BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-03-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Going to buy an M5

So I've found the one I want from a BMW approved dealership 200 miles from me..

The price looks reasonable and the spec is high so I think its worth the trip. Car is a 2011 and done just over 20,000 miles...The thing that sets it apart from other used cars at the moment is the fact that it has full leather

Anything specifically I should be looking out for when viewing or test driving or should I just trust the BMW dealership as it is approved and comes with a warranty etc etc

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru View Post

The price looks reasonable and the spec is high so I think its worth the trip. Car is a 2011 and done just over 20,000 miles...The thing that sets it apart from other used cars at the moment is the fact that it has full leather

Anything specifically I should be looking out for when viewing or test driving or should I just trust the BMW dealership as it is approved and comes with a warranty etc etc

Cheers
you mind sending a link? u can PM it to me if you want
cause me and my friend been on search for m5 for him and we might have seen that car, so i can tell you if there is something suspicious about that car

first of all check the paint all over the car, if you know where to look, you can see if it has been painted or not, if you have a detailer friend, would be great to take him with you
make sure it has service pack - very useful
M multifunctional seats - must, i would take them over full extended leather all day!
check all the services been done on time, at 20k miles it should have had gone through at least 2 services (1200miles and 13k miles)
tire thread
how badly seats are worn (side-bolsters especially)
never trust bmw they are here to make you buy
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 05:02 AM   #3
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

Hi mate, its the m5 up at stratstone doncaster...

Dealer has essentially described the car as faultless
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 06:23 AM   #4
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi mate, its the m5 up at stratstone doncaster...

Dealer has essentially described the car as faultless
i found 3 m5's there, none of them have over 20k miles and they are 2012 and 2013...
maybe easier if you send me link
they all have full leather, but you mentioned in OP that 1 of them has full leather (maybe you are confused, as full leather is standard in m5, you can get full extended leather as an option and you can easily spot it on pics, as dashboard will be done in leather)

Last edited by mstmng; 02-04-2014 at 06:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 06:25 AM   #5
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
send me link please
bmw approved new website is very weird, you cannot even do national search
only up to 50miles from city/postcode you enter
and i can't find option to search by dealer, as it used to be before
Checked Strathstone Doncaster website and cannot find M5
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 08:06 AM   #6
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

Cheers
If it were me, I'd get a new M3/550 rather than a used M5 due to maintenance and up keeping costs. Owning an out of warranty M5 for 3-4 years is going to cost a lot more than owning a new M3/550. I know totally different cars and thats all fine. I'm sure you have done your research but a simple brake job is going to cost so much in these cars, your jaw is going to drop when you see the bill. To me it makes no sense to own these M cars. You lease them new, drive the shit out of them, return them. How much it costs to actually own them is insane.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

The first model for the F10 M5 is 2012 and not 2011.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #8
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahano
The first model for the F10 M5 is 2012 and not 2011.
First f10 m5's in uk were registered in october 2011!
So its '12 MY, but registered and produced in 2011! So its running out of warranty in 2014
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:10 AM   #9
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig
Quote:

Cheers
If it were me, I'd get a new M3/550 rather than a used M5 due to maintenance and up keeping costs. Owning an out of warranty M5 for 3-4 years is going to cost a lot more than owning a new M3/550. I know totally different cars and thats all fine. I'm sure you have done your research but a simple brake job is going to cost so much in these cars, your jaw is going to drop when you see the bill. To me it makes no sense to own these M cars. You lease them new, drive the shit out of them, return them. How much it costs to actually own them is insane.
If car has service-pack (Anybody should be nuts to buy one without anyway)
+ he will get 1year warranty from the day OP purchases it (as long as its bmw approved), plus he can always extend his warranty
Not everybody want to lease cars, as in most cases its money thrown away and not everybody able to purchase brand new
So why not?!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #10
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
If car has service-pack (Anybody should be nuts to buy one without anyway)
+ he will get 1year warranty from the day OP purchases it (as long as its bmw approved), plus he can always extend his warranty
Not everybody want to lease cars, as in most cases its money thrown away and not everybody able to purchase brand new
So why not?!
Yeah and the cost of that warranty every is going to be a lot! Its also not going to have any free maintenance. An oil change for an M5 is around. 350-400 dollars alone.

Your thinking is wrong. You dont buy a car and keep it for 15 years. You will buy it and keep it maybe 2 years more than a leaser would and you will pay so much more than the guy who leases his cars. New tires, brakes, this and that.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #11
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

Just for clarity....Ive kept all of my previous cars for between 3-5 years as Id like to think I take my time to buy the right car and then I don't get bored quickly - because it is the right car

Im really not keen on leasing at all...

In addition and as stated, buying from a used BMW dealership will give me 1 year of warranty on top and I shall extend this warranty as I go along

Im very aware of running costs overall as I'm coming from an Audi RS4 which is not a cheap car to run..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #12
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i found 3 m5's there, none of them have over 20k miles and they are 2012 and 2013...
maybe easier if you send me link
they all have full leather, but you mentioned in OP that 1 of them has full leather (maybe you are confused, as full leather is standard in m5, you can get full extended leather as an option and you can easily spot it on pics, as dashboard will be done in leather)
Here is the link to the Stratstone Doncaster m5...As stated, it has the full leather, i.e. on seat backs and dashboard as opposed to the extended leather option as is known in the UK

http://www.stratstone.com/VehicleSea...s=False&type=1
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #13
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig View Post
Yeah and the cost of that warranty every is going to be a lot! Its also not going to have any free maintenance. An oil change for an M5 is around. 350-400 dollars alone.

Your thinking is wrong. You dont buy a car and keep it for 15 years. You will buy it and keep it maybe 2 years more than a leaser would and you will pay so much more than the guy who leases his cars. New tires, brakes, this and that.
thats why i have mentioned service pack!
you get oil top-ups, changes, heath checks etc for free up 5 years or 50k miles, whatever reaches first!

plus at least i know if worse comes to worse i can sell the car and get some cash

if you are leasing and all of a sudden something went wrong you will be left with no car and no $

i understand your point of view as well, that its better to put down 10-20k and pay monthly 1-1.5k and use the difference to to invest into something and make more $, but if you have spare $ to buy car outright, i would buy it outright!

Last edited by mstmng; 02-04-2014 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #14
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Here is the link to the Stratstone Doncaster m5...As stated, it has the full leather, i.e. on seat backs and dashboard as opposed to the extended leather option as is known in the UK

A good looking car.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #15
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:

Interesting that that still use the term "mileage" even though it is measured in KMs.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #16
james5599
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
Interesting that that still use the term "mileage" even though it is measured in KMs.

It's miles here....not Km's

J.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #17
DrewM5
Captain
Rep

I thought we were the only hold outs on the metric system.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #18
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Nah, we are old school!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 12:42 PM   #19
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
I just noticed your sig says Silver Gray, is your Individual?
      02-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #20
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

So what are peoples thoughts?....should I buy this car at this price??
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #21
DrewM5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickC23 View Post
I just noticed your sig says Silver Gray, is your Individual?
No. Should say Space Grey, but I never changed it from the E60. Thanks for catching it.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #22
Stash21
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru
Quote:

So what are peoples thoughts?....should I buy this car at this price??
If you are paying cash it's a reasonable price point for the spec. Their finance rates are ridiculous.

I would also factor in warranty costs post first year into your decision making.
Appreciate 0