was held by a street bike hahah i did it in my m5

Neil
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 03:26 PM   #11
BDWonder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-M5 View Post

Neil
Saul Goodman? what?
Im glad folks like Saul Goodman are out there, fighting for us! Heck yes man!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 03:50 PM   #12
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

You may be able to fight the speeding ticket with the following arguments; although they are colorable legal arguments, they may not certainly absolve you of the per se liability you have been exposed to strictly. Speeding is a strict liability offense, meaning there is no blame shifting at the outset of the legal proceeding, but may be shifted during the hearing.

1. digital error; if your speedometer is digital, you may argue that it is need of recalibration, (I believe there is a setting in the instrument cluster that shows the digital number of your speed; but, analog speedometers govern speed measurement; not sure about a combination -analog with digital output- of such speed measurements)
2. community service; character of good reputation or behavior may reduce or absolve your offense;
3. driver's education; subsequent drivers education and safety classes may help you reduce your fine, or lead to dismissal in conjunction with the said above protocols;
4. exigent circumstances; although you may be subjected to perjury if you lie under the oath, if circumstance revolving around your speeding validated such violation, then you may be able to justify your liability by claiming "necessity" -- cases like "hospital emergency; rushing to a family member", or "medical condition" (kidney disease which requires you to pee often for your health), or "fleeting danger" -- cases where you "reasonably" suspect that you're being followed and "reasonably" believe your life is in imminent threat of serious bodily harm or offensive contact;
5. error; this claim requires proper documentation, inclusive of noting the model number and cross referencing this number onto the citation. Highway Patrol will be required to present evidence regarding the method of "clocking", systems such as "VASCAR" or "Lidar/Radar" have been shown to be subject to officer discretion, technical error, or abuse. In such instances an argument can be made (citing: People of New York v. Perlman) where an officer was not properly trained, or conditions surrounding the radar threw off the speed clock, or issues such as "Shadow Error" or "VSS Error" can be attributed toward the alleged offender's conduct.

Three Important Issues:
1. you've already "admitted" to going 99 in a 50, and upon the officer's questioning, if you responded in the affirmative, then this statement will most likely be on the citation/summary of officer's log; and, the surrounding circumstances (traffic flow, vehicles in vicinity etc) are attributable towards making an argument (in your favor) that your conduct was not out of the ordinary/extreme-outrageous in relevance to the other cars around you -- not present here as you state, "...Wide open road, no cars around me, just having a little fun..."
2. this information contained herein is not legal advice, nor should it be construed as effective legal counsel. information contained herein is publicly available, and prior to your meeting with your legal representative, it is advised you make yourself aware of the possible arguments that can be made in court. Get counsel -- pro se is never a good idea.
3. I don't necessarily support speeding, nor do I advocate that it's impossible to follow speed limits (in these fantastics beasts) where limits are set for public safety and general welfare. That being said, I speed because "if you ain't first you're last" and I chew Big Red. So, if you don't chew Big Red then F**K you.

Hope you get your ticket issues resolved, and good luck brother.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 04:41 PM   #13
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5

Quote:
Got stopped coming back on the cross island tonight doing 99 in a 50. Wide open road, no cars around me, just having a little fun, I was not street racing or doing any dumb shit. From what I'm reading online there is no fighting any 5 borough tickets. Anyone have any recommendations on how to go about fighting this ticket or a fantastic lawyer they can refer to help me out here? Can I pay my way out of this lol? Any advice is highly appreciated.
I know that road well. I am guessing you don't run any Radar detection.
      01-31-2017, 04:52 PM   #14
Redrckt135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM5NYC View Post
Quote:
I know that road well. I am guessing you don't run any Radar detection.
I have a v1, it did not go off. He was parked perpendicular to the highway, nose facing the road. He started pulling out when I was at still about 500+- feet from him. So I'm going to assume he hit me with laser.

Edit- I didn't know cops in NYC shot laser, always thought it was radar only. Can anyone confirm this?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 05:04 PM   #15
Redrckt135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirkaismyname View Post
You may be able to fight the speeding ticket with the following arguments; although they are colorable legal arguments, they may not certainly absolve you of the per se liability you have been exposed to strictly. Speeding is a strict liability offense, meaning there is no blame shifting at the outset of the legal proceeding, but may be shifted during the hearing.

1. digital error; if your speedometer is digital, you may argue that it is need of recalibration, (I believe there is a setting in the instrument cluster that shows the digital number of your speed; but, analog speedometers govern speed measurement; not sure about a combination -analog with digital output- of such speed measurements)
2. community service; character of good reputation or behavior may reduce or absolve your offense;
3. driver's education; subsequent drivers education and safety classes may help you reduce your fine, or lead to dismissal in conjunction with the said above protocols;
4. exigent circumstances; although you may be subjected to perjury if you lie under the oath, if circumstance revolving around your speeding validated such violation, then you may be able to justify your liability by claiming "necessity" -- cases like "hospital emergency; rushing to a family member", or "medical condition" (kidney disease which requires you to pee often for your health), or "fleeting danger" -- cases where you "reasonably" suspect that you're being followed and "reasonably" believe your life is in imminent threat of serious bodily harm or offensive contact;
5. error; this claim requires proper documentation, inclusive of noting the model number and cross referencing this number onto the citation. Highway Patrol will be required to present evidence regarding the method of "clocking", systems such as "VASCAR" or "Lidar/Radar" have been shown to be subject to officer discretion, technical error, or abuse. In such instances an argument can be made (citing: People of New York v. Perlman) where an officer was not properly trained, or conditions surrounding the radar threw off the speed clock, or issues such as "Shadow Error" or "VSS Error" can be attributed toward the alleged offender's conduct.

Three Important Issues:
1. you've already "admitted" to going 99 in a 50, and upon the officer's questioning, if you responded in the affirmative, then this statement will most likely be on the citation/summary of officer's log; and, the surrounding circumstances (traffic flow, vehicles in vicinity etc) are attributable towards making an argument (in your favor) that your conduct was not out of the ordinary/extreme-outrageous in relevance to the other cars around you -- not present here as you state, "...Wide open road, no cars around me, just having a little fun..."
2. this information contained herein is not legal advice, nor should it be construed as effective legal counsel. information contained herein is publicly available, and prior to your meeting with your legal representative, it is advised you make yourself aware of the possible arguments that can be made in court. Get counsel -- pro se is never a good idea.
3. I don't necessarily support speeding, nor do I advocate that it's impossible to follow speed limits (in these fantastics beasts) where limits are set for public safety and general welfare. That being said, I speed because "if you ain't first you're last" and I chew Big Red. So, if you don't chew Big Red then F**K you.

Hope you get your ticket issues resolved, and good luck brother.
Thank you for the advice, very well written. Thanks for taking the time to write that up.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 06:07 PM   #16
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I have a v1, it did not go off. He was parked perpendicular to the highway, nose facing the road. He started pulling out when I was at still about 500+- feet from him. So I'm going to assume he hit me with laser.

Edit- I didn't know cops in NYC shot laser, always thought it was radar only. Can anyone confirm this?
Yeah, they shoot Laser a lot in the city now. Especially on the highways leading to bridges, before and after. If you were heading back to Jersey, another spot is right after the Throggs Neck bridge heading towards the Cross Bronx. He sits under the overpass and shoots Laser. Been doing that for at least the last 6-7 years.
      01-31-2017, 06:13 PM   #17
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
U cany fight a ticket in the 5 boroughs?? That blows. If true
Yeah. Guilty or Not Guilty, or Dismissed for officer not showing up.( Doesn't really happen anymore cause they get paid "court days" where they schedule all their "stops" for those days) No plea bargaining in the 5 boroughs (NYC)
      01-31-2017, 09:27 PM   #18
Spiro83
Spiro83
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG M5 Comp pack

Jan is the best lawyer I've ever used .. he does work for celebrities. Expensive but worth it!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 12:57 AM   #19
Mpire
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Every NYPD cop shoots Ka band (i don't know if that's radar or laser) and my Beltronics STiR plus detects 100%
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 09:01 AM   #20
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
My recc,...forget the lawyer,...forget the suit and tie,...just go in as a regular guy and throw yourself at the mercy of the court! I mean,...99mph in a 50 mph zone is considered reckless driving!,...and this you know already! The judge won't give a jack about the time of day,...road conditions,...whether there were vehicles ahead of you or behind you. He won't care if the wolf was howling at the moon! All he knows if that you were speeding 49 mph above the posted speed limit! Second,...more the likely, the judge will ask you how do you plead,....and this will be your only opportunity to say something to the court! I suggest something along these lines,....your Honor, I plead guilty and if the court will allow, I'd like to say that I take full responsibility for my actions and apologize to the people and the court for acting so irresponsible!" Then hold your tongue. The best you can hope for is one of the following,...the judge happens to see that your car is an ///M5,....he or she drives a high performance vehicle,....especially,...an ///M5! And that he or she understands you taking a dip onto the wild side and decides to reduce your fine!,...and or points! So,...paying a lawyer will get you what! No much in my opinion!

Here's another angle,...if you're on active duty,...or in the Reserves,...I highly advise you to wear your military uniform to court! It's worth at least a 20 mph reduction!,...and possibly $300 off the fine!

Lastly,...I recommend that you not drive the ///M5 to the courthouse!,...especially if it has a loud exhaust! Just say'n,...and Good Luck!
      02-02-2017, 09:09 AM   #21
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM5NYC View Post
Yeah, they shoot Laser a lot in the city now. Especially on the highways leading to bridges, before and after. If you were heading back to Jersey, another spot is right after the Throggs Neck bridge heading towards the Cross Bronx. He sits under the overpass and shoots Laser. Been doing that for at least the last 6-7 years.

If his radar detector didn't go off,..it was most likely laser,...being that laser has a narrower beam than radar! Radar presents "scatter" and is all over the place! My guest he got hit with laser! Also,...laser is way faster than radar! Even if his detector had given a warning,...it would have been too late! With laser,...the first guy down the chute takes the hit while other motorists behind him gets to continue on! That is,...unless you have a very aggressive officer,...who decides to get ahead of the lead car and pull over as many as possible,...like they do in Florida,...North and South Carolina,...and Georgia!
      02-02-2017, 11:25 AM   #22
Redrckt135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
My recc,...forget the lawyer,...forget the suit and tie,...just go in as a regular guy and throw yourself at the mercy of the court! I mean,...99mph in a 50 mph zone is considered reckless driving!,...and this you know already! The judge won't give a jack about the time of day,...road conditions,...whether there were vehicles ahead of you or behind you. He won't care if the wolf was howling at the moon! All he knows if that you were speeding 49 mph above the posted speed limit! Second,...more the likely, the judge will ask you how do you plead,....and this will be your only opportunity to say something to the court! I suggest something along these lines,....your Honor, I plead guilty and if the court will allow, I'd like to say that I take full responsibility for my actions and apologize to the people and the court for acting so irresponsible!" Then hold your tongue. The best you can hope for is one of the following,...the judge happens to see that your car is an ///M5,....he or she drives a high performance vehicle,....especially,...an ///M5! And that he or she understands you taking a dip onto the wild side and decides to reduce your fine!,...and or points! So,...paying a lawyer will get you what! No much in my opinion!

Here's another angle,...if you're on active duty,...or in the Reserves,...I highly advise you to wear your military uniform to court! It's worth at least a 20 mph reduction!,...and possibly $300 off the fine!

Lastly,...I recommend that you not drive the ///M5 to the courthouse!,...especially if it has a loud exhaust! Just say'n,...and Good Luck!
No lawyer, dress like a slouch, and hope the judge has a passion for fast cars. Why didn't I think of that before I hired a lawyer who clearly is very capable of getting this to all go away?!
Appreciate 0