M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

05-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #89
Terraforce1
If you ain't first, you're last!
Singapore
Rep
Drives: '14 Boxster GTS + 14' 1199 S

Great race. Congrats to Maldonado

I'm getting a bit irritated with Mclaren to say the least. They seem to be getting worse in terms of stupid errors.

The one thing I can say though, is it's great to see 5 different race winners. This season has proven to be far more exciting than last year. Every race you don't know what to expect.

Looking forward to Monaco
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #90
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Oh crap!!! Major fire erupted in the pits of the Williams Team.

05-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #91
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Holy crap! I hope no one was seriously hurt. So unfortunate after the great race they had.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #92
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon
Holy crap! I hope no one was seriously hurt. So unfortunate after the great race they had.
Williams KERS went kaboom????
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #93
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

No overhead fire suppression system in the garages??? Really?

Hope no one was hurt. Sad their celebration was marred by that. It'll be interesting to hear about how it happened.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #94
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Said to be caused by the KERS unit, probably from Senna's car. A couple minor injuries reported.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18051779

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #95
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

One serious injury, apparently. Sad. KERS is more trouble than it's worth.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/autoracing/2...lliams_garage/

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #96
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
One serious injury, apparently. Sad. KERS is more trouble than it's worth.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/autoracing/2...lliams_garage/

Damn thats an update no one wanted to hear. Really sucks when something like that happens. Hope the person recovers. It's unfortunate that this just kills their awesome victory.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #97
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
crazy crazy crazy

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #98
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
I wouldn't be surprised if there is an investigation over the safety of KERS, or at least the post-race procedures, if it is the determined the KERS unit is the cause. An explosion with 16 injuries is pretty hard to overlook.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #99
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I deal with lithium batteries all the time with model helicopters, planes, and cars. All that needs to happen is a small hole in the casing, or overcharging, or over discharging, and they go off. They burn like a high pressure flame thrower. Ticking bombs. I know of many people who have had their LiPo batteries ignite while being stored, with nothing going on, no charging, not being used, they just went off out of the blue (internal short), one friend had his garage burned down.

The batteries in the KERS systems are basically overcharged and over-discharged during every race.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #100
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Its not surprising. Senna had just started a new lap and was probably saving his freshly available KERS for his upcoming battle with Schumi. So he was taken out with full KERS and the batteries suddenly discharged in the garage as they were discharging them for transport is my guess.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #101
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Congrats to Williams on their first win in a rather long time.

I think Hamilton's drive was great, and I look forward to see a release of his on board for the first few laps. Button really seemed to be off his game and unhappy with everything McLaren gave him. Fernando, well I ended up rooting for Fernando to win it, he made a great push but that car just still doesn't have it all yet.

On the fire at Williams, my first impression as that Williams really knew how to celebrate a win!
After hearing it injured people though, that is massively unfortunate and I hope they can all make full recoveries.
      05-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #102
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I deal with lithium batteries all the time with model helicopters, planes, and cars. All that needs to happen is a small hole in the casing, or overcharging, or over discharging, and they go off. They burn like a high pressure flame thrower. Ticking bombs. I know of many people who have had their LiPo batteries ignite while being stored, with nothing going on, no charging, not being used, they just went off out of the blue (internal short), one friend had his garage burned down.

The batteries in the KERS systems are basically overcharged and over-discharged during every race.

Yeah the USPS is starting a ban on the shipping of Lithium batteries overseas starting this wednesday. It kinda sucks for us military folks who are overseas now, but they have more than good enough reasoning for it, as they have been linked to 2 cargo plane crashes since '06.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #103
Nang Vann
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, R35 GT-R

Oh man, that's not good, especially after such a great race, hope everybody is ok
      05-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #104
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Looked like I missed another great race weekend!!!

I'm sensing Lotus and Kimi will win next race???

What a season!!! Messed up the Pirelli GP Challange result that I predicted, but absolutely worth it for an awesome season!!!

Hope the Williams crews who were injured in the garage to have a speedy recovery!!! What an eventful for such a great team, love to see Williams F1 Team back on the top of the podium. A pole, a win, and a huge fire in the garage.
      05-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #105
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Would it be possible sparks from the KERS pack while discharging ignited the fuel and fumes that's also being unloaded from the car???

Quote:
A massive post-race fire in the Williams garage as the team celebrated Pastor Maldonado's victory at the Spanish Grand Prix left the pit lane shrouded in acrid smoke as firefighters rushed in to tackle the blaze.

The FIA confirmed that there were 31 team members seen at the medical centre after the incident and that seven required further hospital treatment. It was believed that the fire started after fuel ignited as television footage showed an intense fire rising at the back of the Williams garage, while a number of teams reacted to help. A Williams team statement confirmed that three team members remained in hospital on Sunday evening:

"After today's Spanish Grand Prix a fire occurred in the team's garage which originated from the fuel area.

"Four team personnel were injured in the incident and subsequently taken to the medical centre. Three are now receiving treatment at local hospitals for their injuries, while the fourth has been released. The team will monitor their condition and ensure they receive the best possible care.

"The team, the fire services and the police are working together to determine the root cause of the fire and an update statement will be released in due course."

Caterham's Heikki Kovalainen also tweeted: "Couple of our guys got injuries, burns and maybe one broken wrist, no news on Williams guys I hope they're ok".

A Caterham statement soon followed, reading: "All the team's employees have been accounted for and four people have been taken to the circuit medical centre for examination; one with a minor hand injury and three with respiratory issues."

Frank Williams was quickly removed from the garage and later told Sky Sports "Everything was OK when I left, but there was a lot of smoke around so I don't really know. Secondary information says no-one's hurt but I must go and verify that because I think the police are still there."

An FIA statement confirmed the number of team members who were treated: "Thirty-one team members were seen by Circuit Medical Centre staff and all have been released, with the exception of seven who were transferred to a variety of local hospitals where they are receiving treatment.

The FIA is collaborating closely with the Spanish authorities investigating this incident and will be providing a further update as soon as more information becomes available."

Force India's chief operations officer Otmar Szafnauer also said that he thinks the teams reacting well to the situation.

"We were a few garages away having our debrief when we saw all the smoke and ran over. It smelled like an electrical fire to me - I've heard it could be a KERS pack - but we don't know. We all ran over to help and I've got to go and check on one of our mechanics who I believe inhaled some smoke. I think he's at the medical centre here so I'm going to go and check on him. I believe he's OK. We all ran down with our fire extinguishers to help put it out. It's good that we do have fire extinguishers almost everywhere in the garage but that is a bit fortunate that almost all the teams went down to help put it out."
http://en.espnf1.com/spain/motorsport/story/78583.html
      05-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #106
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List

05-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #107
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
http://www.formula1onlive.com/2012/0...age-after.html
Attached Images

05-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #108
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Would it be possible sparks from the KERS pack while discharging ignited the fuel and fumes that's also being unloaded from the car???
http://en.espnf1.com/spain/motorsport/story/78583.html
Thats the theory I posted several hours ago

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #109
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Thats the theory I posted several hours ago
Lalalalala!!! Didn't read!!!

Just checked the result and reading some of the news online at Hong Kong Airport now...trying to download the race sometime later....
      05-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #110
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Lalalalala!!! Didn't read!!!

Just checked the result and reading some of the news online at Hong Kong Airport now...trying to download the race sometime later....
well ill spoil it. Senna got hit in turn 1 and was subsequently taken out. My theory is that he had a full load of KERS on board because he knew that schumi was closing fast and he would need it.

And theres a lot of energy in a fully charged KERS pack, and they cant transport it charged. So they have to discharge it after the race. Something went wrong and the KERS pack discharged uncontrolled and ignited something near by and the blaze took off from there.

As someone stated previously the batteries they use are fairly volatile. So its not all that surprising

Appreciate 0