M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
Ziff73
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

Punctured driver's side tires - both!!! At dealership.

2013 M5

Dropped car off at dealership in the morning for service (break fluid and recall notice). I received a call around 2 that the car was ready. About an hour later I am notified that my drivers side front tire is not holding air / flat. And they are investigating.

I then make my way over to the dealership and then I am told that both drivers side (front and back) tires are punctured and the culprit was the car wash (which is extremely annoying bc I usually tell them not to wash, but I digress). Apparently when they drove up to the machine that pulls the car forward in neutral, something punctured both tires.

I asked to see the vehicle as they were currently replacing the tires. it was on the lift and you could clearly see the punctures. They were on the inside of the tire (meaning right side of the tire facing forward) right next to the rim.

End result they quickly replaced both tires with new. I checked and 3 miles were put on the vehicle. I then left feeling somewhat uneasy.

When driving away I noticed the hip hop stations were on and they jacked the bass all the way. I'm now somewhat nervous that something else might have caused the tire issue.

Any thoughts here? Anything I should check? Complain?

Thanks.

Last edited by Ziff73; 12-08-2014 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #2
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Garage List
I'd tell them they got some splainin to do. 3 miles and somebody messing with your tone settings? Sounds like a joyride.

Take it to another dealer and see if they can get info from the OBD II. Not sure if or what data might still be in there but might give you some insight. Armed with that you can go back to the dealer and ask their version and then tell them what you found.

I'd also be concerned if these aren't run flats if they drove on the rim. Look for any cosmetic damage closely. Are you sure punctures from an object and not an impact? Check for damged out of round wheels too.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #3
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Yikes, what dealership?
      12-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #4
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

I think I would be more upset about the radio than the tires. There is no reason to ever mess with the radio or even change the owner´s station and it is indicative of a less than professional and respectful attitude. On a test drive, the radio should be OFF and the should be concentratting on whatever it is they are looking for, testing or confirming on the test drive.

It is hard to imagine anything else that would have created slow leaks on both tires without damaging the wheel. That said, I am more inclined to belive it had to do with how (and how fast) they drove the car onto the tracks than the size of the rear wheela - a feeling reinforced by the radio situation. Also, I would say they owe you 4 tires - not 2 and not 3 - since the only way to properly repair the dangerous condition they created is to change out all 4 tires.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
Ziff73
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

Update:
Service Director has agreed to a complimentary alignment but was unwilling to include replacement tires for the passenger side, even at 50%.

I reiterated my concern and that I spoke with other service advisors at competing local dealerships and they said I should demand full replacement.

He said would take my grievance up to the fixed operations director...

To be continued...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #6
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Garage List
You could contact BMW NA and request some help. If you are a member of BMW Car Club you can also enlist one of their Ombudsmen.

Don't feel bad though. This crap happens in all kinds of ways all the time. I took my wife's brand new loaded to the hilt 2015 X5 one week after delivery to a local tire shop chain for snow tires. I warned them before they started work two things. I said the car was brand new just off the lot so be careful with both the tire change and the very light interior.

So....I go to pick up the car and all 4 brand new 20" rims are scratched, scraped and dinged. These are about $800 a pop. Worse yet there is grease on the drivers side armrest, carpet, center console, passenger seat, front dashboard and in the hatch (he went to fish out the locking lugs).

I am now waiting for the shops insurance adjuster to contact me to look at the car and settle the claim. I'll be asking them for 4 new wheels. Fortunately the grease came out with some degreaser on the inside.

The worst part is me and my wife literally warned them about both the light interior and the wheels! Beyond frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #7
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziff73 View Post
Update:
Service Director has agreed to a complimentary alignment but was unwilling to include replacement tires for the passenger side, even at 50%.

I reiterated my concern and that I spoke with other service advisors at competing local dealerships and they said I should demand full replacement.

He said would take my grievance up to the fixed operations director...

To be continued...
You may want to send them a short letter pointing out that the condition they re-delivered you car in is dangerous and you will hold the liable for any damages or injuries. It doesn´t hold up legally for a host of reasons, but I doubt he is a lawyer and it may just get their attention.

You may also want to point out that this mismatched tread will negatively affect the tread life of the new tires. See here for an explanation: http://www.truck-drivers-money-savin...ead-depth.html
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
cassidysdad
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 gone, 2016 pms m5

switch dealer
idiots!
Appreciate 0