Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Understated Wolf... :)

Head up to the boardroom of a high profile client that is allowing us to bid on a new project. We all arrive in my M5 - 4 of us for the presentation. CEO of the customer is standing by the window as the competitors leave and one of the executives gets into a Porsche boxster. CEO of the client notices and starts yapping about how it doesn't look good to be arriving in nice sports cars to a meeting and they should take a lesson from us and come in an understated sedan. I guess he did not realize that it was an M5 with 560HP and enough power to stay with just about anything on the road. I look over at my colleagues, we smile at each other, and continue on with the meeting. We find out about the deal on Monday but lets just say I feel good about our chances. Only a few months ago I was driving around in Targa4S - would have loved to see his comments then LOL!

2 things have taken me by surprise with the M5. First is the number of people that have stopped to talk to me about the car or pass a compliment and second the lack of judgement for pulling up in a nice BMW 4 door sedan even if its an ///M. Its one of those things, if you know cars you know its special, and if you don't you think its just a nice ride and pass on a compliment etc.

Anyhow good story that I thought I would share. Made my day
      03-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
Head up to the boardroom of a high profile client that is allowing us to bid on a new project. We all arrive in my M5 - 4 of us for the presentation. CEO of the customer is standing by the window as the competitors leave and one of the executives gets into a Porsche boxster. CEO of the client notices and starts yapping about how it doesn't look good to be arriving in nice sports cars to a meeting and they should take a lesson from us and come in an understated sedan. I guess he did not realize that it was an M5 with 560HP and enough power to stay with just about anything on the road. I look over at my colleagues, we smile at each other, and continue on with the meeting. We find out about the deal on Monday but lets just say I feel good about our chances. Only a few months ago I was driving around in Targa4S - would have loved to see his comments then LOL!

2 things have taken me by surprise with the M5. First is the number of people that have stopped to talk to me about the car or pass a compliment and second the lack of judgement for pulling up in a nice BMW 4 door sedan even if its an ///M. Its one of those things, if you know cars you know its special, and if you don't you think its just a nice ride and pass on a compliment etc.

I'm in a client facing business too, and this was one of the many reasons I got the M5 instead of the Panamera GTS.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Reading through the M brochure as I eagerly await US delivery this is exactly the reputation BMW wanted to convey with this car it seems. "Executive" saloon - nice. Even here on M5 Post versus being on the C63 forums and M3 forums 10 years ago, totally different audience.
      03-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Also my reason for owning this car and choosing Silverstone exterior. Hasn't helped though. Many clients have made super enthusiastic comments about the car. Most guys are car guys

Funny that a boxster was perceived as ostentatious
      03-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
Also my reason for owning this car and choosing Silverstone exterior. Hasn't helped though. Many clients have made super enthusiastic comments about the car. Most guys are car guys

Funny that a boxster was perceived as ostentatious
No offense to anyone, but I HATE Boxsters!
      03-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
nv6425
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 Dark Shadow

This is a big part of the reason I went with M5 and specifically Imperial Blue...understated. I can't have my clients thinking I drive nicer cars than they do, even though I do!
      03-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #7
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Love it!

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #8
krispykreme
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:

Glad I don't work in environment that i have to face customers

But I drive a leaf or camry hybrid to work everyday. Low key.
      03-29-2013, 12:27 AM   #9
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

LOL. Most of my customers are not in the same state that I am, so my car sits at home waiting for my return

Last week though some were visiting CA and we had dinner, valet only. I was there early so they didn't see the car. I did see everyone off first before getting the car...certainly didn't want to have valet pull up after a cold start.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 01:13 AM   #10
MSportDC
///MSport-DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, 2012 X5 35d

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:

I read the beginning of that first sentence as "Head up the bedroom of a high profile client..." ooh la la
      03-29-2013, 01:39 AM   #11
Ahmed
Private First Class
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG

Garage List
1999 BMW M5  [1.00]
Interesting topic!

If you are bidding for a project that requires a good amount of resource, then it's wise to show off your financial muscle ( price factor not being ignored ofcourse, but that is up to the client to decide )

If you are meeting your supplier, then it's wise to show up in a beat up car as that would increase your chances of getting a credit term approved and perhaps gain sympathy for a bad quarter sales.

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 03:19 AM   #12
absix
Mu mu muh muli, maikouuu!
Rep
Drives: F10 M5; F25 2.0d;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M54ccibo View Post
I did see everyone off first before getting the car...certainly didn't want to have valet pull up after a cold start.
      03-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #13
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

This is exactly what I like about the F10 M5. To the casual on looker it's just another "nice" car. However, the enthusiast knows exactly what my car is. This was evident to me when a colleague at the office "noticed" my car in the parking lot and complimented its looks. I didn't drive my M5 to the office that day so I asked where he saw my car. Turns out what he thought was my Azurite Black F10 M5 was a new Carbon Black F10 535 M-Sport. I immediately realized how beneficial it is to have most of my colleagues mistake the 535 for my M5. They will think I'm in the office all the time! .

I hate to sound obnoxious but as an enthusiast myself, I'm only interested in talking about cars with other enthusiasts. Non-enthusiast just don't get it. Or perhaps I don't get them. Regardless, it's like the old cliche, "...if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand."
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #14
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

This is an interesting topic, I'll be purchasing an F10 M5 for the absolute thrill of driving it, and because with designation deletion no one at the office will know it's an M5. I'll just tell them it's a 535i. Another nice new car is all they'll know. I have been driving BMW's since I started working here 12 years ago. I've driven three different bimmers. Understated is always a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #15
apsuard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

It is great to hear stories about people that think like I do. I don't have the new F10 but I love the fact the M5 blends in with other 5 series to the average person. And it is great to get a thumbs up from a car enthusiast. It really is the best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #16
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
I hate to sound obnoxious but as an enthusiast myself, I'm only interested in talking about cars with other enthusiasts. Non-enthusiast just don't get it. Or perhaps I don't get them. Regardless, it's like the old cliche, "...if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand."
Agree completely. Its hard to explain why we do the things we do.
      03-31-2013, 04:26 PM   #17
(H)
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 (after F10 M5 ;-)

Sometimes it's not just about work related understatement but ...

... might also be the family.

In all seriousness, this is exactely the reason why I decided for an F10 M5 over the other options for a sports car (I was toying with the idea of similarly priced 911).

But coming from a F10 550i, it was an easy decision "internally" as well. Oh, honey, you got the exact same car just different colors? But you need to bring it to the dealership, something seems wrong with engine, it sounds so different ;-)

Speaking of subtleness, I actually went further and currently have the M5 badge and the small rear spoiler removed. If it would technically be possible, I would even have the exhaust tips changed for the 535i ones for a complete wolf in sheeps skin approach. Do you think this is taking it too far?

(H)
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #18
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Yes
      03-31-2013, 04:45 PM   #19
(H)
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 (after F10 M5 ;-)

Yes, too far on the exhaust tips or the debadging and the removed spoiler as well? What do the others think. As a newbiew M owner I am naturally a bit anxious to do "the right thing".
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #20
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by (H) View Post
Yes, too far on the exhaust tips or the debadging and the removed spoiler as well? What do the others think. As a newbiew M owner I am naturally a bit anxious to do "the right thing".
To each his own - I like the understated subtlety, but I dont want anyone mistaking it for a 550i
      03-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #21
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by (H) View Post
What do the others think. As a newbie M owner I am naturally a bit anxious to do "the right thing".
The "right thing" is whatever you want to do with your own car. For all the options you have to modify your car, it always boils down to your decision. As long as you can justify your decision to yourself, the opinions of the rest of us don't matter. If you lack knowledge and get the benefit of deeper insight into a technical question from a forum, and that informs your decision, so much the better. But it is still your decision, not ours. I don't understand the questions that so often are posted about color choice........? The colors are there for all to see, and what you like in a color is what you like. If I tell you I like red, does that mean you should like red? I'm a new M owner and just do what appeals to me for the car. You will never please everyone at the same time, don't try too hard.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 07:29 PM   #22
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

the spoiler actually is a functional one and not just for looks. so I wouldn't remove it.

Appreciate 0