M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

01-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Anybody ever heard of an ECU tune from BMW M Performance Division for the S63tu?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Dudes,

I'm hearing rumors that the BMW M Performance Division already has an ECU tune for the S63tu engine and is supposedly giving the engine an increase in power of 640hp and 590tq. Additionally, they are supposedly working on getting the M5 Performance Package from Europe over to the USA so that U.S. customers can enjoy a 190mph speed limiter. However, nothing is yet available to remove the limiter completely. So far to my knowledge no tuner has yet cracked the code to remove the limiter completely. Even more additionally, I have heard that the BMW M Performance Division has already designed their own downpipes and full exhaust system for the F10 M5.

I have never really researched the BMW M Performance Division and their parts before. Are they officially part of BMW or are they an aftermarket tuning company that is allowed to use BMW's name? Kind of like how the Federal Reserve has the word "Federal" in it, but is no more a part of the federal government than Federal Express, which is a privately owned company.

I just wanted to engage the community about this as I have never heard of any thing like this before from the M Performance Division for the F10 M5. I know they make exhausts and stuff for the M3 and 335i's and such, but nothing for the F10 M5 until now.

Google Search hasn't really yielded any results and the best that I could find was this:

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/performanc...nterId=3246701

Which seems to be a website affiliated with the BMW South County dealership.

Can anyone shed some light on this? One HUGE reason why this is interesting is because if the BMW M Performance Division parts are indeed a part of BMW AG, wouldn't that mean that their products don't void the warranty? I also know that they came out with a tune for the N55 engines that doesn't void the warranty. It would be great if these rumors were true and that their tune does actually make that much power and will not void the warranty.

Last edited by RPiM5; 01-14-2013 at 08:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Tell me this is true! What's your source Dave, credible?
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
If they release this I will buy it. The policy is usually M Performance parts and tunes are covered for the balance of the factory warranty by BMW if installed by a BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Wow...game changer. Downpipes? Whaatttt?
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
My sources seems to be credible, although he hasn't responded directly back to me to answer my questions yet.

My source states that he is practically best friends with either the owner or some high level person who works for the BMW M Performance Division and that he actually rode in his F10 M5 with the tune on it, and because of his relationship with this employee is able to get the tune on his brand new F10 M5 within the next couple of weeks. He just purchased his M5 last week. My source lives in Marietta, GA. Is this where the BMW M Performance Division is located? Or perhaps somewhere close to there? My source has also stated that he is going to pay $5,000 for just the tune. Not a bad price for 640hp /590tq and your warranty not being voided!

Last edited by RPiM5; 01-14-2013 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
Tomcat2048
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
My sources seems to be credible, although he hasn't responded directly back to me to answer my questions yet.

My source states that he is practically best friends with either the owner or some high level person who works for the BMW M Performance Division and that he actually rode in his F10 M5 with the tune on it, and because of his relationship with this employee is able to get the tune on his brand new F10 M5 within the next couple of weeks. He just purchased his M5 last week. My source lives in Marietta, GA. Is this where the BMW M Performance Division is located? Or perhaps somewhere close to there? My source has also stated that he is going to pay $5,000 for just the tune. Not a bad price for 640hp /590tq and your warranty not being voided!
If there is really an official tune out there for 5k that'll bump the power to 640hp/590tq...I'm all over it (assuming it doesn't void the warranty). Is this all attainable without any other modifications, just strictly an ECU tune?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat2048 View Post
If there is really an official tune out there for 5k that'll bump the power to 640hp/590tq...I'm all over it (assuming it doesn't void the warranty). Is this all attainable without any other modifications, just strictly an ECU tune?
Yes, supposedly attainable without any other modifications.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
Tomcat2048
Private
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yes, supposedly attainable without any other modifications.
Wow...as soon as you find anything else out, please let me know! I will be the first to schedule this ECU mod with my dealer for sure...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
Ak3249
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F12 M6 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
If this is true, ill be first in line.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

The BMW M Performance division is part of the M GmbH (not some outfit in Atlanta)
They've been producing aftermarket components such exterior/interior trim/parts as well
as suspension, brakes and DME updates for the N55/N54
They are covered under the factory warranty as they are only sold by BMW dealers (and the DME updates can only be installed/updated by a BMW dealer as they require a code to be generated by BMW NA/HQ)

In German
http://accessories.bmw.de/internet_b...Stichwortsuche

and US
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...e/default.aspx
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #11
Tomcat2048
Private
Rep

My only question is...if this is available, how would you even go about ordering it? I'm assuming you can't just call the dealer and ask them to install it? Or maybe you can? I didn't see anything about an ECU mod on the website posted above either...maybe I'm just missing it?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #12
Niko1414
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 720S, s550, S7, 997GT3RS

This would be a game changer
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Some of us already have those numbers stock

A very exciting rumor though.
      01-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #14
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

Very Exciting but just to clarify, The Federal Reserve is not a private company like Federal Express but an actual arm of the government of the United States with some private involvement and interest. Same with the M division being a part of M GmbH with the parent company being BMW AG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_reserve

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M
2015 i3-REX

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #15
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Dave - your description of the M Performance Division seems completely off.

M Performance products are made by BMW M Gmbh. BMW is the owner. And BMW is located in Germany. M Performance Products come from Germany. Not from Georgia.

Now I do know that there is a tuning shop in Alpharetta, GA, Performing Imports that told me they have an upgraded exhaust from Boysen (BMWs exhaust supplier for the OEM M5 exhaust) with BMW stampings on it and also BMW high flow cats. He said the exhaust includes downpipes and mid pipes, but use the same OEM tailpipes. This product was apparently developed by Boysen in Germany and is distributed through Noelle Motors - a German distributor who supplies it to Performing Imports in Georgia. He also said they have access to BMW Development software for the M5 through some back channel and they can tune it. Anyone who analyses the ECU will see BMW signature in the code.

However - this is not a BMW M Performance product. It is a gray market product from BMWs suppliers with some prototype software from BMW. It is not sold by BMW and does not have any warranty coverage from BMW.

So this isn't an M Performance Product. If BMW decides to make it an M Performance product then it would be distributed with M Performance branding and sold through BMW dealers with BMW warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #16
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
The BMW M Performance division is part of the M GmbH (not some outfit in Atlanta)
They've been producing aftermarket components such exterior/interior trim/parts as well
as suspension, brakes and DME updates for the N55/N54
They are covered under the factory warranty as they are only sold by BMW dealers (and the DME updates can only be installed/updated by a BMW dealer as they require a code to be generated by BMW NA/HQ)

In German
http://accessories.bmw.de/internet_b...Stichwortsuche

and US
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...e/default.aspx
Thanks for the info. Is it true that only certain dealers are authorized to sell BMW M Performance parts?

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #17
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Is it true that only certain dealers are authorized to sell BMW M Performance parts?
In some countries but not in the US. In the US we never really got an M Certified Service department model going, so any dealer can sell M performance products.

But that said I am pretty sure that your friend's friend doesn't have an M Performance exhaust or tune, but has the Boysen exhaust, high flow cats and prototype gray market BMW tune per my previous post.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #18
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Dave - your description of the M Performance Division seems completely off.

M Performance products are made by BMW M Gmbh. BMW is the owner. And BMW is located in Germany. M Performance Products come from Germany. Not from Georgia.

Now I do know that there is a tuning shop in Alpharetta, GA, Performing Imports that told me they have an upgraded exhaust from Boysen (BMWs exhaust supplier for the OEM M5 exhaust) with BMW stampings on it and also BMW high flow cats. He said the exhaust includes downpipes and mid pipes, but use the same OEM tailpipes. This product was apparently developed by Boysen in Germany and is distributed through Noelle Motors - a German distributor who supplies it to Performing Imports in Georgia. He also said they have access to BMW Development software for the M5 through some back channel and they can tune it. Anyone who analyses the ECU will see BMW signature in the code.

However - this is not a BMW M Performance product. It is a gray market product from BMWs suppliers with some prototype software from BMW. It is not sold by BMW and does not have any warranty coverage from BMW.

So this isn't an M Performance Product. If BMW decides to make it an M Performance product then it would be distributed with M Performance branding and sold through BMW dealers with BMW warranty.
Ah ha! This makes more sense. I really had no clue, hence all the questions. This seems to be completely possible. Considering the location of my source and the fact that he said that he rode in his friends M5 with the tune in it, I assume in Georgia. Ok so, I think that we can conclude that this is not an official BMW M Performance tune or parts, instead it may be a back channel product like you said.

This could also be the reason why my source has not yet directly answered any of my questions, and is the reason why I started this thread, to get more information from the community to test the plausibility of his statements. Also I may have opened a can of worms here, as I'm sure a lot of people will be wanting to contact this shop in Georgia. A tune with a BMW signature on it should be able to pass inspection when you plug your M5 into any dealership computer. Hmmm.....

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #19
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poleposition View Post
Very Exciting but just to clarify, The Federal Reserve is not a private company like Federal Express but an actual arm of the government of the United States with some private involvement and interest. Same with the M division being a part of M GmbH with the parent company being BMW AG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_reserve

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M
Haha, sorry don't mean to get off topic and start a debate here, but if your source about the Federal Reserve is Wikipedia, you are sorely misinformed. The Federal Reserve has nothing to do with the federal goverment. It is also privately owned, but no-one knows by whom. Do a little more research. Contact me privately if you wish to continue this discussion. I don't want this thread to become jacked and off topic. Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #20
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
A tune with a BMW signature on it should be able to pass inspection when you plug your M5 into any dealership computer. Hmmm.....
I'm not sure about that, but maybe. That's what the vendor would like you to believe - but they don't explicitly state that you won't have problems with the dealer. They just say the tune is BMW Development software and has a BMW signature on it.

It does give me hope though that the real M Performance product will come at some point.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #21
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I'm not sure about that, but maybe. That's what the vendor would like you to believe - but they don't explicitly state that you won't have problems with the dealer. They just say the tune is BMW Development software and has a BMW signature on it.

It does give me hope though that the real M Performance product will come at some point.
Yeah I know what you are saying stealth.

Listen dudes, about a minute ago, I was given all of the contact information from my sources BMW guy. It is indeed from Performing Imports. I will ask many questions and report back here. Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #22
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
If you go to performing imports Facebook site you can see a video of the exhaust.
Appreciate 0