M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

01-18-2017, 11:56 PM   #1
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 CP M5

Dodson Vs SSP

I know there have been many threads on this subject but I would like to get some feedback from some of you guys re the two.

From what I know the install and adaptation process is imperative to the successful operation of the new clutch pack.

From what I've gathered through the forms is that Dodson can hold the power but is much more clunky and does not drive like stock clutch pack (is this the nature of the clutch pack or a result of not being installed correctly / adapted). For the guys who know they were adapted and installed correctly can you confirm how much more rough they are over stock?

I'm looking into upgrading my clutch pack and there is a shop within 5 miles of my house that has trained techs for Dodson install (they do many high hp GTR's) and obviously they are pushing for Dodson.

My main concern is drivability and ability to hold the power. I just had meth installed and have boost limited to 23lbs because stock clutch packs begin to slip at 24psi.

Who of your would recommend Dodson vs SSP and why?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 11:41 PM   #2
MpowerMike
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 IB BMW M5

I heard there were problems with Dodson kits , ssp has been the best it seems for our cars, going to go with ssp my self after my meth install.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 11:53 PM   #3
ARC550
Major
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, 720s, X5, 750xi

SSP= solution
Trust me; I know what it takes to go fast!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 12:19 AM   #4
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMORGSM5 View Post
I know there have been many threads on this subject but I would like to get some feedback from some of you guys re the two.

From what I know the install and adaptation process is imperative to the successful operation of the new clutch pack.

From what I've gathered through the forms is that Dodson can hold the power but is much more clunky and does not drive like stock clutch pack (is this the nature of the clutch pack or a result of not being installed correctly / adapted). For the guys who know they were adapted and installed correctly can you confirm how much more rough they are over stock?

I'm looking into upgrading my clutch pack and there is a shop within 5 miles of my house that has trained techs for Dodson install (they do many high hp GTR's) and obviously they are pushing for Dodson.

My main concern is drivability and ability to hold the power. I just had meth installed and have boost limited to 23lbs because stock clutch packs begin to slip at 24psi.

cjrdriven can tell you all about both. He originally bought the Dodson upgrade and had nothing but issues with it. Wound up going to SSP and has been much more pleased with the SSP clutches.

GMWNashville did the install of both on cjrdriven's M5. He's not "Dodson trained" but he is a BMW master tech and knows these cars very very well. If I remember correctly, he had all sorts of problems getting the Dodson to properly adapt whereas the SSP was fairly smooth the first time around.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 04:09 PM   #5
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMORGSM5 View Post

Go with Kris @ SSP
The local indy shop that works on my cars tried the Dodoson first and from them sharing their experience the Dodson have a few things that don't go together as smooth as SSP
SSP are direct fit / machines spec clutch disks where Dodson are not built correctly. SSP has no noises during any gear engagement's / shifts
And, you get direct support from Kris "owner of SSP", he is on this forum and with Dodoson you have ZERO support. I think they are re-branded Greddy products anyways.
Dodson is hyped up from the GTR world and SSP makes GTR and all the Heffner Lambo DCT clutches...
You will be very happy with SSP
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 05:22 PM   #6
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

After having installed both brands...SSP hands down is the way to fly. Functionally dodson tries to change the clearance on the clutch height which flat out just doesn't work. They are miserable to do the factory teach in procedure and rarely actually teach in properly on the first try or even the first 5. The SSP's were installed after the Dodson ones lasted a few K before the transmission started making a crazy humming noise and driving very very poorly. This happened on a long highway drive and not while driving the car remotely hard. The clutches got so hot it blued the billet baskets and the snout of the transmission. After having to purchase a brand new factory clutch kit from BMW the baskets were swapped out for SSP billet baskets and both myself and my customer couldn't be happier.

The SSP clutch kit literally drives like factory only handles power much better. Kris from SSP was awesome to deal with and answered any question we had about their kit and the differences between the two brands. They are located in the US which makes things much easier! After spending several thousand dollars on the Dodson kit my customer was pretty bummed having to spend the same money again. But after spending the money he couldn't be happier with SSP!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 08:17 AM   #7
Bimmma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F06 M6

I chose SSP kit. Hopefully I will have it installed next week.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #8
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR

Thanks guys for all the support and awesome reviews.
If you guys ever have questions about anything even after hours, this is my personal number... 605.359.7829

Beers are always welcome..

Kris
Appreciate 1
evilb166.50
      01-31-2017, 04:55 AM   #9
m6beast
Captain
Rep
Drives: stock m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSPKris View Post
Thanks guys for all the support and awesome reviews.
If you guys ever have questions about anything even after hours, this is my personal number... 605.359.7829

Beers are always welcome..

Kris
+1 to Kris at SSP, hands down to the best clutch setups for our dct cars! I've done several installs, his stage 1, 2 and even a test set stage 3 and I can say from my experience you won't find a better setup that drives like stock and gives the bite when huge power is delivered. Thanks again Kris for awesome products that deliver with top notch customer service.

Cheers!
G
Appreciate 1
evilb166.50
      02-01-2017, 10:12 PM   #10
Pure Turbos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Turbo Cars

+1

Go with SSP if you want clutches that drive like OEM, ISTA-D adapt quickly without issues, don't clunk and delay going from P to D or R, and hold the big power! Oh, and the great customer service.

SSP FTW! Thanks Kris!
Appreciate 1
Nqwjx3064.00
      02-02-2017, 12:03 PM   #11
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks again for all the wonderful reviews. We have 2 more advanced clutches coming out real soon for you guys..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 12:31 PM   #12
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 CP M5

Seems like SSP is the way to go! Spoke with Kris last week on the phone, picked up right away and great guy to talk to.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 11:28 AM   #13
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
I had a couple of questions while my clutches were getting installed and Kris responded fast and was very informative.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #14
ARC550
Major
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, 720s, X5, 750xi

SSP. should not even be a question.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #15
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC550 View Post
SSP. should not even be a question.
Appreciate it. Thanks

SSP
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 02:08 AM   #16
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

As Dodson is from NZ I had been considering them purely due to national bias but I had formed my opinion that SSP was the place to go to many months ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #17
MrPowell
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

I love my SSP Spec-R kit. Takes all the power when I am wanting to haul @$$, but still drives exactly like stock when I'm in D1 driving with friends or family in the car.