BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
dingding
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2005 Carrera GT, 2012 750IAH

Exclamation Ready to order M5, need your opinions

Decided to order the new 2013 M5. Now, i am still debating with myself which color I should order. I like Alpine White, and Singapore Grey. For the leather, come down to two options - Sakhir Orange, and Silverstone. So what do you guys think?

Also, since the manual transmission will be available for the US. I am thinking to get a manual too. But since this car will be my daily driver, and I had hard time with my Carrera GT clutch. should I order auto instead of manual? Thank in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

First of all, welcome to M5Post!

Singapore Grey is an adorable color and also exclusive to the M5 (and M6) so I'd personally choose it over Alpine White which isn't bad but too played out IMO. Check out our photo threads for Singapore Grey and Alpine White. As to interior, I think Silverstone goes well with Singapore Grey while Sakhir Orange might be a bit 'loud'.

BMW put 2 years of development to have the manual transmission fitted perfectly to the M5 so it should be a lot easier than the Carrera GT clutch which is known for its 'trickiness'. Then again, if you don't have to have a manual transmission DCT seems to make a lot of sense for a car like the M5 (don't tell anybody of my fellow 6MT club members I just said that ).

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingding
Decided to order the new 2013 M5. Now, i am still debating with myself which color I should order. I like Alpine White, and Singapore Grey. For the leather, come down to two options - Sakhir Orange, and Silverstone. So what do you guys think?

Also, since the manual transmission will be available for the US. I am thinking to get a manual too. But since this car will be my daily driver, and I had hard time with my Carrera GT clutch. should I order auto instead of manual? Thank in advance!
I have a day-day M3 and a 6 spd and I would not do it again. There are many purists who say otherwise but the DCT offers everything the manual can do but it's faster, better, longer lasting, easier to drive and so much simpler. When you wanna go manual you can and when you want to cruise you can.

Color is pretty personal. No right or wrong there.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but to me Singapore Gray looks a bit dead. If I had to choose between your two choices I'd pick Alpine White. Just my opinion though.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Get the DCT if you're commuting long time or distance with it in my opinion. How long is your commute?

Do you want a flashier or more subtle color? Flashiest pairing would be alpine white with sakhir orange interior and most subtle would be Singapore grey with silverstone interior.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
Ziff73
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

Same boat here. Thinking sing grey with silverstone.

Any thoughts here on extended vs full???
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

My $.02

I am replacing my '09 M5 which just came off lease. I'm having the same issue.

When I drove the F10 M5 in Spain we saw all of these color combos and I can say without a doubt SG is stunning with the Sakhir interior. That said though, AW with black or Sakhir is also killer. For me, it is one of those two options or MB with silverstone. Any of them you cannot go wrong.

Full vs. extended...I would spend the extra $ and go all-in. Just looks so much better IMHO. My '09 did not have the extra leather and it always irked me.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingding View Post

id go with the MDCT same one in my M3 and its great. its almost an automatic in D mode and in paddle mode its great too.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 - DCT

I struggled more with the 6MT / DCT choice more than anything else. I am a big fan of being engaged with the driving experience and have never owned an automatic.
I chose the DCT because it's more faithful to the M5 design intent. I'm a bit concerned it'll isolate me from the experience, but I'm willing to risk it for a technically superiour solution.
May 4th ED will tell the story. If I miss the MT, I'll still have my 89 Skyline GTR and Formula car for track days.
We will see!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-Dad View Post
I struggled more with the 6MT / DCT choice more than anything else. I am a big fan of being engaged with the driving experience and have never owned an automatic.
I chose the DCT because it's more faithful to the M5 design intent. I'm a bit concerned it'll isolate me from the experience, but I'm willing to risk it for a technically superiour solution.
May 4th ED will tell the story. If I miss the MT, I'll still have my 89 Skyline GTR and Formula car for track days.
We will see!
Your not gonna miss it in a car with 500 ft-lbs of torque.

Fck thats quite the stable, nice...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
dingding
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2005 Carrera GT, 2012 750IAH

My work is close to my home - only 5 miles away. But the traffic is really bad during the rush hours, plus after having my Carrera GT(the most hard clutch ever) for over 3 years, I am really not sure should I get anther MT or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #12
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingding
My work is close to my home - only 5 miles away. But the traffic is really bad during the rush hours, plus after having my Carrera GT(the most hard clutch ever) for over 3 years, I am really not sure should I get anther MT or not.
Have you tested a DCT M3 before? Maybe trying it out will make your decision easier.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #13
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M54ccibo

When I drove the F10 M5 in Spain we saw all of these color combos and I can say without a doubt SG is stunning with the Sakhir interior. That said though, AW with black or Sakhir is also killer. For me, it is one of those two options or MB with silverstone. Any of them you cannot go wrong.

Full vs. extended...I would spend the extra $ and go all-in. Just looks so much better IMHO. My '09 did not have the extra leather and it always irked me.
What color is MB?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 02:31 AM   #14
deathray
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, iX 50, Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09BlkSapphire View Post
Have you tested a DCT M3 before? Maybe trying it out will make your decision easier.
+1 to that recommendation. I personally love the SMG in my E60 and am going for the DCT in my F10. I tried the DCT in the M3 before I placed my order and it maintained the speed and responsiveness of the SMG without the jerkiness. I absolutely hate slushbox based auto transmissions because I find that they feel too dead. As far as my own experience goes, so long as it has a clutch (or two), most of the benefits of a manual transmission carry through. That and its so much easier to be lazy in traffic with the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 02:49 AM   #15
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but to me Singapore Gray looks a bit dead. If I had to choose between your two choices I'd pick Alpine White. Just my opinion though.
+1
      04-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #16
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09BlkSapphire
Quote:
Originally Posted by M54ccibo

What color is MB?
Sorry, forgot the "C"...Monte Carlo Blue.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0