Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

11-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #111
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3249 View Post
What number are you guys calling, and what do you say "I want compensation" ????
Just do what Rod did when he spoke to a rep from BMW in Munich.

Last edited by s4awd; 11-02-2012 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #112
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenxesq View Post
Took delivery of a frozen white 2013 M5 last week. It died on me today; drivertrain malfunction light came on, message on onboard computer screen displayed, check engine light flashing then turned permanently yellow, the triangle alert. Attempted re-start twice, finally restarted, won't go above 25mph/1,000 rpm. Called BMW Assist, too new, no info in the system, asked me to prepay in advance. After being transferred twice, a supervisor finally over-ride, and supposely a tow truck is on its way (while I'm sitting here on a curbside literally in tears).

Barely 500 miles on this brand new baby. What on earth is going on with BMW?
I had the same issue. It was cured with a software update. Have not had the problem again. I am sure they will be able to resolve it for you without too much difficulty.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #113
727jbh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 GC Donington Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrotwro7 View Post
Just received a call from BMW. They said a rep from the NJ office would be contacting me in 3-5 days but with the hurricane damage it may be a bit longer. I have requested comp similar to what other members have received. Hopefully this will be closed soon so I can look at my beast with anticipation again rather than remember the month it was parked and useless.

I'll post updates as this progresses. Best of luck to everyone who is going through the same process!
I received a call from BMWNA Monday and said they would contact me within 3 to 5 days, well those days have come and gone and yet no call. The caller from BMWNA was located in Ohio, so is Sandy the delay of this call? Are the people that can make decisions located in NJ? This was my second time talking with this rep and he really didn't seem knowledgeable or concerned with my situation, both times. Acted like compensation wasn't an option. I had called 2 weeks prior with no return call and had to reply to the customer service email I received to get any action. The rep apologized, said he lost my contact information from my voice mail. That gave me alot of confidence in this rep for BMWNA.

Sorry to complain, just a little frustrated.
2007 750Li Black Sapphire Metallic (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #114
ucla95
Striker
Rep
Drives: Slow cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 727jbh View Post
Are the people that can make decisions located in NJ?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #115
laurenxesq
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & P car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie F10M View Post
I had the same issue. It was cured with a software update. Have not had the problem again. I am sure they will be able to resolve it for you without too much difficulty.
Thank you. I truly hope so....I miss my M5....
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #116
laurenxesq
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & P car

BMW NA is located in NJ. BMW Financial is located in OH.
Yes, BMW NA is heavily affected by Sandy, here's an email from my BMW NA rep:
Sent: 11/2/2012 9:18:38 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time
Subj: 2012 650 & 2013 M5

Due to the effects of Hurricane Sandy, I will have limited access to email and voicemail for the forseeable future. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Kind regards,

Customer Relations and Services

Representative

BMW of North America, LLC

Telephone

(800) 831-1117

Mailing Address

P.O. Box 1227

Westwood, NJ 07675-1227
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #117
TK23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5. Singapore / SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 727jbh
Quote:
Just received a call from BMW. They said a rep from the NJ office would be contacting me in 3-5 days but with the hurricane damage it may be a bit longer. I have requested comp similar to what other members have received. Hopefully this will be closed soon so I can look at my beast with anticipation again rather than remember the month it was parked and useless.

I'll post updates as this progresses. Best of luck to everyone who is going through the same process!
I received a call from BMWNA Monday and said they would contact me within 3 to 5 days, well those days have come and gone and yet no call. The caller from BMWNA was located in Ohio, so is Sandy the delay of this call? Are the people that can make decisions located in NJ? This was my second time talking with this rep and he really didn't seem knowledgeable or concerned with my situation, both times. Acted like compensation wasn't an option. I had called 2 weeks prior with no return call and had to reply to the customer service email I received to get any action. The rep apologized, said he lost my contact information from my voice mail. That gave me alot of confidence in this rep for BMWNA.

Sorry to complain, just a little frustrated.
I got the same 3-5 days but never got a call. I kept calling back and told my dealer I wasn't getting any calls from BMWNA. I then got a call from them when I was sitting at the dealer and a compensation offer was made within 15 minutes. They will slow play this as much as possible. Be persistent but level headed. If you are a repeat customer make them aware of it and be reasonable in your demands and they will make it right. At least they did for me.
e92 M3 Jerez Black. -Sold and missed.
E46 M3. Jet Black. Sold.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 05:00 AM   #118
ucla95
Striker
Rep
Drives: Slow cars

any updates? Or did people get such big offers that they had to sign confi agreements?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #119
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

I have not heard anything. I was told I would be getting the voucher for the M School in the mail three weeks ago. I would assume with Hurricane Sandy things have been put on hold
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #120
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
The rep told me that they would get back to me after car is delivered. I asked for cash amount equivalent to extended warranty price.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #121
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
I received my check
      11-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #122
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla95 View Post
They did this for the HPFP on 335 and 535i's
That's because N54/N55 HPFPs continually failed. They were truly faulty in design (or at least in implementation, it seems that ever since the software was updated to prime the fuel pump before you start the engine the number of HPFP failures has gone way down). BMW didn't have a true fix for the HPFP so they just offered to keep replacing them for free until 100,000 miles (or whatever it was).

In this case, one oil pump was faulty and BMW replaced all of the ones manufactured in that batch as a precaution. They were being nice to make sure no one else had a blown motor as the result of the oil pump failure, it's not like all of the fuel pumps were actually bad. Unless the pump failed like it did for the one guy whose motor blew, there wouldn't be any damage done to the engine.

(I just read laurenxesq's post above about his car dying too) If the issue is more widespread than just the one car that blew during European Delivery, then I haven't really been following this closely but it's clearly not widespread in the same level as the N54/N55 HPFP.

Last edited by Remonster; 11-15-2012 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #123
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
That's because N54/N55 HPFPs continually failed. They were truly faulty in design (or at least in implementation, it seems that ever since the software was updated to prime the fuel pump before you start the engine the number of HPFP failures has gone way down). BMW didn't have a true fix for the HPFP so they just offered to keep replacing them for free until 100,000 miles (or whatever it was).

In this case, one fuel pump was faulty and BMW replaced all of the ones manufactured in that batch as a precaution. They were being nice to make sure no one else had a blown motor as the result of a fuel pump failure, it's not like all of the fuel pumps were actually bad. Unless the pump failed like it did for the one guy whose motor blew, there wouldn't be any damage done to the engine.

(I just read laurenxesq's post above about his car dying too) If the issue is more widespread than just the one car that blew during European Delivery, then I haven't really been following this closely but it's clearly not widespread in the same level as the N54/N55 HPFP.
Just FYI... when the HPFP fails on any x35i bmw model... the engine just dies or will not start. The engine does not blow up. It simply will not run/idle/drive. Most owners just get the LONG cold cranks in the morning. I've never heard of someone needing a new engine bc of a bad HPFP. Or poor power or no power at WOT.

I am not calling you a liar... I'm just saying that for 99.8% of the x35i owners... a bad HPFP is not that big of an ordeal.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #124
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Just FYI... when the HPFP fails on any x35i bmw model... the engine just dies or will not start. The engine does not blow up. It simply will not run/idle/drive. Most owners just get the LONG cold cranks in the morning. I've never heard of someone needing a new engine bc of a bad HPFP. Or poor power or no power at WOT.

I am not calling you a liar... I'm just saying that for 99.8% of the x35i owners... a bad HPFP is not that big of an ordeal.
I just noticed I wrote fuel pump instead of oil pump...I was saying HPFPs are a serious problem because the pump itself fails repeatedly so BMW replaces it repeatedly. In the case of the M5, the oil pump has only actually failed once or twice so there's no need to extend the warranty. It's fairly safe to assume that once this one bad batch has been replaced, no one else will have oil pump issues.

Of course you are right that the HPFP failing doesn't lead to a blown motor, I had the fuel pump in my 328i die and it was replaced for free and then I happily drove the car for another year before I sold it. The thing I said about blown motors was in reference to the guy whose F10 M5's oil pump died and (if I'm remembering right) took his engine with it which was what caused this particular recall.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #125
Wrotwro7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 IB M3 / 2013 SG M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrotwro7

Update: Still getting the runaround.

Timeline so far:
10/31- initial call received. Should hear back in 3-5 business days.

11/7-called them back and received a voicemail. Response: Another 3-5 days promised.

11/13 - see 11/7. Exactly the same
11/21 - called and left a rather direct message. Needless to say I don't look forward to the poor sap who has to deal with me on the next call.

With this level of service failure, how can they expect to keep their customers? A brand can only take you so far. When your products and customer service fail at the level I have experienced with this vehicle do you honestly now want me to fill out the survey I just received? Here's a hint: you are not going to like my unedited responses. Although I don't know what good it will do to tell you in yet another format of your failures when you don't seem to give a damn and treat long term customers in this manner.

End rant.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #126
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Update: Still getting the runaround.

Timeline so far:
10/31- initial call received. Should hear back in 3-5 business days.

11/7-called them back and received a voicemail. Response: Another 3-5 days promised.

11/13 - see 11/7. Exactly the same
11/21 - called and left a rather direct message. Needless to say I don't look forward to the poor sap who has to deal with me on the next call.

With this level of service failure, how can they expect to keep their customers? A brand can only take you so far. When your products and customer service fail at the level I have experienced with this vehicle do you honestly now want me to fill out the survey I just received? Here's a hint: you are not going to like my unedited responses. Although I don't know what good it will do to tell you in yet another format of your failures when you don't seem to give a damn and treat long term customers in this manner.

End rant.
My personal suggestion send a letter to BMW HQ, and state the facts only. If you send a rant it will fall in deaf ears in most large corporations. My compensation was all closed when I took delivery of my car in the states. My experience was nothing less than fantastic. Sorry to hear, but you need to talk to a person that can make decisions vs. beat up on a frontline employee that has no decision making power. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #127
Mperial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3, 2017 X1

I just received my check.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #128
racer10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mperial View Post
I just received my check.
Got my check on Monday. But no letter on the one day M school offer I was told I would get complimentary. Anyone get an M school offer letter yet?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #129
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Nope

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
2019 BMW X5 MSport, in coming
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #130
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiguy View Post
Nope
Yep one day M school and check when I picked up my car stateside. The dealer gave me a certificate for M school, and a check from BMW in a BMW folder.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #131
racer10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
Yep one day M school and check when I picked up my car stateside. The dealer gave me a certificate for M school, and a check from BMW in a BMW folder.
It is amazing to me how inconsistent BMW corporates response has been to addressing customers issues with the oil pump recall (as well as the 20 way seat issue). You basically are on your own even in terms of following up on the M school promise made by the customer service representative some 30 days ago.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #132
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
Obviously proves the point that you cant expect to get any if you don't ask

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
2019 BMW X5 MSport, in coming
Appreciate 0