04-05-2014, 09:20 AM   #45
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWonlyZone View Post
Interesting point. BUT, when a cop stands a few miles from one of the murder capitals in the united states and wastes my time and his "enforcing" a front plate law, it still seems like nonsense to me.

Every NJ State and County Police officer should be immediately ordered out of the bushes on the NJTPK and into the hood in Newark to stop the civil war that's going on there. We have bigger issues than license plates. Elitist or not, the guy was a jerk. If anyone was being elitist it was him, not me. I was just trying to get to work to pay his salary.
Used to live in Cleveland OH where front plates are a must and then cane to NC and one of the few things you get to enjoy while driving your car -
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #46
Palomequet
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
Done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypx View Post
The quickest way to see it's not an automatic is to do the following.

Stop on an incline and before you start driving again release the brake without hitting the gas. Please be careful, the car will start rolling back on its own like a MT. Again, please be careful!
Perfect answer, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #47
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Regarding how this thread got derailed so far...
Attached Images

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #48
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
Brick killed a man! with a trident!
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #49
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
Yeah, one comment from a European on elitism (and not the first one to mention elitism in this thread either), and we ended up with a full fledged patriotic "US is better than Europe"

Last edited by Boss330; 04-05-2014 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #50
NlckyBlack
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: Too many cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWonlyZone View Post
But I put it in drive and go. When I shut the car off, it's in park.

In my book, it's an automatic. YES, a very whizzbang, eff'ing amazing automatic, but an automatic nonetheless. Maybe technically something different, but it is what it is.

Hit the gas and it shifts. Stop at a light and put your foot on the brake. Stop on an incline and just tap the gas and go! It's an automatic! LOL
You should be more informed on what you bought and what your driving. It's not an automatic. Dont' be like the misinformed.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 04:21 PM   #51
NlckyBlack
Captain
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I just don't think that the definition of profiling is pulling people over that don't have a front plate on a high end car.
So if a "high end" car has no front plate it should be a Pass... but if a Honda Civic has no front plate then it's deserving of getting pulled over??
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #52
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Yeah, one comment from a European on elitism (and not the first one to mention elitism in this thread either), and we ended up with a full fledged patriotic "US is better than Europe"
I believe it may have started with the comparitive, and somewhat condescending -comment about what constitutes a DUI...implicit in the comment was a theme that posited standards of the EU as more appropriate than those of the unsophisticated Rednecks in the US...

Signed, the Redneck Texan...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #53
NlckyBlack
Captain
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Hence the reason why I changed my tint. Didn't want to be a wanted felon to any cop anymore, at least on the East Coast. I already had a VA Cop call me a drug dealer even though I'm active duty military.
Pretty ignorant statement coming from a cop. I've had tinted windows on every car i've owned, and i'm not your typical drug dealer
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #54
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

I don't rock a license plate up front either. In 3 years i only got a ticket once and was dismissed..its a BS ticket. If you do put one on, get a 3M adhesive that is waterproof and good for outside use. I did it once for a couple of months and it easily came off with a little Windex. Just use small strips in the middle of the plate and it holds like a monster.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #55
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV
I don't rock a license plate up front either. In 3 years i only got a ticket once and was dismissed..its a BS ticket. If you do put one on, get a 3M adhesive that is waterproof and good for outside use. I did it once for a couple of months and it easily came off with a little Windex. Just use small strips in the middle of the plate and it holds like a monster.
It really does hold like a monster too and comes of very easily.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 02:37 AM   #56
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
I believe it may have started with the comparitive, and somewhat condescending -comment about what constitutes a DUI...implicit in the comment was a theme that posited standards of the EU as more appropriate than those of the unsophisticated Rednecks in the US...

Signed, the Redneck Texan...
I see. But reading that much into a comment that just said it would be DUI in other parts of the world to drink a few glasses of wine before driving is perhaps a bit over the top

It was quite fun to see how that ended up with the declaration of independence from Europe (as far as I know it was independence from England, not Europe... France I believe was the first country to support and acknowledge the US declaration of independence. A country that still has a higher DUI limit I believe).

BTW. The US is our favourite holiday destination. I have lots of family over there (incl active duty military personell and one active duty Navy Seal). We will be going to the US this summer as my niece is marrying a US man she met there during her 3 years at a US college. Europe would not have been what it is today without the US Marshall aid program after WW2 and the US is my countrys main ally through NATO. So to me the USA holds a big place in my heart and most people over here are thankful and positive to the US
Appreciate 0