M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

03-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
jstepy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Newbie Traffic Nav Question

This may sound stupid but with my X5 and M3 I had little triangles depicting traffic status on the main map screen. Wasn't the best depiction of traffic but it was on the main screen.

The only traffic I seem to get on the M5 is if I move to that special traffic screen (blueish grey screen with green/yellow/red lines)

Can I not have traffic on the main map screen?

Am I missing something super simple here?

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

I had the same issue. This is one area where the new nav has taken a step backwards imho.

The triangles are gone. You have the option that you discovered, or you can go to map views . . . info . . . and you can select traffic display which is green, yellow and red lines adjacent to the road outlines. My descriptions may not be precise, but you'll find them.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
jstepy
Enlisted Member
Rep

I don't mind losing the triangles for RED/YELLOW/GREEN lines on the highways like pretty much every other NAV system out there... but there has to be a way to have those colored lines on the standard NAV screen rather then having to specifically select the ugly traffic map... RIGHT???
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Stuartlogan77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I had a 2011 550and always had the blue grey screen. However only the yellow and red lines showed up. Not the green. To me the issue with the blue green screen with the colors is it too busy to see the differences in traffic. Why do you need the green? Definitely a step backwards.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstepy View Post
I don't mind losing the triangles for RED/YELLOW/GREEN lines on the highways like pretty much every other NAV system out there... but there has to be a way to have those colored lines on the standard NAV screen rather then having to specifically select the ugly traffic map... RIGHT???
jstepy, there is a way to get what you want, but I haven't explained it well for you. My car's still tucked away in hibernation for a couple more weeks (I hope!) so I can't give you exact instructions.

What I remember is that there are sub-menus from the "map views" nav menu (it's the same menu that you change from north facing map to 3D map, etc.). There are other options further down that menu that let you determine what is displayed on the standard map (i.e. POIs). Play around in that area and you'll find a couple of options that can be "checked". One is for road hazard signs (i.e. construction) and another is for traffic. The traffic one is the one that turns on the red and yellow lines on the standard map.

PM me in a couple of weeks if you haven't found those options and I will be able to give you a more exact description.

On a completely separate note, has anyone noticed when you press the "Options" button in nav mode, there is an option for map colors? There's a option for standard colors and alternative colors, but I don't notice any difference in the map view with in either mode. Anyone else?

Last edited by hinckley; 03-23-2013 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
jstepy
Enlisted Member
Rep

hinckley,

Today I plan on playing with this till I figure it out... I will look more where you suggested. I'm sure I'm missing something simple.

In Southern California it's a must to be able to quickly glance the traffic situation rather then switch over to a special traffic view.

I too noticed the alternative colors but like you didn't see much difference. I will play with that as well a little today.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

I own many high performance cars.. AMG, Porsche, and M. It's not surprising to me, but M has the best tech/nav maps period. I live in South FL where I-95 is a real PITA at times.

Using the traffic map is a breeze and it's extremely accurate. It will only show yellow, orange, and red lines.
I personally don't like the normal map appearance, and opt for the blue and grey appearance. I think that is the traffic map style? Also, in addition if you move the controller left to browse the vertical icons, there is a triangle that allows you to view detailed traffic info. The only thing that bothers me is that when you have an address plugged in, the nav seems to be even better and more accurate on traffic issues, so when I am heading home, I will sometimes plug in my address just to get more detailed traffic info.

I have played around with the new maps at the dealership (my F10 M5 comes to me in April). I did not notice what you guys are saying. Sounds a bit disappointing. I would rather the green lines not exist since I always use the grey and blue map style. Maybe I will just get used to it.
      03-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
jstepy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hinckley thanks for the help as I found the option right where you told me. I just kept getting stuck in the traffic menu rather then the map view menu. I knew it was something simple that I was missing.

Now that its working I now see your complaint about the green... It sure is a lot especially on the weekends with no traffic. Would kind of make sense to not have green on every street and only have yellow and red so it could stand out a little more. Thanks again for the help.
Appreciate 0