M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
Scott_in_FL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Nissan GTR

Real life experience w/ Frozen Silver???

Now that there must be some owners with this color, I'm curious to hear your experiences. I'm caught between Alpine White and Frozen Silver as a color choice for an upcoming ED order.

So, how does it look in person? Is it as amazing as the pictures indicate? We have had several titanium silver BMW's in the past and the color is well and good, but frozen silver seems like it could really be a winner on the F10 M5.

Are you still happy with the color decision? Worth the extra $$$ to you? Are you finding that it gets damaged more easily than a gloss clearcoat color?

I'm past the whole bit about "it's a fad", repair would be terrible, etc. Now I'm mainly interested in hearing what people think about the color having actually seen it in different lighting conditions.

Also, is it too much of a "look at me" color? I like my cars to be unique, which means I don't want to see the same car as mine at every traffic light (which is the main issue with AW, as everyone with a 550i or any other BMW in SoFla has the color). But I'm also not going through a mid-life crisis

Any and all thoughts and pictures (other than those in the master color photo thread) are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_FL View Post
Now that there must be some owners with this color, I'm curious to hear your experiences. I'm caught between Alpine White and Frozen Silver as a color choice for an upcoming ED order.

So, how does it look in person? Is it as amazing as the pictures indicate? We have had several titanium silver BMW's in the past and the color is well and good, but frozen silver seems like it could really be a winner on the F10 M5.

Are you still happy with the color decision? Worth the extra $$$ to you? Are you finding that it gets damaged more easily than a gloss clearcoat color?

I'm past the whole bit about "it's a fad", repair would be terrible, etc. Now I'm mainly interested in hearing what people think about the color having actually seen it in different lighting conditions.

Also, is it too much of a "look at me" color? I like my cars to be unique, which means I don't want to see the same car as mine at every traffic light (which is the main issue with AW, as everyone with a 550i or any other BMW in SoFla has the color). But I'm also not going through a mid-life crisis

Any and all thoughts and pictures (other than those in the master color photo thread) are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I've seen Will Turner's Frozen Silver in person a couple of time and it does look great on the M5 .
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-project_F10_m5.aspx
If you're not concerned about the issues around touching up chips/dents/scratches etc I think it's a great choice . Maintenance is not that bad (actually easier than regular colors) and as you live in SoFl you don't even have to worry about bad weather/sand/snow like we have up in NE
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
kylek13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 Frozen Grey

Turners car is frozen grey, darker than frozen silver. Both look cool to me...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Frozen silver is amazing, if I had not gone with Silver Stone would have done FS. I don't think it would be that difficult to manage long term. A very unique colour and I kind of wish I did something different like an individual exterior of some sort. Maybe after the refresh or if they release a special edition I might find someone to pickup my ride hehehe..
      12-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylek13 View Post
Turners car is frozen grey, darker than frozen silver. Both look cool to me...
Too early to post
Guess reading the post AND process it in my brain would have helped
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
smashhell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

One thing you have to worry about is people touching your car. because people WILL touch your car.
      12-24-2012, 06:43 AM   #7
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 M Sport, 2015 M4 Vert

Personally I wouldn't get flat paint unless it will be a car that you will garage and only pull out for show and or weekend driving. I almost got frozen white (on accident, long story and its all over this board) and I went through all the tribulations as you are asking now because I was trying to talk myself into it.

The bottom line is:

1) it IS a fad and not many people understand why it's done, they say 'oh look the paint shop let it go too early, hardee-har-har'..

2) if you rub it too hard you will absolutely polish it shiney and them your screwed

3) you cannot use a microfiber cloth on it and only regular soap

4) color match is a pain so Parts for that need to be color matched like replacing the reflectors on the bumper is almost impossible (happened to me with brilliant white that is not flat)

5) bird poop will not affect flat paint, that is a myth.

6) you will be unique, they are very infrequent but then again it makes everyone touch the car to leave finger prints

7) there is a clear coat on the car, its just a dull clear coat that can be buffed shiney... This is and was my biggest fear..... A shiney spot....

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Yes, my question is how does any area get restored to original.
With standard paints, touch up is easy and one can only improve the shininess. But who would even know how to restore the sheen on frozen paints?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
Scott_in_FL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Nissan GTR

Excellent comments. I also share two of the thoughts and concerns above.

First, I do not want to be caught in the position of having the car and then thinking that I should've done something a bit more striking, like one of the frozen paints.

But second, I too have heard that buffing the clearcoat shiney is a real problem. So, I have a genuine dilemma on my hands. Ughh, I hate this part of ordering a new car -- I'll go back and forth all day long.
Appreciate 0