03-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

Squeak when braking from downhill to a standstill

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
There's some minor squeek coming from my brakes. Particularly going from 10 km/h to 0 km/h, the squeek starts at about 3 km/h until the car is at standstill. It's very minor but I wonder if this is normal? My car is at 3000 km.

Btw got to say the brakes on this car are very stable and progressive, in emergency situations it stops the fast rolling heavy car very smoothly and firmly. Raced a new Cayenne Turbo couple of days ago and had to stop at a traffic light, pushed them hard and it was amazing how well it stopped. Also when applying brakes so hard, brake lights blink and even my emergency lights went on. That's probably to alert cars behind and avoid getting rear ended.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Did it start squeeking after you emergency braked?
Happened to me on my 528 stock brakes and it has been squeeking coming to a stop ever since, but only when its humid, and the car is cold.
Downhill is worse, nothing when facing uphill.. its mostly in the front.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
Did it start squeeking after you emergency braked?
Happened to me on my 528 stock brakes and it has been squeeking coming to a stop ever since, but only when its humid, and the car is cold.
Downhill is worse, nothing when facing uphill.. its mostly in the front.
It either started happening after my emergency break or I didn't notice it before. First time I heard it was the same night I did the emergency brake at after goiing about 200 km/h. Doesn't happen in a straight line, don't know about uphill but downhill it squeaks from about 3 km/h to 0 km/h shortly.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
It either started happening after my emergency break or I didn't notice it before. First time I heard it was the same night I did the emergency brake at after goiing about 200 km/h. Doesn't happen in a straight line, don't know about uphill but downhill it squeaks from about 3 km/h to 0 km/h shortly.
I sanded the front rotors, after seaches turned up 'glazing' as a culprit, and the noise was completely gone for a few months. But I also changed back to the original rims at the same time, so I couldn't tell if it was resonance with the aftermarket rims. I will try a different brake pad material next, the brake slips over or grasp too abruptly the rotor when too much or too little force is applied right before a stop.
Appreciate 0