M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

10-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Just_Joe_M5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Break-in Service: facts or myths?

I'm ready for my break-in service and the service advisor is pretty certain that from a performance perspective, it's a non-event. Some fluid top-ups including a differential flush but that's it. An uneventful 45 minute service.

Is that it? Or does the programming of the car enable any other goodies like removing any rev limitations after 2,000km? I'm confused.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
SA is correct.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo

When doing break in, I was told that the car will now have full power. Certainly felt like it.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
utahm5
Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP & '14 X5 50i

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
2014 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
2011 Ford F250 4x4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Joe_M5 View Post
I'm ready for my break-in service and the service advisor is pretty certain that from a performance perspective, it's a non-event. Some fluid top-ups including a differential flush but that's it. An uneventful 45 minute service.

Is that it? Or does the programming of the car enable any other goodies like removing any rev limitations after 2,000km? I'm confused.

Yup, your confused.

When the mechanic resets the 1,200 mile / 2,000km the car is now able to archive it's full potential. Top speed will be moved from 136mph to 155 or 190 mph (if you have the Competition Package) and Heaven knows what else.

In speaking with the Senior Service advisor at BMW Las Vegas what ever is changed happens with the reset of the 1,200 mile / 2,000 km pointer in the car. The oil the M5 shipped with is the same oil they replace it with. There is no "break in" oil in a new M5.

I'd suspect only the inner circle at the BMW factory could tell you exactly what changes; however changes do occur.

Think about it for a minute. The M5 engine is built by ONE person: BMW is not going to let the buyer blow it up just because the buyer was dumb enough to try and race it with 200 miles on it. The fluid changes do what all fluid changes do, remove metal particles etc. that could be left from engine mfg. The "chip changes" are another mater; however they do occur.

There is no doubt that an M5 with or without the Competition Package (CP) that has had the 1,200 mile service will out preform a similar M5 that has not had the 1,200 mile service.
      10-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
utahm5
Commander
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
2014 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:

PS... Better go to another BMW dealer if all he is going to do is "top up" some fluids!
      10-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahm5 View Post
Yup, your confused.

When the mechanic resets the 1,200 mile / 2,000km the car is now able to archive it's full potential. Top speed will be moved from 136mph to 155 or 190 mph (if you have the Competition Package) and Heaven knows what else.

In speaking with the Senior Service advisor at BMW Las Vegas what ever is changed happens with the reset of the 1,200 mile / 2,000 km pointer in the car. The oil the M5 shipped with is the same oil they replace it with. There is no "break in" oil in a new M5.

I'd suspect only the inner circle at the BMW factory could tell you exactly what changes; however changes do occur.

Think about it for a minute. The M5 engine is built by ONE person: BMW is not going to let the buyer blow it up just because the buyer was dumb enough to try and race it with 200 miles on it. The fluid changes do what all fluid changes do, remove metal particles etc. that could be left from engine mfg. The "chip changes" are another mater; however they do occur.

There is no doubt that an M5 with or without the Competition Package (CP) that has had the 1,200 mile service will out preform a similar M5 that has not had the 1,200 mile service.
Hmmm.... I think you might be slightly misled too ...

There's certainly a "break-in oil" in the F10 M5 from factory (during the oil pump recall
dealers had to replace engine oil on new cars with a different oil than the standard oil)
The engine isn't really built by a single individual , it's a well oiled machinery (no pun intended) and BMW has got the building of engines down without the need of claiming an individual is working on a specific engine (like AMG does with their name plaque attached to certain engines)
During break-in the fluids for the engine and differential are changed. If it is a MT car also the fluid for the 6 speed MT will be changed

All US cars are limited to ~155mph , there's no different top speed limiter before break-in or whether the car has CP or not.
The only option for a revised limiter is to order the M package , which is not available for ordering in the US

None of the engine maps or the like are being changed/improved during break-in service.
Only launch control will be enabled.

Some people may notice a "difference" but that's really only a placebo effect (or just simply they'll now use the Sport+ plus settings for throttle/transmission)
There's also a TIS memo available which has been posted here at
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=765513
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

I was gonna say, I CAN DO 190MPH after the break in service....... Nooooooooo!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
None of the engine maps or the like are being changed/improved during break-in service.

Some people may notice a "difference" but that's really only a placebo effect (or just simply they'll now use the Sport+ plus settings for throttle/transmission)
Once again, you are spot on.

I think I was one of the people who may have misled some... after the break-in the car became a whole new car to me, because I then took it above 5000RPM and 100 MPH, where its performance and capabilities really shine. As you pointed out as well, after break in is a good time to then switch the shifting and throttle response speeds as well. I didnt want to accidentally over-rev my engine before break in was complete, so I kept the in more conservative modes most of the time before break-in
      10-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
Just_Joe_M5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Thanks everyone. Makes sense. Lots of misinformation out there.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

I did hard break in from mile 1 and the car had same amount of power as it has now.
There is nothing special about break in service. Luckily our cars dont run carbs.
      10-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #11
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Feels the same before and after. The only ones who will see a diifeance or the M5's in Germany and some other EU countries that can get the "vmax' program upgrade after 1200mi break in.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #12
utahm5
Commander
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
2014 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:

There's certainly a "break-in oil" in the F10 M5 from factory (during the oil pump recall
dealers had to replace engine oil on new cars with a different oil than the standard oil)
The engine isn't really built by a single individual , it's a well oiled machinery (no pun intended) and BMW has got the building of engines down without the need of claiming an individual is working on a specific engine (like AMG does with their name plaque attached to certain engines)
During break-in the fluids for the engine and differential are changed. If it is a MT car also the fluid for the 6 speed MT will be changed

All US cars are limited to ~155mph , there's no different top speed limiter before break-in or whether the car has CP or not.
The only option for a revised limiter is to order the M package , which is not available for ordering in the US

Well, I have to say you are correct to the best of my research. Dang it makes me Pi$$ed to be mislead by BMW personnel who should know better!

The tire rating says it all! Front and Rear rated at "Z" speed. Therefore this is NO way will BMW let the car go much past an honest 155. Would I spend the 7k+ again for the CP? Well probably, just because it's there. Do I feel somewhat cheated, dang straight!

Which begs the question; do Europe delivery cars have different tire speed rating when there made to be exported to the USA?

Sorry if I got anyone's tit in the ringer over this. Dang, dang, dang.
      10-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #13
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Look in deeper to what the rating really means and what is beyond it... I'll go faster than 155 on a z rating tire anytime, if the conditions and temps of the tire are right. The z rating is not a static value governing all pressures and temps.
The z rated tire IS more than enough for the comp pack
      10-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #14
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Michelin PSS are rated "Y" at 99Y and 101Y
Checkout Tirerack for detailed specs

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...&filterType=oe
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #15
elitex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C Coupe, 21 X5MC

Garage List
I thought Michelin PSS were Y rated tires, which are rated at 186 MPH.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #16
elitex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C Coupe, 21 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Michelin PSS are rated "Y" at 99Y and 101Y
Checkout Tirerack for detailed specs

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...&filterType=oe
LOL, beat me to it.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #17
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitex
I thought Michelin PSS were Y rated tires, which are rated at 186 MPH.
You are correct they are Y rated .
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #18
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahm5
Quote:

Well, I have to say you are correct to the best of my research. Dang it makes me Pi$$ed to be mislead by BMW personnel who should know better!

The tire rating says it all! Front and Rear rated at "Z" speed. Therefore this is NO way will BMW let the car go much past an honest 155. Would I spend the 7k+ again for the CP? Well probably, just because it's there. Do I feel somewhat cheated, dang straight!

Which begs the question; do Europe delivery cars have different tire speed rating when there made to be exported to the USA?

Sorry if I got anyone's tit in the ringer over this. Dang, dang, dang.
The comp pack is worth it for the suspension , steering , and MDM upgrades alone , forget that it throws in wheels , and some extra hp . When and where are you going to go faster than 160mph ??? . Don't be silly .
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #19
utahm5
Commander
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
2014 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
The comp pack is worth it for the suspension , steering , and MDM upgrades alone , forget that it throws in wheels , and some extra hp . When and where are you going to go faster than 160mph ??? . Don't be silly .
Well I am learning from this forum in spite of the misinformation that is disseminated by me and others.

This is the rear tire information from my ’14 M5 w/CP:

The front tire information:

The information that set me straight:

I found it interesting reading.

On another subject...

"When and where are you going to go faster than 160mph ??? . Don't be silly"

I am amazed on the few forum issues I have posted on that very often I get this type of smart ass remark. Who died and gave you the power to decide what “silly” speed is?

If you are so concerned that someone might take their high performance car and go over the posted speed limit (or whatever you deem “silly” speed) why in the world would you purchase a BMW “M” anything?

You must live on the East coast as I can assure you there are many desolate locations in the west where a speed of over 160mph is entirely possible and easily obtained. When you consider these cars will do 150mph in less than 30 seconds your exposure to the inherent hazards is small. That said 160mph+ on any public road is not safe by definition. Then again people are killed and maimed at 35mph every day.

Within 300 miles of my home there are abandoned WWII airfields, salt flats and many a road that for a reasonable fee the state will close off for private events.

You are suggesting that one should purchase a $6k AR15 and then convert it to shoot .22 rim fires.

How about you live your life with your definition of “Silly” and I’ll live my life and enjoy the cars I own too my liking without putting your or your family at risk?
      10-19-2013, 06:00 AM   #20
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahm5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Well I am learning from this forum in spite of the misinformation that is disseminated by me and others.

This is the rear tire information from my 14 M5 w/CP:

The front tire information:

The information that set me straight:

I found it interesting reading.

On another subject...

"When and where are you going to go faster than 160mph ??? . Don't be silly"

I am amazed on the few forum issues I have posted on that very often I get this type of smart ass remark. Who died and gave you the power to decide what silly speed is?

If you are so concerned that someone might take their high performance car and go over the posted speed limit (or whatever you deem silly speed) why in the world would you purchase a BMW M anything?

You must live on the East coast as I can assure you there are many desolate locations in the west where a speed of over 160mph is entirely possible and easily obtained. When you consider these cars will do 150mph in less than 30 seconds your exposure to the inherent hazards is small. That said 160mph+ on any public road is not safe by definition. Then again people are killed and maimed at 35mph every day.

Within 300 miles of my home there are abandoned WWII airfields, salt flats and many a road that for a reasonable fee the state will close off for private events.

You are suggesting that one should purchase a $6k AR15 and then convert it to shoot .22 rim fires.

How about you live your life with your definition of Silly and Ill live my life and enjoy the cars I own too my liking without putting your or your family at risk?
Have you ever been faster than 160 mph in a car before ? I have on a track and I assure you it's not something you can do safely on the street ever . One pot hole , one animal , one piece of debris , and your dead ..... I was mainly telling you how awesome the the CP is in real life , don't focus on the speed limiter as this is something that will not affect your enjoyment of the car 99% of the time .
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #21
utahm5
Commander
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
2014 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:

There's certainly a "break-in oil" in the F10 M5 from factory (during the oil pump recall dealers had to replace engine oil on new cars with a different oil than the standard oil)

"There's certainly a "break-in oil" in the F10 M5 from factory"

You are absolutely correct! I bow to your knowledge!

Maybe the dealer did not "enable" Launch Control on my '14 M5 as I can get it engaged to save my butt. I have read the manual on launch control back and forth many times. No joy.